Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently brought a 2021 Sienna mini-van (my first mini-van) and slowly figuring out how to load it for camping trips. I decided I like to load some gear on the roof in a cargo basket and/or bag.

My issue. Even standing on the inside of the sliding doors, I can't really reach far enough, particularly towards the rear crossbar. I have searched for some solutions but wanted to get people's opinion for what they use and comments on any of the solutions I have found so far.

Some of the solution types that appear to work when reading on the internet. All links are only meant as an example for discussion purposes only.

1) Tire step - Seems like a great solution. Looks like most stable and small. Only thing that I see might be a problem is buying one that will fit into the wheel well.

2) Step ladder platform - Found these step ladder platforms and they are pretty high (this one goes 23.5 inches high). I think they would work better than normal step stools (either funny angle and/or not high enough).

3) Car door step - I see lots of these for sale, but b/c the Sienna is a sliding door, it doesn't seem like I would be able to reach fall enough on the backside of the car.

One detail to call out. As this is for camping, I would like the solution to be as small as possible so not to use up too much room inside the car. The whole reason to get the cargo basket/bag is b/c I am already filling up the interior. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I stand on the rear tire but have slipped in the rain once or twice. I have a platform like the one you've linked. They are extremely stable and fold up relatively flat. Useful for seating when camping. Thanks for the idea! I too was leaning towards buying a tire step. Door steps are smallest and easiest to store but I wouldn't like to see that much weight on a door latch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts