Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope somebody better than I will be able to complete this job. I was able to take the map light assembly down. Note the two red clips are towards the windshield and you have to pull from the windshield towards the cabin. That was the easy part. From there I had a lot of difficulty removing the power ribbon cable which limited my ability to open the assembly to access the lights or even get good pictures of the bulb. There is definately no way to replace the bulbs without taking the assembly down. And then disassembling the housing. Definately not a job for the faint of heart.
Can the map light bulbs be removed by popping off the len cover or do you have to remove the entire module of the pic?

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
200 Posts
This was posted on Facebook. Another user was able to open the map light console, and the map lights are indeed led, but soldered to the board. He shows a trick of putting a blue filter over the yellow warm LEDs to make them look white, but can't really brighten them
If he went through all that trouble surprised he didn’t solder in new LEDs. He just made them dimmer

·
Registered
73 Posts
This was posted on Facebook. Another user was able to open the map light console, and the map lights are indeed led, but soldered to the board. He shows a trick of putting a blue filter over the yellow warm LEDs to make them look white, but can't really brighten them
Did he mention what filter material he used?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did he mention what filter material he used?
Hi I’m “the guy” who did this, It bothered me that the map lights were not uniformed with the white led lights I had replaced in the back. I actually cut out small blue gift tissue to filter the leds to illuminate whiter than yellow. Might be not the best option for everyone but it works for me, the front map lights aren’t even emitting that much light and it’s actually magnified by a plastic lens

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi I’m “the guy” who did this, It bothered me that the map lights were not uniformed with the white led lights I had replaced in the back. I actually cut out small blue gift tissue to filter the leds to illuminate whiter than yellow. Might be not the best option for everyone but it works for me, the front map lights aren’t even emitting that much light and it’s actually magnified by a plastic lens
Oh great you're here. Good job. What adhesive did you use to make them stick? Could you share how you opened it? and did you damage anything or break any clips in the process? If it is not too difficult, I might do it and place blue light gels, the ones that photographer's use as filter. That should tame the yellow a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh great you're here. Good job. What adhesive did you use to make them stick? Could you share how you opened it? and did you damage anything or break any clips in the process? If it is not too difficult, I might do it and place blue light gels, the ones that photographer's use as filter. That should tame the yellow a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Then the it falls right out View attachment 49491
I carefully pryed perimeter of the cover , it was a little challenging around the rear viewing mirror, once that comes off , you’ll find two screws located in between the two sliding door and sunroof buttons

Once you remove the two screws your can open the lid and find the led lights, let me know how that photographer film works for you , I don’t mind opening it up and re doing it. As an adhesive ( don’t mind my tackiness but I used small amount of packaging tape heh , but it works !

i actually had a couple trial runs with different products, first I used a blue sharpie marker. It was too blue , I even used a sky blue and it didn’t work that well. The light got dimmer. Then I tried white art paint. And that didn’t work as well either , not letting the light penetrate the magnifying lenses then I just used the blue gift tissue paper, the most challenging part was prying the cover off the actual unit in order to get to those two screws. Other than that it was pretty quick . Would have taken 30mins if had the proper color filtering Instead of trial and error .
Hope this helps everyone who attempts this. Interested to know what creative ideas used for a filter over the yellow led lights

·
Registered
73 Posts
I carefully pryed perimeter of the cover , it was a little challenging around the rear viewing mirror, once that comes off , you’ll find two screws located in between the two sliding door and sunroof buttons
View attachment 49493

Once you remove the two screws your can open the lid and find the led lights, let me know how that photographer film works for you , I don’t mind opening it up and re doing it. As an adhesive ( don’t mind my tackiness but I used small amount of packaging tape heh , but it works !
View attachment 49494

View attachment 49495
i actually had a couple trial runs with different products, first I used a blue sharpie marker. It was too blue , I even used a sky blue and it didn’t work that well. The light got dimmer. Then I tried white art paint. And that didn’t work as well either , not letting the light penetrate the magnifying lenses then I just used the blue gift tissue paper, the most challenging part was prying the cover off the actual unit in order to get to those two screws. Other than that it was pretty quick . Would have taken 30mins if had the proper color filtering Instead of trial and error .
Hope this helps everyone who attempts this. Interested to know what creative ideas used for a filter over the yellow led lights
My blue gel filter just arrived today and unfortunately it is too blue. I initially bought this to cover my bedroom lights as the led lighting in my apartment is the fixed type, and not the e26 base. Here is the item i bought.

So i figured I'll just find light blue transparent folder at walmart.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
200 Posts

This will give you the exact shade you want if you want to gel it and reduce output in favor of a higher cooler color temperature

The best way is to solder in new LEDs if you want 5000-6000K color tint.

·
Registered
73 Posts

This will give you the exact shade you want if you want to gel it and reduce output in favor of a higher cooler color temperature

The best way is to solder in new LEDs if you want 5000-6000K color tint.

View attachment 49500
It sure is the best way if done right. I prefer the 4500k - 5000k. I have very poor soldering skills as I only have experience in soldering audio cable tips. I know it might be easy for some but it can get complicated for those who have little knowledge about current and resistors like me. I won't jump into doing this until there is a tutorial so I won't screw it up. :D Hope someone can does one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recently bought a black xse awd a month ago. I had an issue with both key fobs working intermittently. Sometimes the door unlocked, sometimes it didn't, sometimes the sliding opened, sometimes it didn't, sometimes I would get an error "key not detected" even with the key in my pocket. This was very strange so I brought it to the dealership and they took two hours to tell me its not the battery and reprogramming the key fobs would not fix the issue. They told me that I would have to leave it with Toyota and they would have to open a case because the technician has never seen anything like it. They said it would take a day or multiple days if they have to replace a part. I left and decided to bring it back since I needed the van for the day.

After returning home, I decided to do some research myself. There's no way I'm the only one with this issue. So I check sienna chat and did some googling, hoping that it's not because it's the new redone 2021 sienna. I ended finding the solution. I had replaced all interiors bulbs, license plate and reverse bulbs to Led a few weeks ago. Reading that it could be caused by the diodes in the LED that caused interference to the shark fun antenna that mixes signals with the key fob to the van. So I decided to turn off Tha cargo LED since that was closest to the shark fin antenna. And bam that was the solution, all functions on the both key fobs started working again. I am super happy to know that it's not the siennas fault. It's the LED in the cargo. Do not buy the Lasfit LED brand from Amazon for your cargo light. Instead use a different brand (dynamic diodes). All locations with lasfit worked fine.

Hope this was super helpful for people. Im sure eventually someone with run across this issue (hopefully not) but if you do this is the solution.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I recently bought a black xse awd a month ago. I had an issue with both key fobs working intermittently. Sometimes the door unlocked, sometimes it didn't, sometimes the sliding opened, sometimes it didn't, sometimes I would get an error "key not detected" even with the key in my pocket. This was very strange so I brought it to the dealership and they took two hours to tell me its not the battery and reprogramming the key fobs would not fix the issue. They told me that I would have to leave it with Toyota and they would have to open a case because the technician has never seen anything like it. They said it would take a day or multiple days if they have to replace a part. I left and decided to bring it back since I needed the van for the day.

After returning home, I decided to do some research myself. There's no way I'm the only one with this issue. So I check sienna chat and did some googling, hoping that it's not because it's the new redone 2021 sienna. I ended finding the solution. I had replaced all interiors bulbs, license plate and reverse bulbs to Led a few weeks ago. Reading that it could be caused by the diodes in the LED that caused interference to the shark fun antenna that mixes signals with the key fob to the van. So I decided to turn off Tha cargo LED since that was closest to the shark fin antenna. And bam that was the solution, all functions on the both key fobs started working again. I am super happy to know that it's not the siennas fault. It's the LED in the cargo. Do not buy the Lasfit LED brand from Amazon for your cargo light. Instead use a different brand (dynamic diodes). All locations with lasfit worked fine.

Hope this was super helpful for people. Im sure eventually someone with run across this issue (hopefully not) but if you do this is the solution.
I think that RF interference is quite likely an issue in your case, and likely related to the aftermarket LEDs as you deduced.

BUT - please check pages 164-165 of the owner's manual that describes locations of the antennas (there are multiple) for the smart key system none are the shark fin - that is for the infotainment system and it's related sub-systems.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
200 Posts
I have Diode Dynamic LEDs and have experienced intermittent issues with door opening when I’m in the back of the vehicle.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts