Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 LE
129 Posts
The irony is that Chrysler Pacifica is by far the best selling minivan in 2022. Also it happens to be the least controversial minivan appearance-wise, and it gets a high praise for the interior comfort. Also it's the only minivan that its manufacturer bothered to equip with a plug. Yet a Chrysler is a Chrysler

The Sienna is the second, and the Odyssey is a remote third in the 2022 sales.

View attachment 59525
I had Pacifica's cousin the Grand Caravan. It was rolling pile of crap. Why would Pacifica be any different. The only Chrysler that are solid are the Ram HD. Same with Ford and GM. Buy their HDs and ignore the rest.

·
Registered
2021 LE
129 Posts
But isn't Honda Odyssey the sales leader for mini vans?

In the end, a Buick is still a GM. That doesn't make it on my first or second list. I go with Sienna, Odyssey then maybe GM then Kia (but it to ugly for me eyes). Don't even want to talk about Chrysler.
Odyssey was but won't be anymore. They better make a hybrid if they want to stay in the game. Nobody likes that thirsty V6 Odyssey. The world has changed. Gas prices are through the roof.

·
Registered
2021 LE
129 Posts
The numbers from this source look "in range", but they are focusing on Odyssey and Sienna only, and therefore not showing that in 2014 and 2017 the Chrysler/Dodge vans were above both Sienna and Odyssey in the sales rankings. This is at least partially due to the fact that Chryslers and Dodge supplied most work/fleet minivans, probably because of the price advantage.

I also noticed that in wealthier areas the proportion of Siennas and Odysseys tends to be higher.

Honda does not have a hybrid powertrain to fit the North American Odyssey, and I don't think they are working on one. Some people will buy the Odyssey because of the brand loyalty, and because in general it's a great, roomy and comfy minivan overall (if you don't need AWD, good fuel economy, and don't mind the drooping rear's optics).

There is, however, the "international" Odyssey minivan, which is quite a bit smaller than the North American version. I believe this version has a "sport hybrid" powertrain, based on a 2.0L ICE, but I don't know what the specs are, or whether it's really international or it is only made in sold in China. In the US market it could probably be successful, competing against smaller 3-row vehicles like the Out/Highlander or Sorento.
Brand loyalty alone is not going to help Honda. Look at me, I was a Chrysler and Dodge guy. The Sienna simply blew my mind, so I bought it.

·
Registered
2021 LE
129 Posts
I'd argue and bet that the Pacifica is highly used as a rental vehicle and that would account for a huge amount of sales. Everywhere I rented a mini-van it would be a Pacifica.
Pacificas and Grand Caravans have the advantage that Ford Explorers have. It would not be fair to say Ford Explorer sells more than the Highlander. Because the law enforcement drive thousands of Explorers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts