Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The following is a simple DIY to upgrade 80% of the interior lights to LED. Like most of you, I was disappointed in the light output of the current Sienna's interior lights. This is my first DIY post for the Sienna but I made a few before back in the day on 9thgencorolla.com when I had a '05 Corolla.

You may wonder why only 80%, the reason is I can't yet figure out the driver/passenger map lights in my 2021 Toyota Sienna XSE. I made an attempt but removing the plastic trim was getting more complicated beyond my comfort level. As of this posting (Jan 2021) there aren't any exploded diagrams or even parts available online like you would normally find on the Toyota Parts website. So rather than crack something, I'd rather wait until a diagram comes out to further study how to replace those lights. Now for the rest of the DIY:

Suggested Tools
  • Small slotted screwdriver
  • Masking tape or electrical tape
  • Trim removal tools
Links for the Light Bulbs I Used
Nowadays there are lots of places to get cheap LEDs. There are three bulb styles for the interior. I suggest LASFIT for two of them. I've used them before on my other vehicles and they've always been reliable. I don't see that they carry the light for the visor so I went with something I found on Amazon. So far they work ok.
Window Visor Lights
The lens on the window visors is held in place by four tabs circled in red. Best to approach this by pulling on the edge that is adjacent to the mirror as there are no tabs there.
Visor1.png

Once you remove the lens cover the old halogen bulb looks like a fuse. Simply pull it from the prongs and install the new LED festoon bulbs. If you have trouble with the new bulbs working, make sure both sides of the visor have their new lights installed and try flipping the bulbs like you would a battery.

Visor2.jpg

2nd Row Lights
The second-row lights use a hinged cover. You'll want to start prying on the lens closest to the driver/passenger with the aim of pulling it towards you. I forgot to take a picture of the lens removed but it uses a wedge-based 194 halogen bulb. Simply pull out the old one and replace it with a new one. Repeat on the other side.

2ndRow_1.png 2ndRow_2.jpg

3rd Row Light
I feel like this particular light has been in Toyota vehicles for at least 20 years. This is a hinged design, you'll want to insert your small screwdriver in the lens cover and pull the cover towards you. You'll expose the 31mm festoon halogen bulb. There is a small tab like a battery that you can depress and the bulb will fall right out. Replace with the new LED bulb. Toyota uses festoon bulbs that have these special tabs to help align it in the holder but with a little patience, you should get the new one put in.

3rdRow_1.png 3rdRow_2.png

Puddle Lights for Driver/Passenger Doors
The covers on these lights are hinged, pull from the bottom and towards you. Once the housing falls out, you can disconnect the wiring harness from the housing. You may need a small screwdriver to help depress the tab.
Door1.png Door2.png

The housing is a few parts. You'll want to remove the hinged cover. Start by inserting a slotted screwdriver into the small opening and pull the cover up. Once you do that, you can remove the cover and change the bulb. Close it back up and reinstall.

Door3.png Door4.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(2nd post since I reached max picture attachments in the original)

Cargo Area
This housing pulls down from the right. I found it easier to separate the headliner from the weather stripping and simply "push-down" the housing. You can disconnect the housing from the wiring harness like the driver/passenger doors. As with that housing, you'll have to pull the cover off. I'd admit this one was a bit nerve-wracking as I was sure I was going to break it.

Trunk1.png Trunk2.png Trunk3.png Trunk4.jpg

After it's all said in done you'll get a nice bright interior (minus the driver area)
PXL_20210102_223536209.jpg PXL_20210101_040143262.jpg

License Plates
These lights were a little gnarly. The Sienna instruction manual goes into good detail on how to remove these. In fact, it's one of the three lights the manual shows you how to changes (rear turn signal and backup lights are the other). Start off by taking a screwdriver and removing the trim from the left or right side. You'll want to wrap it in tape to protect the paint. One the trim is off you can remove the plastic clear cover. There are two small holes that you need to "press" in order to release the cover. You have to press inwards. Once again, the Sienna's manual does a good job of illustrating this. Once the cover is removed, you can replace the bulb. You can see a good difference in light output (pic taken an hour before sunset).
License1.png License2.png License3.png

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're awesome thanks for the detailed post! I was itching to replace the license plate lights that looked yellow and sad and you detailed everything - thanks!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awesome write up! Looking forward to doing mine. Still blows my mind how Toyota puts fancy led headlights, fogs and tail lights, but can't use led lighting in the interior. Oh well, minor issue that can be solved quite easily

·
Registered
21 Posts
I prefer incandescent for the interior rather than LED. The reason is that incandescent has a CRI (color rendering index) of 100. All the colors that the eye is sensitive to are transmitted by the bulb for more natural light. High quality LEDs have CRIs in the lower 90s. The light quality is pretty good but you have to open your wallet. They aren't cheap. Incandescents surpass them in CRI and they are cheap. The interior lights are not a big power draw like the exterior lights so it makes sense to use incandescents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the easy-to-follow guide! Loving the brighter interior light, especially the puddle lights. Please post an update if you figure out the map lights! Thanks again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I prefer incandescent for the interior rather than LED. The reason is that incandescent has a CRI (color rendering index) of 100. All the colors that the eye is sensitive to are transmitted by the bulb for more natural light. High quality LEDs have CRIs in the lower 90s. The light quality is pretty good but you have to open your wallet. They aren't cheap. Incandescents surpass them in CRI and they are cheap. The interior lights are not a big power draw like the exterior lights so it makes sense to use incandescents.
Check out Philips 194 Ultinon bulbs, they have a frosted cover for light diffusion and available in 4000k. If they made 3000k I’d get those.

Not sure about their CRI but I prefer LED for brightness and lower power consumption. One less thing to worry about when car camping where the lights can stay on for extended periods.

3.8 watts x 10-12 bulbs x 6hrs add up. Add car audio, charging devices...

·
Registered
106 Posts
(2nd post since I reached max picture attachments in the original)

Cargo Area
This housing pulls down from the right. I found it easier to separate the headliner from the weather stripping and simply "push-down" the housing. You can disconnect the housing from the wiring harness like the driver/passenger doors. As with that housing, you'll have to pull the cover off. I'd admit this one was a bit nerve-wracking as I was sure I was going to break it.

View attachment 48283 View attachment 48284 View attachment 48285 View attachment 48286

After it's all said in done you'll get a nice bright interior (minus the driver area)
View attachment 48287 View attachment 48288

License Plates
These lights were a little gnarly. The Sienna instruction manual goes into good detail on how to remove these. In fact, it's one of the three lights the manual shows you how to changes (rear turn signal and backup lights are the other). Start off by taking a screwdriver and removing the trim from the left or right side. You'll want to wrap it in tape to protect the paint. One the trim is off you can remove the plastic clear cover. There are two small holes that you need to "press" in order to release the cover. You have to press inwards. Once again, the Sienna's manual does a good job of illustrating this. Once the cover is removed, you can replace the bulb. You can see a good difference in light output (pic taken an hour before sunset).
View attachment 48289 View attachment 48290 View attachment 48291
I think this is what your are looking for.
INTERIOR LAMP. 2021 Toyota Sienna | Toyota

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hope somebody better than I will be able to complete this job. I was able to take the map light assembly down. Note the two red clips are towards the windshield and you have to pull from the windshield towards the cabin. That was the easy part. From there I had a lot of difficulty removing the power ribbon cable which limited my ability to open the assembly to access the lights or even get good pictures of the bulb. There is definately no way to replace the bulbs without taking the assembly down. And then disassembling the housing. Definately not a job for the faint of heart.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Now that I have the vehicle, Looks to me the fronts ones where door switches are might warm color temp LEDs?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm tempted to spray in the interior of some of those housings with silver or line it with silver mirrored card stock.

Especially on the 2nd row and puddle lights. Seems like over 60% of the light is wasted shining into a non reflective surface. Im using my favorite go to Philips Ultinon LEDs so I want every single lumen out of the housing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts