Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve found two spots on my tailgate that appear to have formed indentations and waves in the metal since I bought it in March. One is a wave at the top of the license plate (between the plate and the plate light fixture) and the other at each downward bend in the design above the plate area below the “S” and “A”. I know with absolute certainty these aren’t from an impact of any kind (I.e no scrapes or scratches, chips, and they’re perfectly symmetrical in their placement and in the shape and size of the indentation). This leads me to believe there’s some sort of stress underneath that’s causing these to form, especially on the two corners of the bend.

Has anyone else experienced this??

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just noticed the same indentations on mine. I had not noticed them before today, and we took delivery in late January. Don‘t know if it’s related, but we have just started having 90 degree weather in my location. Did you notice yours right after some hot weather? My understanding is that the tailgate is made of some kind of plastic resin, not metal. I am just guessing that the indentations are the result of the thick parts of the resin curing out. Comment back what your dealer has to say about it, and I will do likewise when I get around to taking it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I noticed it after a week long hot spell of sunny 90+ degree days (I'm in VA), and I know for certain they hadn't been there before that because I washed it and went over it with a fine tooth comb. Good to know about the tailgate; I was trying to tell what material the tailgate was because it didn't quite feel like metal but was much different from the plastic bumper cover.

I have my 5K service coming up at the end of the month, so will report back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, I noticed it after a week long hot spell of sunny 90+ degree days (I'm in VA), and I know for certain they hadn't been there before that because I washed it and went over it with a fine tooth comb. Good to know about the tailgate; I was trying to tell what material the tailgate was because it didn't quite feel like metal but was much different from the plastic bumper cover.

I have my 5K service coming up at the end of the month, so will report back.
Another possibility is than the resin skin has more thermal expansion than the frame it is attached to, or vice versa, causing some stress at the indentations. I plan on inspecting It again on a cool day to see if they go away.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting thought and very plausible. Unfortunately I won't find a cool day to test until October 😓.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts