Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their hanger cable replaced or like me, told it's in process..?? Over 1 year to solve ?? Driving with spare in back--on floor of van.
??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your situation is like me. I went to Dixie-Toyota for an oil change and this recall 3 weeks ago. They have put my spare tire at the back as they do not have the parts that day for the hanger and they will call me when it is ready. I called them last week if ready, but they said it's not available yet. Dont know how long it will take??

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,340 Posts
So I asked about it this past week when my van was in for other work.

If you had the assembly replaced when the first recall came out in the 2011 time frame, they should have greased it up good. Assuming they did, they will just inspect it on this round and as long as it still looks decent they will let it remain in place. But if you didn't get it done and are still driving with the original, they are required to disable or remove the winch assembly and stow your tire in the 3rd seat well. Toyota will no longer provide the first revision winch to the dealers. Mine was inspected (a high salt area) 4.5 years after they installed the revised part, and they left it alone.

Why is it taking so long to redesign it to make it more rust proof? The guy I talked to thinks they are just trying to run out the clock and hope people accept the relocation plan. It's actually 'legal' in the eyes of the NHTSA, as at one time Toyota actually sold a kit for AWD vans (hold-down bolt and a carpeted cover for the well) if you wanted the security of a spare with your runflat tires.

How can you tell if your van has the redesigned winch? The original used a Hex (6 sided bolt head) in the floor of the second row to operate it. The redesigned part uses an oddball 5 sided adapter.

BTW, you can actually still buy the revised winch yourself from the parts counter should you want to put your relocated spare back under the van.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just had this done last week, and wouldn't you know it, I got a flat! I couldn't readily lower my spare because I was unaware of the oddball 5 sided bolt and did not get an adapter from the dealer. I will be contacting them about that!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had it done about six months ago (in NJ) on our 2006 Sienna, when they finally had new parts. It is a good thing that I decided to check how to lower the tire before I needed it on the road. The nut is different from the old one, so they give you a special socket, which is located on the jack. They also put on a new instruction sticker on how to change the tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts