Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve found two spots on my tailgate that appear to have formed indentations and waves in the metal since I bought it in March. One is a wave at the top of the license plate (between the plate and the plate light fixture) and the other at each downward bend in the design above the plate area below the “S” and “A”. I know with absolute certainty these aren’t from an impact of any kind (I.e no scrapes or scratches, chips, and they’re perfectly symmetrical in their placement and in the shape and size of the indentation). This leads me to believe there’s some sort of stress underneath that’s causing these to form, especially on the two corners of the bend.

Has anyone else experienced this??

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just noticed the same indentations on mine. I had not noticed them before today, and we took delivery in late January. Don‘t know if it’s related, but we have just started having 90 degree weather in my location. Did you notice yours right after some hot weather? My understanding is that the tailgate is made of some kind of plastic resin, not metal. I am just guessing that the indentations are the result of the thick parts of the resin curing out. Comment back what your dealer has to say about it, and I will do likewise when I get around to taking it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I noticed it after a week long hot spell of sunny 90+ degree days (I'm in VA), and I know for certain they hadn't been there before that because I washed it and went over it with a fine tooth comb. Good to know about the tailgate; I was trying to tell what material the tailgate was because it didn't quite feel like metal but was much different from the plastic bumper cover.

I have my 5K service coming up at the end of the month, so will report back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, I noticed it after a week long hot spell of sunny 90+ degree days (I'm in VA), and I know for certain they hadn't been there before that because I washed it and went over it with a fine tooth comb. Good to know about the tailgate; I was trying to tell what material the tailgate was because it didn't quite feel like metal but was much different from the plastic bumper cover.

I have my 5K service coming up at the end of the month, so will report back.
Another possibility is than the resin skin has more thermal expansion than the frame it is attached to, or vice versa, causing some stress at the indentations. I plan on inspecting It again on a cool day to see if they go away.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting thought and very plausible. Unfortunately I won't find a cool day to test until October 😓.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just had it in at the dealership. The ripples above the plate mount they deemed "normal" since others on the lot had it. They took several pictures of the two top indentations and sent them off to Toyota and opened a case to investigate. They hadn't seen it before, so this will likely be a lengthy process I'd imagine. More to come, hopefully.

Nothing like buying a $40-$50k new car, keep it up meticulously, park in another zip code from the store you're going so to avoid door dings, to have the car basically dent itself. 😔

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just had it in at the dealership. The ripples above the plate mount they deemed "normal" since others on the lot had it. They took several pictures of the two top indentations and sent them off to Toyota and opened a case to investigate. They hadn't seen it before, so this will likely be a lengthy process I'd imagine. More to come, hopefully.

Nothing like buying a $40-$50k new car, keep it up meticulously, park in another zip code from the store you're going so to avoid door dings, to have the car basically dent itself. 😔
My feelings, too. First car I’ve owned with a self-dinging door. Haven’t had it in to the dealer yet as I do all of my own maintenance and live an hour away from the dealer, but will also report the problem the next time we are in the dealer‘s location.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Paint match should be good. From a factory video I’ve seen, it looked like all hatches are painted separately from the bodies, and then installed to the body once the hatch is assembled.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paint match should be good. From a factory video I’ve seen, it looked like all hatches are painted separately from the bodies, and then installed to the body once the hatch is assembled.
Thanks, I’m hoping so too and being a dark color it should be easier to match. However, this is being taken to their body shop and from what I’ve gathered it sounds like they’re painting it at the shop. I’d be much happier with a factory-painted one than a shop one.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
895 Posts
As I recall in the Toyota video that I watched, they painted the vehicle with the doors on. They then removed them to provide easier access for the production line workers. The doors went down a parallel path and met up with the same vehicle near the end of the line.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like it’s a moot point…mccartsj was told the new hatch would have to be painted in the dealer’s body shop. That makes sense, as Toyota Parts probably isn’t going to stock anything but unpainted body parts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Finally took mine in to my Toyota dealer to get some warranty issues addressed, one of them being the depressions that formed in the tailgate at the start of hot weather. Didn‘t get very far on that defect. They have a call in to corporate to see what the remedy is.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
510 Posts
Sure enough I have seen this now on my van. More noticeable on the left side than the right side. Not sure there is one on the right yet until I wash the van and get good lighting on it. I can definitely see it on the left under the S in the SIENNA.

It's not super noticeable so I probably won't complain or anything but this definitely seems like a Toyota quality issue. If a fix ever comes out I'll get it done otherwise not gonna worry.

I live in florida and so its definitely hot here and it's been over 90 the last 5 or so days.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The dealership called me several weeks after reporting the defect to tell me Toyota would replace the tailgate because of the two depressions that formed at the start of hot weather. However, the service manager could not tell me if the cause of the defect would be addressed with the replacement tailgate. Replacement would involve disassembling and removing the problem tailgate, painting the new tailgate, reassembling and installing it. I am on the fence as to whether to let them replace it. Seems like there will be some opportunities to introduce new defects during the repair. I might trade a minor design defect for several more serious repair defects, and a week without the use of the Sienna. I think I might email Toyota corporate to see if they can tell me that the cause of the defect has been identified and would be addressed in the replacement tailgate, and then decide if the cure is worth the side effects from the medicine.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
510 Posts
Based on the fact that several people have noticed and reported the exact defect, and presumably countless more probably have it but haven't noticed, and Toyota seemingly knows nothing about it, I'd venture your replacement tailgate has a decent chance of exhibiting the same behavior.

Not worth chasing for me until Toyota admits a fault and has a documented remedy.

Thanks for updating!

·
Registered
86 Posts
When you say replace the tailgate, is it just the exterior panel/"skin", or are you talking the entire lift gate, including window?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts