Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters, I'm dumb sometimes.

But the van was running great. I was getting rid of it in 2 years. So why do maintenance?

Then circumstances changed. Now I have an extra car, and I'm keeping the Sienna for another 5+, and I want to perform the 120k maintenance. Not because I need to (car runs fine, right?), but because it's prudent and I have an extra car right now.

SHOCKS AND STRUTS
I thought my Sienna was driving like a van because it's... a van. I've been taking turns wide lately like it's a 10k pound RV. The front end sinks like a heavy van should.

With new shocks and struts it drives like the Camery it's based off of. Should've done this at 120k. I can whip it around more like the 2019 Optima Sport we just got.

Plus it brakes better now that the nose stays more level. Just confidence-inspiring in a car I already have complete confidence in.

PLUGS
Go ahead. Google search the guy who has 190k on his plugs. Then check the price on this job. Or the billable time. Or the fact you need to tear everything off the engine and get new o-rings. No one wants to do this.

I did it my self because I'm cheap, I liked the challenge, and I'm cheap. I fully expected the plugs to look beautiful like my Hyundai's did at 100k. 5 of 6 had a gap within spec. 1 had some grain-sized contamination. They looked worn, but not awful.

I changed them anyway and went for a drive, expecting no difference. But I was shocked. I'm so used to this slight hesitancy coming off a stop. I assumed it was an ageing transmission. But that's gone.

Power delivery on the highway seemed smoother but I think I'm probably making that up.

WHAT'S NEXT
Coolant. Serpentine belt. Then I'm done and I can sell the extra car. Nothing is better than doing your own work when you've got a backup car. It's pure luxury!

I used OEM parts except for struts because I wanted them pre-assembled. I figured it was worth the extra 15-20% given how reliable the old ones were.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
What brand strut assemblies did you use and whats your feedback on the ones that you have installed.

Javvy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What brand strut assemblies did you use and whats your feedback on the ones that you have installed.

Javvy
Monroe's Quickstrut. I haven't driven the car enough other to say it's certainly an improvement in handling. Sure, the ride isn't as soft (a frequent complaint on-line) but I suspect if you hopped in a brand new Sienna you'd find the new struts similarly stiff.

I think I will disassemble the only ones and keep the springs. I am very impressed with Toyota part quality and I don't expect the Monroe's to last as long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts