Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
You know it's crazy. Back in October 2021 a 2022 Sienna XLE FWD 8 passenger fell into my lap and I didn't even really want it. I'm an Uber driver and was aware of the new hybrid Sienna and it's wonderous MPG. I'd even test driven a 2021 XLE FWD 7 seater with a spare tire (Should've bought it then and there), but I had driven 2 Volvo XC90s at different local dealers and had such horrible sales experiences that I didn't buy either out of sheer spite, though I genuinely loved the vehicle. I was at this particular dealership to test drive a 2019 Subaru Ascent Limited with 40k miles. It didn't start. While the salesman rushed to grab a jump box, the friend I'd brought along told me the whole front clip had been painted. He's a painter at a semi truck dealership's body shop, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. They wanted $39k for the Ascent, which wasn't that bad I guess, but I decided to peruse the used lot on the Toyota side of the same massive dealership that sells 9 brands. For only 3 grand more, they had a gray LE FWD on the lot. Poverty spec. Didn't even have lumbar support. I'm sorry but this Uber driver NEEDS back support on 10+ hour stints at the wheel. The cloth seats were a problem too. If you've ever ridden in an Uber with cloth seats, I bet you wish you could forget that smell. If you can think of it, it gets spilled in an Uber. Food, water, soft drinks, alcohol, bodily fluids, and anything else you'd rather not think about having sat in. Some form of impervious seating materiel is an absolute must. A sunroof would be nice too. My salesman went inside to talk to the sales manager while I perused the used car lot. After about 5 minutes, he returned with a piece of paper in his hand and a spiel: "So new Siennas are in high demand and we would have to order you one to get you exactly what you want. Lead time is 6 to 8 months. BUT this will be here in 4 days and it's not spoken for" and handed me a build sheet. 2022 Sienna. XLE. Windchill pearl. Tri fold cargo liner. All weather mats. Front wheel drive. 8 passenger. No spare tire. Body side moldings and roof rack cross bars. MSRP $42k and some change. "Market adjusted price" $45,234. I talked them down skillfully but carefully to $44,000 even, and at the time I thought I was really getting taken. I put $5,000 down on a vehicle I hadn't even seen and got financing approved. It arrived one day late and the following Saturday I went out to claim my prize. I really wanted blue or green, but damn that white is gorgeous. I did really want a 7 seater and a spare tire though. Uber doesn't give you one cent more for having 8 seats vs 7, and the center pedestal left after removing the seat frustrates ingress and egress to the 3rd row, not to mention the infernal seat belt alarms when someone in the right center tries to buckle into the 8th seat's belt.

Tomorrow I go in for the 30k mile service. I'll pay for the oil change and tire rotation but I'm not giving them $150 extra for two filters that don't even require tools to replace yourself.

My ownership experience for those of you not-so-patiently waiting: Fuel economy is better than advertised. I tend to beat the EPA in every vehicle I drive, and this is no exception. Using special techniques, I almost always squeeze 700+ miles out of a tank @ 40+ MPG. The turn circle is unrivaled. The AC will freeze you out, but unfortunately so will the heat. Seriously the heat sucks in this car. Driving on the highway when the engine is almost always on? Not a problem at all; but in town when the engine is off at lights, the coolant temp bleeds off within one light cycle and leaves you chilly. You turn up the temperature but the car has to run it's engine more to keep the coolant temp up and that kills your MPG. I'm glad I live in the southeast. I would NOT want to drive this car in Milwaukee. Another true disappointment is the build quality. Everything is presented so nicely but everything you touch and everywhere you touch it this car feels cheap. From the huge panel gaps on top of the dash to the way-to-easy-to-flex center console. Gearshift is hilariously wobbly in park. The car has also suffered for several deep scratches in the interior plastic just from normal use. Not to mention the rubber inserts in the seat tracks are already tearing on both sides. This is what I expect from Nissan, Chevy, or Dodge; not Toyota. The engine is LOUD under load. Once you're up to speed and on cruise control it's not that bad but getting there is as loud as a 90s Honda with no muffler. I do love that all four windows are auto down AND up, and that I can still control them with the lockout switch on. The car is slow, but it isn't THAT slow. You do have to plan ahead for short on ramps but it's otherwise fine.

Would I buy another one? Absolutely. Show me another car that hauls 7 people and their bags to the airport in comfort and gets 40+ MPG while doing it. I'll wait. I can live with this car's obvious flaws and shortcomings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
$44k ! Does that include sales tax ? Mine was $44,500 with sales tax back in nov 2021. Same spec As yours. 40mpg is easily reached as long as you do not make long trips across state lines. Freeway speeds > 70mph will drastically reduce mpg to 33ish.
44k was the vehicle's price. If I follow the payment schedule (I'm not. I'll be paying it off in 3 years or less) the total price I'll pay for interest, additional warranty, tax, and including down payment is above $50,000. I paid $2100 or so to have the bumper to bumper warranty extended to 5 years/150k miles. My last Sienna ate $8700 worth of repairs in a year and a half so I'm NOT going to risk it. At 150,001 miles, it'll be traded off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts