Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got Techstream installed on my Windows tablet. Now I don't need to lug my Windows laptop out to the Sienna to scan it.

I am running a Mongoose OBD II cable with an OTG adapter that connects it to the micro USB port on my tablet.

Uh oh!!! Looks like I got some work to do on the Sienna.

·
Registered
34 Posts
how hard was it to get this up and running, I would LOVE to do the same thing. Which tablet? and where did you get the cable and software?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the Tablet at Frys Electronic for 60 bucks. It's a Window 10 tablet, not an Android or IOS Tablet. The OBD II cable is a Mongoose cable that I found on the internet. The software for Techstream came with the Mongoose cable. Fairly easy to install the software and the driver.

Website for the Mongoose Cable:

http://www.buyobdtoolshop.com/wholesale/mongoose-vci-toyota-v830023-single-cable.html

Website for the Tablet, I bought my on a Black Friday Sale:

https://www.frys.com/product/9037367

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any windows device should be able to work. I have Techstream installed on A Sony Vaio laptop running XP, a Toshiba netbook running Windows 7.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where can you get the techstream software?
It came with the Mongoose cable that I ordered, but I'm sure you can find a site to download it. Just be careful where you download the software because you could also be downloading a virus onto your machine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks.. Great post..... Now wondering can this software reprogram keys and test components.. Like oxygen sensors... Basically what does this software allow Yu to test or monitor,

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.. Great post..... Now wondering can this software reprogram keys and test components.. Like oxygen sensors... Basically what does this software allow Yu to test or monitor,

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Program can allow you delete keys that are already registered with the car computer and register new keys. It has some bi-directional components testing capabilities. There are plenty of youtube videos on people using this software on their Lexus, Toyota and Scion. It's too cold to be playing around with it now, but once spring comes around I will play with it a little more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Updated.
I ordered the MINI-VCI J2534 cable. It arrived with a small CD containing techstream V12.20.024
Recently i got the software update to Ver. 14 where you can find free download resource link above
I managed to get the VCI to to work with Win7 x64.
The techstream seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
I have one of my dad's old laptops, an ancient HP Pentium dual core with Win 7 from 2009/2010 timeframe. I was going to toss it, but instead I reformatted the HHD, put a copy of Win10 64 bit OS on it, and loaded up Techstream 14.30.023 with a cable that was sold as being 2.0.xx but really seems to be 1.4.1. I made a new Smart Key with it, so it seems to be alive and functional. So it doesn't take much firepower.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been using this old Sony mini laptop running XP 32 Bit, but would like to upgrade to a newer tablet as it is a bit slow

What's the cheapest compatible 64 Bit Windows 10 tablet with full sized USB?

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
My opinion? Don't go nuts on a fast laptop or tablet to interface with a vehicle. The OBD-II connector has all the 'speed' of a DB-9 serial port (remember it is a 1996 interface protocol), and Techstream is likely a single or dual thread program so a multi-core processor is overkill. Plus, most of these knock-off mini-VCI J2534 cables are real dogs. I'd be surprised if you see a huge jump in performance by spending a lot of money.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, my old mini notebook is a dog just booting up and although TechStream runs fine on it, I'm kinda limited to the older versions, which is why I want o upgrade to a Windows 10/64 bit machine, but looking for the cheapest one out there :sneaky:

I'd prefer a tablet (or 2 in 1), but I wanna make sure it will be compatible cause I've see instances where tablet based windows like RT and such didn't work :unsure:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts