Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just test drove a 2021 XLE, and I was surprised it did not come with a spare tire given its only a $75 option. I suspect the overwhelming majority of customers much prefer to have a spare even if it means losing a modest amount of cargo space and one of the 135 cupholders. I was even more surprised that the Build a Toyota app does not allow you to add both the spare tire and the entertainment package. Hopefully this is just a glitch in the app and there is not a structural reason that both options cannot be added.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe it’s me having zero flat tires in 25 years and 300k miles of driving, knock on wood but I rather have the space and the inflation kit. I wish you can get the spare a la carte so I can bring the spare on long road trips and keep the non spare interior.

I looked into a compact spare when I upsized my oem tire for my current vehicle (to match the diameter for Awd) and the tires were very expensive due to unique skinny sizing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had many flat tires (while driving) in my 30 years of driving but it has happened. I would not feel comfortable going on long family trips with no spare. That will be one of the main purposes of this vehicle so a spare tire is a must have for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's a must have for me as our Sienna is our road trip vehicle. While it may be very rarely needed, it is a huge safety net if needed. I am very disappointed that Toyota is shipping so few 21's without the spare.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Maybe it’s me having zero flat tires in 25 years and 300k miles of driving, knock on wood but I rather have the space and the inflation kit. I wish you can get the spare a la carte so I can bring the spare on long road trips and keep the non spare interior.
The storage space lost with the gen 4 Sienna spare tire appears to be trivial. There's a similar looking storage space in my gen 3 Sienna and all it's good for it for is for holding my hitch drawbar when I'm not using it and my little folding snow shovel that I carry only in winter. I should be leaving the drawbar home anyway when I'm not using it. .

It should be possible to get the gen 4 Sienna spare wheel/tire as a replacement part if your Sienna doesn't come with it and you want one.

Getting a spare tire is another reason to order your gen 4 Sienna instead of buying one off a dealer's lot.

I've set a sort of "personal flat tire record" with our Sienna in the 6 1/2 years we've had it - two flat/ruined tires in a two week period last summer and a few other flats when the tires weren't ruined.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The storage space lost with the gen 4 Sienna spare tire appears to be trivial. There's a similar looking storage space in my gen 3 Sienna and all it's good for it for is for holding my hitch drawbar when I'm not using it and my little folding snow shovel that I carry only in winter. I should be leaving the drawbar home anyway when I'm not using it. .

It should be possible to get the gen 4 Sienna spare wheel/tire as a replacement part if your Sienna doesn't come with it and you want one.

Getting a spare tire is another reason to order your gen 4 Sienna instead of buying one off a dealer's lot.

I've set a sort of "personal flat tire record" with our Sienna in the 6 1/2 years we've had it - two flat/ruined tires in a two week period last summer and a few other flats when the tires weren't ruined.
That (hitch) sounds like a very dangerous projectile in an accident IMO.

I’ll have to see it in person.

I was hoping to put a lithium iron battery in that spot similar to my PLB40 to run a dometic fridge when the van is off.

I bet getting the spare at the parts counter will be $500+ Add more for the trim pieces.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Imagine the donut help transferring the impact from a rear end/side collision to 3rd row passengers. I don’t think that’s the perfect location for a spare tire to rest.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That (hitch) sounds like a very dangerous projectile in an accident IMO.

I’ll have to see it in person.

I was hoping to put a lithium iron battery in that spot similar to my PLB40 to run a dometic fridge when the van is off.

I bet getting the spare at the parts counter will be $500+ Add more for the trim pieces.
Wouldn’t the new 1500 watt inverter option plug in the rear cargo now handle a fridge? If the 1500 watt plug is live when vehicle is off you wouldn’t need a separate battery.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wouldn’t the new 1500 watt inverter option plug in the rear cargo now handle a fridge? If the 1500 watt plug is live when vehicle is off you wouldn’t need a separate battery.
If it is then I wouldn’t, but I doubt Toyota will let a 1500watt inverter stay hot when off. The USBs and 12v are not hot

You can run the dometic fridges off a 12v power socket. They only use 45watts when running.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imagine the donut help transferring the impact from a rear end/side collision to 3rd row passengers. I don’t think that’s the perfect location for a spare tire to rest.

The Chrysler Pacifica also has its optional spare located in the same location, as did the 3rd gen Honda Odyssey.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just test drove a 2021 XLE, and I was surprised it did not come with a spare tire given its only a $75 option. I suspect the overwhelming majority of customers much prefer to have a spare even if it means losing a modest amount of cargo space and one of the 135 cupholders. I was even more surprised that the Build a Toyota app does not allow you to add both the spare tire and the entertainment package. Hopefully this is just a glitch in the app and there is not a structural reason that both options cannot be added.
We also would prefer having a spare. Just looked at a Limited. The dealer went looking for one on a lot with a spare. In Oklahoma Toyotas are distributed from Gulf States Toyota. The dealer said Gulf States is not ordering any with spares. They looked into buying the spare and associated trim pieces and doing a retrofit, and concluded it would be cost prohibitive. So, a 2 to 3 month factory-ordered vehicle is the only way to get a spare in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
We also would prefer having a spare. Just looked at a Limited. The dealer went looking for one on a lot with a spare. In Oklahoma Toyotas are distributed from Gulf States Toyota. The dealer said Gulf States is not ordering any with spares. They looked into buying the spare and associated trim pieces and doing a retrofit, and concluded it would be cost prohibitive. So, a 2 to 3 month factory-ordered vehicle is the only way to get a spare in Oklahoma.
How about checking with Toyota dealerships in Kansas and Missouri? We live in Kansas but sometimes purchase vehicles in other states.

Maybe your local or another Toyota dealership could modify an existing order for an unsold Sienna. When I bought my Sienna Limited in 2014 from a Missouri dealership, the wait time was reduced by modifying an existing order for a modestly equipped shoreline blue LE to a blizzard pearl Limited with all packages and a number of factory/port installed accessories. I actually had to suggest that they do this but it was easy to convince the sales manager that they would rather have a higher profit Limited arrive sold than put a lower profit unsold LE on their lot. I got my Sienna in exactly 28 days after the existing order was changed and might have received it sooner if there wasn't a stop sale on the trailer hitch that I had to approve before assembly could commence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m surprised they considered changing a good chunk of the car for you. I am wondering if it is reasonable to ask the dealer to swap out the tires to run-flats before we take delivery. Any idea if gen3 tire size matches that of gen4 Platinum Awd(18 wheels)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't had many flat tires (while driving) in my 30 years of driving but it has happened. I would not feel comfortable going on long family trips with no spare. That will be one of the main purposes of this vehicle so a spare tire is a must have for me.
My story on Flat Tires with my vehicles...Have three vehicles, currently. Getting a new one in 2021.

I have had flats a block from the house. And two flats within two months, driving on local streets.
Going across count had two flats before i got to my friends house. Had to replace several of the tires and were able to patch the others. All from debris on the highway. Nails, screws and other construction junk that you can not see.

So I believe in having a spare tire. If my vehicle does not have one, I get one from a salvage yard. Just make sure it is secure in its location.
Driving around town, usually have a flat yearly. Had Two already this year and had to replace both tires. There is no state laws in requiring construction trucks to secure boxes of screw and nails, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My story on Flat Tires with my vehicles...Have three vehicles, currently. Getting a new one in 2021.

I have had flats a block from the house. And two flats within two months, driving on local streets.
Going across count had two flats before i got to my friends house. Had to replace several of the tires and were able to patch the others. All from debris on the highway. Nails, screws and other construction junk that you can not see.

So I believe in having a spare tire. If my vehicle does not have one, I get one from a salvage yard. Just make sure it is secure in its location.
Driving around town, usually have a flat yearly. Had Two already this year and had to replace both tires. There is no state laws in requiring construction trucks to secure boxes of screw and nails, etc.
We haven't had as many flats as you, but our Sienna does seem to take a nail roughly every 4-5 years. Yeah, I really want a spare tire when it comes time to replace it.

FWIW, on the 2021 Pacifica you can only get a spare tire on the lower 2 trims in FWD thanks to GVWR and wheel size, for $495. The upper 2 trims, Limited and Pinnacle, are AWD only with self sealing tires. Pacifica Hybrid can't have a spare tire IIRC as the charging hardware is behind the driver's side rear wheel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Help me understand, wouldn’t the fix a flat/compressor work for you just as well in these situations with a nail? And wouldn’t that seal the tire so it can be used for the remainder of it’s mileage?

I think I’ve wrapped my mind around not having the spare.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Help me understand, wouldn’t the fix a flat/compressor work for you just as well in these situations with a nail? And wouldn’t that seal the tire so it can be used for the remainder of it’s mileage?

I think I’ve wrapped my mind around not having the spare.
In my experience, Fix-a-flat is not a very reliable way to fix a flat tire. It didn't work for me the two times I tried it. Luckily I had a spare tire to save me. Even the instructions say that it should only be used for a 1/4" hole or smaller. So if you have anything other than a very small nail in the tire then you are hosed.

The better question is why Toyota didn't just make a spare tire standard for all their cars. I suspect most customers prefer a spare even if its not a deal breaker for them. Just another bizarre choice that Toyota made for the 2021 MY. I wanted to buy a loaded 2021 Platinum but now I have to find one of the few with a freaking spare.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my experience, Fix-a-flat is not a very reliable way to fix a flat tire. It didn't work for me the two times I tried it. Luckily I had a spare tire to save me. Even the instructions say that it should only be used for a 1/4" hole or smaller. So if you have anything other than a very small nail in the tire then you are hosed.

The better question is why Toyota didn't just make a spare tire standard for all their cars. I suspect most customers prefer a spare even if its not a deal breaker for them. Just another bizarre choice that Toyota made for the 2021 MY. I wanted to buy a loaded 2021 Platinum but now I have to find one of the few with a freaking spare.
We have been looking for the same. Platinum with spare is like a Unicorn

1 - 20 of 47 Posts