Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were traveling down the highway with a trailer in our 2007 XLE AWD Sienna. One of the trailer tires had a blow out and we pulled over to repair.

We got back into the Sienna, started it up, and then I tried to move the tranny from park to drive but the gear selector was locked in park. I noted that the ABS and VSC lights were on. I tried a reset on anything electrical (disconnecting the battery), which did nothing. We found that there is a manual override button on the transmission selector, which I was then able to move the car into drive.

It felt like the car was pulling a little on the driver side (maybe ABS?).

I will have to take the car in. Anyone else have this problem or something similar? What type of repair bill will I be looking at?

Cheers

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just my 2 cents, if it is pulling then maybe the caliper(s) are sticking or being applied by the abs ,but be careful not to overheat the brakes and then they will fail or cost $$$. Good luck drive safe

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check your brake light fuse and check to see if your brake lights are actually working. If they are ok, check the cruise control fuse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to a dealer who would look at it tomorrow. He suggested the brake fuse maybe the only problem. Sure enough, I replaced fuse, all the problems went away. I had not realized at the time that I had no brake lights.

Trailer is stll being fixed, as the blow out took out a bunch of wiring. The van is working great and the fix was $ 2.

Your advice Wag was the way to go.

Cheers

·
Registered
225 Posts
Glad I could help.
Your situation is a perfect example of why it is a good idea to come here and ask about something before running to a stealership. The collective knowledge available here can sometimes be very helpful and can save a Sienna owner time and money.
BTW, check to make sure that ALL of your Sienna's rear lights are working. If you shorted out the trailer wiring you could have a couple of other blown fuses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue whit the van being stuck in park. The VSC light is on and the ABS light too. No brake lights. We pulled the fuse and it was blown but when we replaced it it blew again. Where could the problem be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
when we had the codes read on our Sienna it said there was something wrong with the brake switch. Also that there was either an open circuit or a short. We are testing the brake switch before we order a new one. Any other suggestions out there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same exact problem VSC and ABS lights on, stuck in park and brake lights not working. It occurred after Uhaul installed hitch wiring. To add a bit of clarity to this thread for people like myself who are mechanically challenged... I replaced the 10A "stop" fuse inside the cabin under under driver's side dash. This seems to have solved all issues. I had no idea which fuse was the break fuse but found info in this post elsewhere...
http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/toyota-sienna/TRAV5HIERGDEHKRML/p3

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I have a new twist for you all...Like others, I had the VSC and ABS lights on and the tranny locked. But brake lights worked. Code reader suggested faulty brake switch so I replaced it. Fixed things for one day. Then idiot lights came back on and tranny locked again. And THEN the parking brake failed. Pedal moves up and down but it won't "latch" in the down position, and the parking brake is locked "on" so the car won't move. Brake lights still work.
PLEASE someone have a brilliant idea for me? I'm out of work and can't afford an adventure at the dealership...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the problem described above on my 2005 Sienna XLE Limited. I checked the STOP fuse and sure enough it was blown. Replaced it and blew again immediately. Have had a trailer hitch and lighting harness for over a year with no issues and was not using it when the problem started. Any other suggestions before I take it to the shop?

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Disconnect the trailer wiring module. A problem or short there is likely knocking out your taillights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disconnect the trailer wiring module. A problem or short there is likely knocking out your taillights.
Thanks for the response. Turns out it was a poorly installed bulb (dealership) that was shorting out the system. I have a new mechanic I am taking the van to. After I explained the issue and what I had done to solve it, he replaced the two Stop bulbs and the blown fuse in about 10 minutes and the problem is solved. They didn't charge me (possibly due to trouble shooting I had already completed and narrowed the problem for him). Thanks for all the responses on this thread, it was very helpful. The shop that I went to was TLC in San Diego. Seem like good guys, I hope the relationship with them keeps up, I will be taking both our Toyotas there in the future.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Glad to hear it was something that simple!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2009 sienna is also stuck in park. Non of the lights are working except for headlights and hazard. No radio, no fan, no wipers, and no power to seats. I checked all the fuses and non are blown. Can still drive with shift over ride but no brake lights. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I had the same ABS & VRS warning lights on and could not move out of park (06 Prado Diesel Auto).......found the blown brake light fuse........replaced the fuse......and my warning lights are gone and able to shift out of Park. Thank you for this post and Merry Christmas to all !

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are the only person that is describing to a T the problem I’ve having with my 2005 Sienna. if you can remember can you tell me what fixed it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are the only person that is describing to a T the problem I’ve having with my 2005 Sienna. if you can remember can you tell me what fixed it?
My 2009 sienna is also stuck in park. Non of the lights are working except for headlights and hazard. No radio, no fan, no wipers, and no power to seats. I checked all the fuses and non are blown. Can still drive with shift over ride but no brake lights. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Did you do anything with the battery or alternator?? Cross boost the Sienna? Sounds like the main bus bar has blown in the juction box under the hood by the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you do anything with the battery or alternator?? Cross boost the Sienna? Sounds like the main bus bar has blown in the juction box under the hood by the battery.
No I haven’t done anything with either the battery or alternator. I’ll have to research which one is the main bus bar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts