Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XSE
12 Posts
You have to look it up based on your car interior options. The part number for mine is 51900-08050-C3 (no DVD, no sunshade, and I hope I got the color right). Dealer can determine the color based on Vin (I had to call and ask before ordering). They certainly don't make it easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the install for the spare tire kit for my 2022 LE AWD today. Overall I thought the kit was very easy. The instructions were very detailed and it took me about 2 hours to do the install. I took my time, you could easily knock it out in probably an hour if you wanted.

The first part was getting the various cover plates and the old side panel out.

20220831_135706.jpg

20220831_142133.jpg

20220831_140748.jpg

The instructions here are pretty clear. Just be careful pulling the various pieces out, I found using a plastic pry tool very handy for this. The instructions don't tell you to remove the two 10mm bolts holding the straps for the middle row 8th passenger seat (if you have one) but that is pretty obvious. You have to unplug a few electrical connectors and fiddle with the emergency gas door release, but that is all detailed in the instructions and easy to do.

Next up was to install the new bracket for the spare.

20220831_143134.jpg

The bracket only goes one way. The only odd thing here is that the kit has a package of 3 bolts, but you only use one.
20220831_145218.jpg

Here's the new panel with the tire provision that came in the kit. After this it was just a matter of following the instructions and putting everything back that you took out. The only thing here that I deviated from was that I re-used the one time clips for my side door scuff plate. The factory clips each had a small rubberish gasket that seemed to seal the clip onto the hole where it fit. The replacement clips I bought from toyota did not have this gasket. If the scuff plate comes loose I can always use the other clips I bought.

Cutting the carpet for the jack and cover was simple. The nuts not included in the kit are needed to bolt down the jack holder. The instructions say that there is supposed to be a sticker that goes where the jack handle goes, but there was no sticker in my kit. I don't think it's crucial, I know how to operate a scissor jack.

I still need to get my spare mounted on the rim, but that step is outside the scope of this install.

That's it! Hope this helps anyone looking to tackle the spare tire kit.
Great insight and info shared! Thanks and congrats on your install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope, it needs to be a temp spare sized rim and tire. I think it's like a 185?
Hi. Doesn't the tire need to be the same circumference as the mounted tires and not shorter due the AWD, especially for the 2 front tires if one goes flat? Or are the 2 front tires independent axles? Just want to be sure if all 4 tires are independent with no common transaxle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 XSE
12 Posts
Hi. Doesn't the tire need to be the same circumference as the mounted tires and not shorter due the AWD, especially for the 2 front tires if one goes flat? Or are the 2 front tires independent axles? Just want to be sure if all 4 tires are independent with no common transaxle?

Thanks!
I did a little math on the spare and all available tire sizes by adding the wheel diameter and tire thickness:

Spare: T155/80R17 = 17 + 3.15 + 3.15 = 23.3"
17": P235/65R17 = 20 + 2.6 +2.6 = 22.2"
18": P235/60R18 = 18+ 2.4 + 2.4 = 22.7"
20": 235/50R20 = 20+ 2 + 2 = 23.9"

As you can see, the spare total diameter is somewhere in the midle. Worst case scenario is about an inch off, which should be fine for temporary use.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Here is a little update ..... I figured out there was no need to cut the carpet to install the jack, so I just made holes where the mounting bolts protruded and forced the jack assembly onto them.

Of course no nuts in the kit (GRRRR), so I just put temporarily what I had and it stays in place.

Hood Car Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

The jack assembly sits in the cargo well. You cut out a piece of the carpeting on the right side of the well. That will expose 4 threaded studs. The jack assembly then fits over those studs and the four nuts that are not included in the kit but specified in the instructions are used to tighten it down and hold it in place. The biggest thing here is to not cut too much of the carpet away but the instructions give you a good plan to follow using tape to outline the jack assembly.
Off the top of your head, what nuts are needed for bolting the bracket on the wall? I either didn't get the baggie with those nuts, or lost is :( . Tried some nuts from my DIY cabinet, but it looks like the size matches, but the thread is different - perhaps imperial vs. international?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Ya know, I kind of thought the same thing. However, the tire specified in the retrofit kit is the exact same size tire that is specified in the factory option. And there are people that have gotten an AWD Sienna and the spare tire option from the factory as well. I suspect that using the spare tire will result in higher utilization of the differential (two tires spinning at different speeds will cause the differential to "turn"). But it's been this way for our vehicles for years, so I guess the Toyota engineers feel it's OK. It's also probably why they say to only use the spare for short distances and under 50 mph.

I did some research online and some AWD manufacturers have sensors that will disable the AWD if it senses a temp spare on one of the rear wheels. Since our AWD is electric and completely decoupled from the FWD drivetrain, I would think that this would be trivial to do. But who knows if this is what happens for our Siennas?

Bottom line, the tire kit specs the same size tire as the factory option. While I hope I don't have to use it, I feel better having it available over that ridiculous can of fix-a-flat. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The cap nuts are part 90176-06051 and were one of the two parts not included in the main kit but specified in the instructions. Being a cap design, they cover the threads as they lock down on the stud. The best I can tell you is that they took a 10mm deep well to cinch them down. I would recommend ordering them, they weren't expensive.

Here is a little update ..... I figured out there was no need to cut the carpet to install the jack, so I just made holes where the mounting bolts protruded and forced the jack assembly onto them.

Of course no nuts in the kit (GRRRR), so I just put temporarily what I had and it stays in place.

View attachment 58232

Off the top of your head, what nuts are needed for bolting the bracket on the wall? I either didn't get the baggie with those nuts, or lost is :( . Tried some nuts from my DIY cabinet, but it looks like the size matches, but the thread is different - perhaps imperial vs. international?

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
The cap nuts are part 90176-06051 and were one of the two parts not included in the main kit but specified in the instructions. Being a cap design, they cover the threads as they lock down on the stud. The best I can tell you is that they took a 10mm deep well to cinch them down. I would recommend ordering them, they weren't expensive.
Tnx, are those nuts for the jack or for the bracket? (sorry for the stupid question, I recall asking/complaining about both :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You want to get rid of the spare tire and get the trim piece that has the holder for the middle row third seat? I suppose you could find it on an exploded Toyota parts diagram and order it, but I have no idea if it comes in a kit like we are getting to add the spare tire. I suppose that someone that did the conversion here would give you theirs. I have no use for my old trim piece, unfortunately it would likely be prohibitively expensive to ship.

I’m looking for the part to order that does not have the spare carrier. I already have the spare factory installed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
No worries, happy to help! Those nuts (four of them are needed) are what hold down the jack housing in the well. The factory puts in the studs regardless if you have the spare tire kit or not. The cover each of them with four plastic covers so they don't poke through the carpet. I pulled the four plastic nuts off, dropped the jack over the studs, and tightened down the four cap nuts. It ends up holding the jack housing nice and tight. The supplied plastic cover goes over the jack and gives it a nice finished look.

Tnx, are those nuts for the jack or for the bracket? (sorry for the stupid question, I recall asking/complaining about both :)

·
Registered
Sienna LE AWD 2022
10 Posts
I did the install for the spare tire kit for my 2022 LE AWD today. Overall I thought the kit was very easy. The instructions were very detailed and it took me about 2 hours to do the install. I took my time, you could easily knock it out in probably an hour if you wanted.

The first part was getting the various cover plates and the old side panel out.

20220831_135706.jpg

20220831_142133.jpg

20220831_140748.jpg

The instructions here are pretty clear. Just be careful pulling the various pieces out, I found using a plastic pry tool very handy for this. The instructions don't tell you to remove the two 10mm bolts holding the straps for the middle row 8th passenger seat (if you have one) but that is pretty obvious. You have to unplug a few electrical connectors and fiddle with the emergency gas door release, but that is all detailed in the instructions and easy to do.

Next up was to install the new bracket for the spare.

20220831_143134.jpg

The bracket only goes one way. The only odd thing here is that the kit has a package of 3 bolts, but you only use one.
20220831_145218.jpg

Here's the new panel with the tire provision that came in the kit. After this it was just a matter of following the instructions and putting everything back that you took out. The only thing here that I deviated from was that I re-used the one time clips for my side door scuff plate. The factory clips each had a small rubberish gasket that seemed to seal the clip onto the hole where it fit. The replacement clips I bought from toyota did not have this gasket. If the scuff plate comes loose I can always use the other clips I bought.

Cutting the carpet for the jack and cover was simple. The nuts not included in the kit are needed to bolt down the jack holder. The instructions say that there is supposed to be a sticker that goes where the jack handle goes, but there was no sticker in my kit. I don't think it's crucial, I know how to operate a scissor jack.

I still need to get my spare mounted on the rim, but that step is outside the scope of this install.

That's it! Hope this helps anyone looking to tackle the spare tire kit.
Hi, could you post the part number that you bought and how much for them? Because I see that there are #51900-08050-C1, #51900-08050-C2, #51900-08050-C3 for this part. My Sienna is the same with you Sienna LE AWD 2022. I went to my dealer in this morning they said they can’t sell this part for me. I have to order online this part so I need to confirm the part number to fit with my interior color. Thank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I keep seeing references to the “spare tire kit” - is this an official Toyota kit or is it an aftermarket kit? Do you have the link? Someone on Facebook directed to this post and mentioned a PDF for the install and I can’t seem to see that either. My husband is looking into this to see if we can relax our requirement to have a spare tire along with our van so we can get in a Sienna quicker since many of them aren’t coming with spare tire options from the factory. Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi, could you post the part number that you bought and how much for them? Because I see that there are #51900-08050-C1, #51900-08050-C2, #51900-08050-C3 for this part. My Sienna is the same with you Sienna LE AWD 2022. I went to my dealer in this morning they said they can’t sell this part for me. I have to order online this part so I need to confirm the part number to fit with my interior color. Thank.
I bought part number 51900-08050-B2. I first called a dealer that another siennachat member had gotten a kit from and confirmed the B2 color suffix for my VIN. That dealer couldn't get me a kit so I ordered one from Toyota of Romeoville IL (I live in central IL). I paid $263.79 plus $16.86 shipping plus tax. There is a wide variety of part number depending if you have a rear shade or the rear entertainment. Attached is the doc I used to help me find the right part number. This PDF came from someone else, I am just re-posting it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 SE & 2022 LE
37 Posts
No worries, happy to help! Those nuts (four of them are needed) are what hold down the jack housing in the well. The factory puts in the studs regardless if you have the spare tire kit or not. The cover each of them with four plastic covers so they don't poke through the carpet. I pulled the four plastic nuts off, dropped the jack over the studs, and tightened down the four cap nuts. It ends up holding the jack housing nice and tight. The supplied plastic cover goes over the jack and gives it a nice finished look.
Thank you for your install post, i just finished my install this morning. You rock! 👍🏼🙂
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I just posted the PDF that has the various part numbers. The PDF of the installation instructions is in this thread as well as others that discuss the whole spare tire saga of the 4th gen Sienna.

The kit is an official Toyota part, not aftermarket. Everything in it is OEM Toyota. The kit does not have the rim, tire, or a couple of miscellaneoud fasteners. Everything is spelled out in the instruction PDF. They probably don't include these extra fasteners because these kits are usually installed by Toyota techs who have probably have bins full of what is needed to do the install.

Some folks here have posted that finding online dealers that have the kits and are willing to ship them has been a challenge. The main kit comes in a rather large box. It isn't heavy but I would imagine that UPS charges a premium to ship it. I don't know if that's the reason for dealers not willing to ship it, that's just a guess.

I keep seeing references to the “spare tire kit” - is this an official Toyota kit or is it an aftermarket kit? Do you have the link? Someone on Facebook directed to this post and mentioned a PDF for the install and I can’t seem to see that either. My husband is looking into this to see if we can relax our requirement to have a spare tire along with our van so we can get in a Sienna quicker since many of them aren’t coming with spare tire options from the factory. Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks everyone for posting part numbers and instructions. I just got my 2022 AWD LE without spare (believe me I wanted one for $75 but it wasn't available), so today I ordered a 51900-08050-B2 kit from my local dealer. The B2 refers to the color; the guy at the parts desk used the last 8 characters of my VIN to look up which color kit to get for me. He quoted me about $260 for the kit.

What spare tire and rim are you all putting in? I have my eye on the Modern Spare because it uses a lighter aluminum rim, and the tire is rated to run at up to 81mph. The Modern Spare is 155/90R18 and the parts guy said the stock OEM spare is T155/80R17, so same overall diameter but the modern spare is on a smaller rim with a thicker tire.

1) Anyone successfully fit the Modern Spare in the spare tire spot? If not, do you think it would fit?
2) Anyone know how much the stock/OEM spare tire weighs for comparison?

·
Registered
2014 SE & 2022 LE
37 Posts
Thanks everyone for posting part numbers and instructions. I just got my 2022 AWD LE without spare (believe me I wanted one for $75 but it wasn't available), so today I ordered a 51900-08050-B2 kit from my local dealer. The B2 refers to the color; the guy at the parts desk used the last 8 characters of my VIN to look up which color kit to get for me. He quoted me about $260 for the kit.

What spare tire and rim are you all putting in? I have my eye on the Modern Spare because it uses a lighter aluminum rim, and the tire is rated to run at up to 81mph. The Modern Spare is 155/90R18 and the parts guy said the stock OEM spare is T155/80R17, so same overall diameter but the modern spare is on a smaller rim with a thicker tire.

1) Anyone successfully fit the Modern Spare in the spare tire spot? If not, do you think it would fit?
Just get the OEM size 155/80/17, anything bigger than that won't fit... I tried 175/90/18 & full size tire and it won't fit, so i got my '14 Sienna's spare & swapped it to my '22 & surprised that it is 155/80/17, fits like a glove...

·
Premium Member
893 Posts

Just get the OEM size 155/80/17, anything bigger than that won't fit... I tried 175/90/18 & full size tire and it won't fit, so i got my '14 Sienna's spare & swapped it to my '22 & surprised that it is 155/80/17, fits like a glove...
For some stupid reason I am not able to find any T155/80R17's :( ..... there are T155/80D17's in several brands. In your opinion, does this matter?

21 - 40 of 97 Posts