Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I replaced the windshield wipers, all 4 brake pads and air cabin filter, that's it. Other than that, oil changes. It's close to 5 years ownership. Absolutely drives like new. I like it so much I am planning to replace it next year with the 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe.
Did you get a recall notice from Hyundai for your Santa Fe? Also the same Consumer Report also put this article about Kia recalling theirs cars and advise user to park it outside because of fire risk.
Which car manufacturer has its relatively new model spontaneity on fire when parking. Even with so much improvement over the years, there's not many chances to make an impression.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The easiest way to compare KIA and Toyota:
  • Kia door closing sound at 6:38
  • Toyota door closing sound at 8:16
LOL, I replayed it.. its bias of the tester/splitting hairs.. they both sound very similar, when shut/closed. The reviewer admits that interior quality of both vehicles is very similar. Funny part is where the reviewer, at 12:02, 3rd row, who admits he is only 5'7 height, says he fits fine in the Kia, but says Highlander 3rd row is pathetic and useless. Both 3rd rows, I tested myself, are terrible and semi useless compared to the Sienna. Gas mileage, Toyota offers hybrid, far better mileage, Kia doesn't. Supposed lack of power 0-60mph in the hybrid.. it's only .5 seconds slower, hybrid 7.7 seconds, V6 Kia is 7.2 seconds.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the AWD! though ours didn't come with one and here in Virginia with lame snowy winters plus we telework mostly now, we ended up not needing one but having that option is a huge bonus over the Kia. Sure we can then compare Sienna to Pacifica, but I would not dare go anywhere near the latter... no matter how nice the options are in that car.
Sienna is the only hybrid All wheel drive minivan, Pacifica doesn't offer AWD on hybrid. Agreed on Pacifica.. we have a few friends, family, neighbors that have had nothing but big reliability issues with late model Chrysler/Jeep products. Not drivable, 4 wheel drive transfer case failings, transmission issues, tons of electrical issues, on vehicles only 1 to 3 years old. Issues I've never had a problem with on our Toyotas.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would have considered the Kia Carnival. It looks like a great minivan. For my needs, it may actually be better than the 2021 Sienna. My wife loves Toyota though so we pulled the trigger. Now the Pacifica on the other hand was never on my short list.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The video point out that there are recall that owner are not aware of and these kind of incidents or how the company handle it does not help the brand image. There are choices out there and people are free the buy what they like. I waited to see what the new carnival has to offer in Canada and it's a nice van with nice tech, removable 2nd row and with the 3rd row down offer a nice flat floor but then I saw these kind of issues even though not related to the new van still make me stay away and play it safe so we bought the Sienna.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Technology Pkg
100 Posts
I replaced the windshield wipers, all 4 brake pads and air cabin filter, that's it. Other than that, oil changes. It's close to 5 years ownership. Absolutely drives like new. I like it so much I am planning to replace it next year with the 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe.
I have the 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T AWD and my wife and I liked it so far. Only problem is the fuel economy is terrible. 15-16 L/100km and it is fairly sluggish at low speeds. I'm dying to get the new Sienna so that I don't have to fuel up every week or two. Sucks that there is absolutely no stock in my area for the XSE AWD with tech package . The dealership said they only received a single XSE with tech in the past 4 months. There hasn't been a single AWD.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Reactions: Sam K

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE Awd Tech Package
97 Posts
How are they able to give the Palisade and the Telluride a high reliability rating? Aren't they relatively new models?
It's all predictive reliability based on parts and their build process. There's videos out there explaining how they do it but it's really just a best guess. In all honesty I'm surprised how well my brothers KIA has held up after 10 years but my neighbour has two new Hyundai's both with 2.0 turbos that can't even idle without overheating. When I was considering an SUV I test drove the palisade and telluride and compared them to all the other top SUVs. I went in with high hopes because of all the positive reviews but after the wife and I test drove them we felt they drove worse than other brands and they only made sense to us if they were say $10k cheaper. Not sure why but to us they felt cheap which is the complete opposite to all the reviews. In the end a minivan made more sense to us providing it had AWD which made the Sienna a no brainer. The Toyota seems like the much more solid car for us even with the thin material they used in the back access areas. If you don't need AWD I don't see any issues with the Carnival since it's got their v6 vs their troubled turbo 2.0.

·
Registered
2004 LE-8
108 Posts
How are they able to give the Palisade and the Telluride a high reliability rating? Aren't they relatively new models?

Here's the CR.org article explaining their process. The table above gives you an idea what the frequency of problems reported. Fine print, CR says their prediction is for 3 years, which isn't exactly a long time.

But how is the Telluride going to hold up in a decade? Yeah, good question. Here's H/K10 year data from last month's issue:

Manufacturer reputation: CR rates Hyundai & Kia's overall reliability as average overall, compared with Toyota being rated above average.

Toyota's got a greener history, but they still have some sore spots. See the no-so-pretty Sienna 3.5L w/DI and the 8-speed record, a notch below the related Highlander.

2021 Sienna gets an average predicted reliability rating likely due to that history, although it's really most closely related to the 2020 Highlander.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Good insights into the reliability record for the Sienna. Historically, after each redesign, CR has downgraded the overall ratings of the Sienna (same story with Honda Odyssey). Simple reason, each re-design comes with more complex electronics and gizmos, which tend to cause annoyances in the first model year and breaks down due to poor quality control issues. So, I expect, on balance, the predicted reliability for Sienna and Carnival to be on par for the first 1-3 years, should gradually improve as manufacturers iron out the issues in subsequent model years. As a personal anecdote, my 2004 Sienna has been relatively problem-free. My friend who had a 2008 Sienna swore never to buy another Sienna due to constant break downs and expensive repairs. He ended up buying a 2020 Acura MDX, not even another Toyota. Which leads me to another element that buyers should consider, which is sheer luck; it's akin to "panel lottery" when purchasing large screen LCD TVs. One perosn could purchase a car with very high CR reliability ratings and have a ton of issues, another buyer may experience excellent reliability on a lower CR reliability rated car of the same class. So, one should not dismiss the 2022 Kia Carnival as junk. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Technology Pkg
100 Posts
I follow an account on Instagram called The Car Mom (her family owns dealerships and she does car tours with a mom bias in mind)... she recently did this tour of the Carnival and it just further confirmed that I made the best decision buying my Sienna

The Car Mom - 2022 Kia Carnival Tour
What in that video (i watched it) convinced you that buying a Sienna was better than the Carnival?

·
Registered
19 Posts
First of all I don't like how it looks. It has all the same safety features that we have on the Sienna. I like the "bridge" we have in the Sienna - I don't like the way the infotainment system looks in the Carnival. I know this is old school but I don't like the shifter - I prefer a normal stick shifter like the Sienna has. Also, the gas mileage alone is enough to make me shudder - 19 mpg in the city? No thanks. I'll stick to the 38 mpg I'm getting in the Sienna.

·
Registered
154 Posts
First of all I don't like how it looks. It has all the same safety features that we have on the Sienna. I like the "bridge" we have in the Sienna - I don't like the way the infotainment system looks in the Carnival. I know this is old school but I don't like the shifter - I prefer a normal stick shifter like the Sienna has. Also, the gas mileage alone is enough to make me shudder - 19 mpg in the city? No thanks. I'll stick to the 38 mpg I'm getting in the Sienna.
The stellar mileage of the Sienna, I agree, is hard to ignore. But the other differences make the Sienna better, come on? Sounds kinda subjective to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I test drove one and about the only thing I didn't like about the Carnival was the MPGs and not knowing what the reliability would be for KIA... everything in there looked very nicely laid out and functional... A lot more cargo room behind the third row, even more than the previous gen sienna.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts