Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Sienna with around 115,000 miles on it.

Recent work:
PCV Valve
VVT Solenoids
Cleaned VVT Filter Screens
Oil changes every 3,000 miles.

The van has a rattle when going about 2,000rpms when cold, but when it warms up after a few minutes of running the noise goes away.

This van has been running conventional its whole life from what I can tell by service records. I was thinking on either of the following.

A. Use Lucas regular or full synthetic oil stabilizer which is compatible with non synthetic oil to hopefully ease the noise down and provide some better protection.
B. Switch to high mileage synthetic blend.

Now the issue I have with A. is will Lucas harm the VVTI.

And option B. will the high mileage synthetic blend hurt the seals, this van does not have any leaks at all and high mileage oil has seal conditioners and my worry is will these seal conditioners harm seals that aren't leaking to begin with and end up causing a leak.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2002 Sienna with around 115,000 miles on it.

Recent work:
PCV Valve
VVT Solenoids
Cleaned VVT Filter Screens
Oil changes every 3,000 miles.

The van has a rattle when going about 2,000rpms when cold, but when it warms up after a few minutes of running the noise goes away.

This van has been running conventional its whole life from what I can tell by service records. I was thinking on either of the following.

A. Use Lucas regular or full synthetic oil stabilizer which is compatible with non synthetic oil to hopefully ease the noise down and provide some better protection.
B. Switch to high mileage synthetic blend.

Now the issue I have with A. is will Lucas harm the VVTI.

And option B. will the high mileage synthetic blend hurt the seals, this van does not have any leaks at all and high mileage oil has seal conditioners and my worry is will these seal conditioners harm seals that aren't leaking to begin with and end up causing a leak.
If you choose to make the switch to full synthetic, I would consider that the increased detergents may dislodge various deposits of sludge, so you might want to do the first change and then a second change maybe 1K miles later. Otherwise, I can't see any reason why it would harm the VVTI.

As for the seal conditioners causing a leak, I would think that would be poor engineering, but I have no experience with that. There is a huge thought in my head that says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That said, if you have lifter noise at cold start-up, I would just add in a quart of 5w30 (assuming you're using 10w30) at your next oil change and see if it goes away without any leaks. As an '02, you may just have to accept that it will make some noise.

·
Registered
210 Posts
115,000 is not high miles. If it were mine I'd use the recommended synthetic oil. No snake oil. Now, leaks probably will come from age not oil type anyway. Valve cover gaskets are common. You'll just have to deal with it.
I wonder what ever happened to those canisters with the electric valve from the 60's that would store a small amount of oil under pressure to prelube the engine when turning the key to on? 90% of engine wear are from cold starts. Maybe the valve stuck making cold starts worse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wonder what ever happened to those canisters with the electric valve from the 60's that would store a small amount of oil under pressure to prelube the engine when turning the key to on? 90% of engine wear are from cold starts. Maybe the valve stuck making cold starts worse.
They had something like those as after-market accessories well into the 80s. My friend's dad put a pre-lube on his car, but I believe it was an in-line electric oil pump. Every time we got in the car, he had to turn the key to the 'On' position and wait 30 seconds or so before starting the car. My only guess is that, with the superior formulations of modern multi-weight oils, it leaves a decent coating on parts for initial lubrication so you don't have it running metal-on-metal contact with no oil. Additionally, 5W and 0W oils probably provide much better lubrication at a cold start. I know my truck called for 10W30 originally, but people complained about lifter noise at cold start in winter, so they released a TSB to switch to 5W30.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts