Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2009 sienna and rear door stopped working. I hear the sound but nothing happens. I’ve seen some videos on YouTube about replacing sticky button, I’ve ordered and replaced, but problem still exists. When I removed the plastic from the rear door I see that the motor works, rotates something but door won’t unlock.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
With the rear panel off you should have a clear shot at the motor that actuates the latch hook action. I've never taken a motor off, but IIRC, the bolts holding the motor were pretty visible. How that motor hooks into the latch mechanism is unknown to me, but these things are meant to be serviced. The linkage is probably pretty simple (but no longer connected....).

I've never seen anyone describe how do this, so YOU will have the honor of writing up a brief description of how it's done!

Seriously, good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I posted in similar thread and will copy here solution:

Ok, in the end I fixed it. Not sure what caused it though. I didn't see any piece of glass (though I had it shattered a year ago and replaced). What I found out is that lever lock is a metal piece, wrapped in thin plastic. It was somewhat damaged and I'm not sure if it was because of me poking it with a screwdriver))) I'm thinking it was old and worn out and a small piece of plastic stuck in there and the lock couldn't work anymore (car has 260k miles. I have another Sienna, older, over 420k and no such problem). I sprayed WD-40 generously and was removing that plastic piece by piece.

Here are 2 pics. 1 shows plastic on lever still on, 2nd - removed.

All of this took me about 3 hours. So I guess clean your lock with wd-40 at least once in 10 years)))

1 - 3 of 3 Posts