Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked a couple mechanics about this noise and I have yet to get a answer. The noise got a little softer once we had the transmission fluid changed but the noise is still there. I'm hoping someone out there has figure out this noise so I can stop trying to! Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I think this is the first time I've heard a vehicle make noises that sound exactly like crickets chirping.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This doesn't sound like a transmission noise to me. It sounds like either the serpentine belt slipping, or a PCV system leak.

My Cruze made a somewhat similar noise when the crank seal failed. Does the noise stay constant while accelerating? Or is it only at idle?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Did you not already post this vid a while back? I think advice was given that it was the donut gasket and bolt/spring setup on the front pipe. My van makes the same noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you not already post this vid a while back? I think advice was given that it was the donut gasket and bolt/spring setup on the front pipe. My van makes the same noise.
I did post it about a year ago. My mechanic checked all the bolts and springs and they seemed fine. I don't think he checked them under load or well being torqued. Did you repair your van or do you just live with it? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This doesn't sound like a transmission noise to me. It sounds like either the serpentine belt slipping, or a PCV system leak.

My Cruze made a somewhat similar noise when the crank seal failed. Does the noise stay constant while accelerating? Or is it only at idle?
I only notice it when I come to a stop or shift from drive to reverse, seems to be associated with the torquing of the motor and or shifting gears.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I did post it about a year ago. My mechanic checked all the bolts and springs and they seemed fine. I don't think he checked them under load or well being torqued. Did you repair your van or do you just live with it? Thanks.
I have only been here for a couple months (4) and seen that vid here before. Due to some change overs here I can not find the thread. No I have not fixed mine yet. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have only been here for a couple months (4) and seen that vid here before. Due to some change overs here I can not find the thread. No I have not fixed mine yet. :)
It's the donut flange. I had this noise too and was freaking out. Basically, when you shift it puts torque on the engine which will move your muffler. Your muffler is designed to move with the motor mount. It's a simple replacement under a lift. Takes a bit more endurance if you're doing it under jack stands and on your back. But, not too bad. Just keep your mouth closed... cause it's a bit rusty down there! Oh and wear safety glasses.

·
Registered
13 Posts

My replacement part was 17451. But, I will have to do 17420x next as well. Soak in penetrating oil as those bolts are likely VERY rusted. Impact if possible so you don't round out the heads. But, do NOT lay on it with the impact. You might just snap it in half... then you'll have fun drilling :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 43861

My replacement part was 17451. But, I will have to do 17420x next as well. Soak in penetrating oil as those bolts are likely VERY rusted. Impact if possible so you don't round out the heads. But, do NOT lay on it with the impact. You might just snap it in half... then you'll have fun drilling :)
Thank you very much. I will get those parts replaced. Is it wear that causes the parts to make that noise or is it a bad design?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you very much. I will get those parts replaced. Is it wear that causes the parts to make that noise or is it a bad design?
Rust man. A lot of freaking salt in the winter where I live. And no matter how much I wash when it's not freezing in the summer... I still get rust!

It even messed up my flow sensor on the AC condensor this past winter too. Luckily, the Chinese knocked off the sensor and sells it for 40 bucks on ebay. So it's running again w/o the $2,000 quote from a Toyota dealership to replace the entire condenser unit!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well. I finally got around to replace my gasket. 17451. Always made that sound when warm. You can see where it was rubbing. (metal on metal). New donut and all is good now. My welded nut was in bad shape and did not hold up well. I still used bolts/spring with a new nut on the backside.

011.jpg 013.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's the donut flange. I had this noise too and was freaking out. Basically, when you shift it puts torque on the engine which will move your muffler. Your muffler is designed to move with the motor mount. It's a simple replacement under a lift. Takes a bit more endurance if you're doing it under jack stands and on your back. But, not too bad. Just keep your mouth closed... cause it's a bit rusty down there! Oh and wear safety glasses.
It was this !! I finally got around to doing it . Replace the donut gasket in the rear and no squeaks ! Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts