Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

The Shinkansen Build : Inspiration & Progress

158K views 463 replies 61 participants last post by  The Law 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello SiennaChat Folks !!!

My disclosure :

I am a participant in affiliate programs including the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Affiliate programs are designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. All Amazon and affiliated linked items are ones that I truly love, fit my style, and use on my own vehicle. Feel free to learn through my experiences and reviews first hand.

Previously, I built / customized a 2010 Toyota Prius III for both the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) and the CES Show (Consumer Electronics Show) in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Here is a photo of my Prius (in Blizzard Pearl White) from a ToyotaFest photo shoot in 2021 :

I took delivery of the 4th Generation Sienna on 06/17/21 here in Southern California.

Here are photos from Day 1 from Longo Toyota, Toyota dealership in Southern California :

First addition : SEMA brushed aluminum license frame :

The Bullet Train / "Shinkansen" in Japan is an inspiration for my build.

I will be sharing my experiences and modifications here on Sienna Chat as well as on Instagram : @Toyota_Shinkansen.

Feel free to follow my journey !!!

- Rodney

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First Modification : LED License Plate Lighting

Hello Folks !!!

Installed this First Modification on 06/20/21.

Replaced the OEM Single Bulb with a 3W 18-SMD LED Panel complete with Housing.

This set is available here : OEM-Replace 18-SMD 3W LED License Plate Light Assy For Toyota Camry Prius C, etc | eBay

Check your Toyota Owner's Manual for details on how to remove the license plate lens. Because I replaced the whole housing,
I removed the rear panel inside to access and remove the complete housing.

Sorry, I do not provide DIY Instructions / Walkthroughs.

The mini-screw driver was taped to provide extra protection not to mar the finish :

The OEM single bulb (Right) was replaced by an 3W 18-SMD LED Pane (Left) :

Comparison of the OEM (L) vs. the LED (R) when lit.

And ... complete !!!

Overall, I'm very happy with this LED Lighting upgrade.

It provides great safety visibility without blinding rear drivers as the panel is pointed downward. And, when backing up at night, it provides additional bright lighting.

This set is available here : OEM-Replace 18-SMD 3W LED License Plate Light Assy For Toyota Camry Prius C, etc | eBay

Stay tuned for more modifications coming soon !!!

- Rodney

#5 · (Edited)
#13 · (Edited)
Hello Sienna Chat Folks !!!

The latest Modification is the OEM Toyota Mudguards !!!

This set for LE, XLE, LIMITED and, PLATINUM models are available here : 2021 SIENNA LE XLE LIMITED PLATINUM MUD GUARDS SET PK389-08M00-TP GENUINE TOYOTA | eBay

The set for XSE model is available here : 2021 SIENNA XSE MUD GUARDS SET PK389-08M10-TP GENUINE TOYOTA | eBay

To save money on installation costs at the dealership, I do my best to install as much as I can by myself.
And, you can also obtain installation instructions from your local Toyota dealership / Parts Department.

Tools needed : Phillips screwdriver and a 10mm socket / wrench (not pictured).

All 4 Mudguards are labeled and all necessary hardware (screws/brackets) are included in the kit.

There are pre-dimpled areas where the new screws will be installed :

Installation :

And complete !!!

Overall I am pleased with OEM quality finish and fitment. With this being a new vehicle I am rest-assured that they will provide great protection for the fenders' / doors' painted surfaces.

This set for LE, XLE, LIMITED and, PLATINUM models are available here : 2021 SIENNA LE XLE LIMITED PLATINUM MUD GUARDS SET PK389-08M00-TP GENUINE TOYOTA | eBay

The set for XSE model is available here : 2021 SIENNA XSE MUD GUARDS SET PK389-08M10-TP GENUINE TOYOTA | eBay

Happy Modding !!!

- Rodney

Attachments

#18 ·
Happy Saturday Folks !!!

Just completed the installation of the JDM Toyota Premium Horns.

Replaced the OEM Denso Horns which are at 108dB each with the JDM Toyota Premium Horns which are at 300dB and they are each 500Hz/400Hz providing a clean, clear, and more vibrant sound.

Purchased from Roger at www.HybridPit.com.

Below are some photos of this easy installation :

The JDM Toyota Premium Horns :

Instructions :

Tools needed : Socket Wrench / 12mm Socket

Begin by removing the Engine Room Cover via the 7 Plastic Push Pins :

Removal of the OEM Denso Horns :

Comparison of the OEM Denso Horns vs the JDM Toyota Premium Horns :

Thank you Roger from
www.HYBRIDPIT.com here in Southern California for these !!!

Have a great weekend !!!

- Rodney

#436 ·
Happy Saturday Folks !!!

Just completed the installation of the JDM Toyota Premium Horns.

Replaced the OEM Denso Horns which are at 108dB each with the JDM Toyota Premium Horns which are at 300dB and they are each 500Hz/400Hz providing a clean, clear, and more vibrant sound.

Purchased from Roger at www.HybridPit.com.

Below are some photos of this easy installation :

View attachment 50883

The JDM Toyota Premium Horns :

View attachment 50884

Instructions :

View attachment 50885

Tools needed : Socket Wrench / 12mm Socket

View attachment 50886

Begin by removing the Engine Room Cover via the 7 Plastic Push Pins :

View attachment 50887

Removal of the OEM Denso Horns :

View attachment 50888

Comparison of the OEM Denso Horns vs the JDM Toyota Premium Horns :

View attachment 50889

Thank you Roger from
www.HYBRIDPIT.com here in Southern California for these !!!

View attachment 50890

Have a great weekend !!!

- Rodney

#20 ·
It's definitely a beautiful Saturday in Southern California for another Modification !!!

The Luciole Rear Wiper Delete Plug from www.HYBRIDPIT.com is complete !!!

It is available here : Luciole Rear Wiper Delete Kit For Toyota Prius 2016 - 2021
This kit for the Prius is compatible with the Sienna

The Rear Wiper Delete Kit :

Removal of the Rear Wiper Arm assembly. Flip the cover to remove the 10mm bolt.

Access the Wiper Motor Assembly through the Inside Rear Hatch :

Remove the JBL Subwoofer Enclosure :

The Rear Wiper Motor Assembly. Remove the 3 - 10mm bolts and disconnect the electrical connection :

The installation of the Rear Wiper Delete Kit is self explanatory. Here are the finished results !!!

Overall, I am very pleased with this product from www.HYBRIDPIT.com.

The rear wipers tend to collect debris, leave a trail on the window, and really only clean a fraction of the window so ... it was deleted !!!

It is available here : Luciole Rear Wiper Delete Kit For Toyota Prius 2016 - 2021

Happy Modding Folks !!!

- Rodney

#300 ·
It's definitely a beautiful Saturday in Southern California for another Modification !!!

The Luciole Rear Wiper Delete Plug from www.HYBRIDPIT.com is complete !!!

This kit for the Prius is compatible with the Sienna

View attachment 50891

The Rear Wiper Delete Kit :

View attachment 50892

Removal of the Rear Wiper Arm assembly. Flip the cover to remove the 10mm bolt.

View attachment 50893

Access the Wiper Motor Assembly through the Inside Rear Hatch :

View attachment 50894

Remove the JBL Subwoofer Enclosure :

View attachment 50895

The Rear Wiper Motor Assembly. Remove the 3 - 10mm bolts and disconnect the electrical connection :

View attachment 50896

The installation of the Rear Wiper Delete Kit is self explanatory. Here are the finished results !!!

View attachment 50897

View attachment 50898

Overall, I am very pleased with this product from www.HYBRIDPIT.com.

The rear wipers tend to collect debris, leave a trail on the window, and really only clean a fraction of the window so ... it was deleted !!!

Happy Modding Folks !!!

- Rodney
Looks clean. Getting it for my sienna.

#22 ·

Hello @2Kool4aSeeNahhh !!!

Thanks for the kinds words, if I lived up North I would keep the wiper too !!!

In my area here we hardly get rain. I will be using a product from Soft99, a company from Japan to keep the glass clear during rainy weather : Soft99 Glaco Blave Window Care Strong Water Repellent For Glass And Plastic 4975759049531 | eBay

Nowadays, I really hardly look directly outside the back window. With the Platinum trim I have the 2nd rear camera to project the traffic behind me on the digital rear camera.

Hope you're having a great weekend !!!

- Rodney

#25 ·
The First Wash is in the books !!!

After a little over a week and 400 miles since the delivery of my Sienna, today marked Sienna Sunday cleaning !!!

I admit ... the next best thing to taking delivery of a new vehicle is The Official First Wash !!!

Many thanks to Adam's Polishes for their great line of Car Care Products crafted to be safe and to protect your vehicle's finishes.

Adam's is all I use !!!

You don't have to take my word for it, see for yourself here : Adam's Polishes | Premium Car Care & Detailing Products

Here are just some of the photos taken that Sunday early evening ...

Adam's Car Shampoo. Find it on Amazon here : https://amzn.to/2UAIhoK

Love shiny chrome ...

Scrub the All Weather mats too !!!

Once rinsed, remember to clean all door sills, jams, and everywhere in between :

And maintain a clean engine bay to keep it operating cool and to address any issues that you may notice immediately.

Polished and protected ...

Refreshed interior

And we are ready for the week ahead !!!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend !!!

- Rodney

#27 · (Edited)
Those mud guards, do they generate any additional wind noise at high speeds?

OH THAT LOOKS DOPE!!!

I absolutely despise the rear wiper, and this is the perfect solution. Thanks!!
But why? It has a purpose! I remember having a VERY cheap hatchback w/o the wiper, and I certainly wuld have loved to have it.

#29 ·
I'm confused, the interior is the same 2 tone softek as my XSE, yet the front looks like the Limited trim. Did you replace the front grill or something?

Also, mine only has 800 miles on it(trip to yosemite park) but it has innumerable yellow-brown specks on the paint that I cant get off. I ordered a bottle of rust removal spray hoping that they are rust spots. Have you noticed anything like that on your paint?

#32 ·

This is what I bought after seeing someone on YouTube use it. Any of you guys planning on doing ppf? I wish I got it straight out of the dealer but was too eager to use the car. Now I got all these paint issues to deal with first 😒

Sorry for the side- track. Looking forward to OP's next mod!

#33 ·

This is what I bought after seeing someone on YouTube use it. Any of you guys planning on doing ppf? I wish I got it straight out of the dealer but was too eager to use the car. Now I got all these paint issues to deal with first 😒

Sorry for the side- track. Looking forward to OP's next mod!
OH yeah ironx is good stuff. Just make sure you don't let it dry on the paint and rinse it thoroughly, and use gloves! Also it smells really bad lol

#43 ·
Hey Sienna Chat Folks !!!

Cheers to Safe Travels ahead.

Added my "Lucky Charm" to the Sienna today.

Arrived is the Japanese wooden lacquered Kokeshi Daruma from Hokkaido, Japan :

Artisan's stamp :

All safe in it's new home :

Hope you all have a wonderful and safe July 4th weekend !!!

- Rodney

#44 ·
Happy 4th of July Weekend Folks !!!

It was a beautiful day in Murrieta, Southern California !!!

Many thanks to SEMA 2021 Sponsor : Lance / Clear Pro for the XPEL Ultimate Plus - Clear Protection Film for the Project Sienna Shinkansen !!!

4 Hours logged in for the Full Hood, Front Bumper, Headlamps, Front Shield, and Dual Side Mirrors !!!

As a repeat customer since 2004, this being my 3rd vehicle I always look to www.Clear-Pro.com for paint / finish protection immediately after delivery !!!

The Road to SEMA 2021 will have 0 rock chips and scratches 🙂

Contact Lance directly for more details on all the great protection products they carry !!!

Big Congratulations on their New Location and Open House coming Soon !!!

This Model Y was completely protected ...

We're up next !!!

We love XPEL Ultimate Plus !!!

The film is now cut and ready for installation !!!

The Master at work ...

Meticulous Care ...

And Voila !!!

Overall, I am very satisfied ... again !!! Looking forward to Clear Pro's Open House coming soon !!!

- Rodney

#51 · (Edited)
Hey there Sienna Chat Folks !!!

4th of July Tech Day Sunday : Sequential Dynamic LED Side Mirrors Turn Signal Lamps … Installation Complete !!!

Compared to the OEM Lamps, these are a Brighter, Safer, and Stylish Sequential LED Upgrade for the 2021+ Sienna (Mirror signals are standard on the Limited and Platinum Trims so these are a direct replacement) !!!

These are compatible with the 2021+ Toyota Tacoma and Highlander vehicles as well !!!

Get yours at : Amazon.com: HIGH FLYING Car Accessories Led Side Mirrors Sequential Dynamic Turn Signal Lights Indicator Strip 2pcs/Pair for Toyota Tacoma 2016-2021, RAV4 XA50 2019-2021, Highlander XU70 2020-2021 (Smoked Black): Automotive 3 Models to select : Blackout / Smoke / White

Christmas arrived early !!!

The kit : Both Driver / Passenger Lights and included tools ...

The All New LED Signal Mirrors (Top) compared to the OEM Signal Mirrors (Bottom) ...

Begin by carefully prying open the housing in this area.
I found this to be the easiest area to start.
Work your way slowly around the housing and provide a blanket underneath should the housing fall ... to prevent damage to it.

Remove the original signal light by lifting it simply upward.

Connect the new connection. Brown / Yellow wire connects with the existing Red wire.

Even from the side profile, the all new LED lights are super bright !!!

See the finished results and videos here :

Facebook : Toyota Sienna 2021+ (4th Gen)

Again, these are compatible with the 2021+ Toyota Tacoma and Highlander vehicles as well !!!

Get yours at : Amazon.com: HIGH FLYING Car Accessories Led Side Mirrors Sequential Dynamic Turn Signal Lights Indicator Strip 2pcs/Pair for Toyota Tacoma 2016-2021, RAV4 XA50 2019-2021, Highlander XU70 2020-2021 (Smoked Black): Automotive 3 Models to select : Blackout / Smoke / White

Happy Modding Folks !!!

- Rodney

#83 ·
Hey there Sienna Chat Folks !!!

4th of July Tech Day Sunday : Sequential Dynamic LED Side Mirrors Turn Signal Lamps … Installation Complete !!!

Compared to the OEM Lamps, these are a Brighter, Safer, and Stylish Sequential LED Upgrade for the 2021+ Sienna (Mirror signals are standard on the Limited and Platinum Trims so these are a direct replacement) !!!

These are compatible with the 2021+ Toyota Tacoma and Highlander vehicles as well !!!

Christmas arrived early !!!

The kit : Both Driver / Passenger Lights and included tools ...

View attachment 51025

The All New LED Signal Mirrors (Top) compared to the OEM Signal Mirrors (Bottom) ...

View attachment 51026

Begin by carefully prying open the housing in this area.
I found this to be the easiest area to start.
Work your way slowly around the housing and provide a blanket underneath should the housing fall ... to prevent damage to it.

View attachment 51028

Remove the original signal light by lifting it simply upward.

View attachment 51030

Connect the new connection. Brown / Yellow wire connects with the existing Red wire.

View attachment 51031

Even from the side profile, the all new LED lights are super bright !!!

View attachment 51032

See the finished results and videos here :

Facebook : Toyota Sienna 2021+ (4th Gen)

Again, these are compatible with the 2021+ Toyota Tacoma and Highlander vehicles as well !!!

Happy Modding Folks !!!

- Rodney
That looks great!
Just want to check if the BSM still works after the installation? Some of the feedback on Amazon claim they lost BSM after replacing with this..?

thanks!

#55 ·
Any van that has existing light up turn signal bulbs in the side mirror can receive this. I believe that May only be Limited and Platinum, though.

I love how it looks and I’ve now seen three other people install them across the various Sienna groups. Each say it was like a 5 minute job, but the comments about quality in the neg reviews at Amazon make me reluctant to pull the trigger. Some folks were also worried about them messing with the blind spot warning, but I doubt that’s a problem.

#61 ·
Hello @123noob !!!

Agreed, the OEM lamps are very dim during the day.

It's great there's an aftermarket product to help with brightness !!!

Here's the link again where I purchased mine (you can select from 3 choices) :

Amazon.com: HIGH FLYING Car Accessories Led Side Mirrors Sequential Dynamic Turn Signal Lights Indicator Strip 2pcs/Pair for Toyota Tacoma 2016-2021, RAV4 XA50 2019-2021, Highlander XU70 2020-2021 (Smoked Black): Automotive

Once you get yours and installed, please share photos !!!

- Rodney

#62 ·
Happy Friday Sienna Chat Folks !!!

The Shinkansen California Agricultural Plates arrived !!! The All New 4th Generation Toyota Sienna was designed and inspired by Japan’s Bullet Train aka Shinkansen. There are dozens of different Shinkansen trains throughout Japan however, the Train inspiring my build is The Tsubame which is a train service operated by Kyushu Railway Company on the Kyushu Shinkansen in Japan since 2004. It’s route includes Kumamoto Prefecture which is the home of my favorite citrus, the Dekopon. Therefore the Agricultural Plates were the obvious choice !!! 新幹線 🙂

Arrived at the DMV !!!

It felt like getting my driver's license for the first time all over again !!!

Surprising empty on a Friday after work ??!!

They're here !!!

All aboard that Shinkansen - Tsubame Line !!!

Supporting California's Agricultural Industry and our Farmers.

Have a great weekend !!!

- Rodney

#63 ·
Tech Day Saturday Morning !!!

Newly installed is the Chrome Trim to the side door panels which add a nice subtle touch to the existing chrome door handles.

I’ve always been a fan of minimal chrome accents on a white vehicle as they highlight the existing character lines. Overall, I’m very satisfied with this latest addition !!!

Get yours from : Chrome ABS Car Door Guard Molding Strip Trim 4pcs For Toyota Sienna 2021-2022 | eBay

Follow my Road to SEMA 2021 build here AND
on IG : @Toyota_Shinkansen

Arrived safely !!!

Nice Cold Shiny Chrome ...

Some of the items used for installation ...

Organize each part specific to location ...

Begin on a clean surface and test fit prior to installation ...

Affix only the ends of the trim then slowly remove the backing and work your way towards the center ...

Take your time to get everything perfect ...

And VOILA !!!

Again, Get yours from : Chrome ABS Car Door Guard Molding Strip Trim 4pcs For Toyota Sienna 2021-2022 | eBay

Have a great weekend folks !!!

- Rodney

Attachments