Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Sienna. Just put four new tires (225/60R17) on. As usual, spare tire is the issue. Can I use a 215/65R16 for a spare? It came off this van so I know it fits its just the AWD issue! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I responded in your other thread too:

I am assuming your van has AWD, since you mention that as an issue. In that case, you have to compare the overall circumference of the two sizes:

View attachment 58407
As you can see, there is a 2.2% deviation in circumference, or 0.6" in diameter. I'm sure there is a very conservative factory specification for the exact amount that is considered tolerable, but I'd be quite surprised if that small of a difference would cause harm over the limited distance you'd likely travel on the spare before you got the regular (matching) size tire repaired or replaced. I say this because the overall difference shown on that chart is within the possible difference you could have with a brand new tire being combined with a well worn tire of the same size (i.e. with the tread worn down on a 225/60-17 tire, you're basically at the same diameter of that 215/65-16 tire).
Unless you're figuring on running thousands of miles on that spare, I wouldn't give it a second thought about using it (just to get out of a pinch).

$.02

1 - 2 of 2 Posts