Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Canadian Sienna's forum, in Electronic brochures for Canadian Siennas, a subject which I don't think is unique to Canada:

tcp said:
In the brochure it looks like the factory hitch has a cutout in the rear bumper cover making it higher than the 2004-2010 units. Anyone seen this in real life?
I have not seen the 2011 in real life - with our without a hitch - but I don't see the bumper cutout in the brochure, and the detail photo of a hitch in the Accessory section on page 11 shows an installation like the second-generation version (no bumper cover cutout, hitch receiver frame exposed under bumper). Perhaps I'm missing something... which photo shows the cutout?

I notice that the hitch in the photo is not a DPS design (all Toyota OEM hitches for 2004-2010 were DPS). I also note that the ball mount chosen for the photo looks like a black Anderson Ultra-Hitch Alumistinger, but that brand/model of ball mount (or any aluminum ball mount to my knowledge) is not available in black. Also, I have not found an aluminum ball mount for a 1.25" receiver, and Toyota OEM receivers for second-generation Siennas were 2" 1.25" units.

Also, that accessory section shows that hitch photo and includes "Towing Accessories" (Canada) or "towing hitch" and "towing ball" (USA), but the online accessory lists (both Canada and USA) do not include any towing equipment at all. Someone has messed up!

The Toyota USA brochure is different (and much longer). There is a black section along the lower edge of the rear bumper cover which looks like it might be a long thin cutout, especially in the Sport version, but I think it's just a black section of plastic.

tcp said:
WDH capable?
I assume that any 2" receiver hitch would be WD-compatible, as with the second generation. The floor structure is reportedly unchanged from that previous generation, so nearly the same hitches should work and they should have the same ratings and capabilities.

EDIT: corrected typo per Reply #2 below
BY: topspy/Mod-Squad

·
Registered
617 Posts
The top right hand picture on page 6 looked like they had cut something out of the cover. After looking closer, its just the riser from the hitch. Looks like a square tube hitch though.

brian_bp said:
From the Canadian Sienna's forum, in Electronic brochures for Canadian Siennas, a subject which I don't think is unique to Canada:

tcp said:
In the brochure it looks like the factory hitch has a cutout in the rear bumper cover making it higher than the 2004-2010 units. Anyone seen this in real life?
I have not seen the 2011 in real life - with our without a hitch - but I don't see the bumper cutout in the brochure, and the detail photo of a hitch in the Accessory section on page 11 shows an installation like the second-generation version (no bumper cover cutout, hitch receiver frame exposed under bumper). Perhaps I'm missing something... which photo shows the cutout?

I notice that the hitch in the photo is not a DPS design (all Toyota OEM hitches for 2004-2010 were DPS). I also note that the ball mount chosen for the photo looks like a black Anderson Ultra-Hitch Alumistinger, but that brand/model of ball mount (or any aluminum ball mount to my knowledge) is not available in black. Also, I have not found an aluminum ball mount for a 1.25" receiver, and Toyota OEM receivers for second-generation Siennas were 2" units.

Also, that accessory section shows that hitch photo and includes "Towing Accessories" (Canada) or "towing hitch" and "towing ball" (USA), but the online accessory lists (both Canada and USA) do not include any towing equipment at all. Someone has messed up!

The Toyota USA brochure is different (and much longer). There is a black section along the lower edge of the rear bumper cover which looks like it might be a long thin cutout, especially in the Sport version, but I think it's just a black section of plastic.

tcp said:
WDH capable?
I assume that any 2" receiver hitch would be WD-compatible, as with the second generation. The floor structure is reportedly unchanged from that previous generation, so nearly the same hitches should work and they should have the same ratings and capabilities.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typo: I meant to say that the second-generation OEM hitches were 1.25", not 2"

(No post editing from a BlackBerry).

The OEM DPS hitch looks like a small square tube, but is actually a broad rectangular tube. It will be interesting to see what Toyota is really selling for the 2011 Sienna.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Curt 13256 on the 2011, toober reports that Curt now has a 2" receiver for the 2011 Sienna.

eTrailer does not list this Curt, but does list Hidden Hitch 87415 and Draw-Tite 75149... which are the same as each other, and the same model (from Cequent) used on the second-generation Sienna. eTrailer even illustrates the installation with a 2005 Sienna.

As I said in that topic:
The 13256 model is the same model of hitch receiver as Curt supplied for the second generation; it sounds like Curt confirmed that it still fits the new model, rather than starting to produce anything new. See Curt 13256 Hitch for previous discussion of this particular hitch.

I see this as good news in a way, as it means a few models of hitch receiver are immediately available

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As of today, while both Toyota Canada and Toyota USA brochures say that towing equipment is available as genuine Toyota accessories, an online build-and-price does not offer any towing equipment at the accessory stage... at least for the Sienna variants that I have tried.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good find, kw1720. :)

I had not searched the manufacturer sites directly, only noted the lack of a wiring harness in eTrailer.

Since T-One and Draw-Tite are Cequent brands, this part should be available under the Reese and Hidden Hitch names as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2011 with a tow package which is standard equipment on the EXL model and shown as an option on lower level moels. The Hidden Hitch unit from my '08 model was mounted on the new unit as part of the trade deal. It fits perfectly but does require cutting a slit in the plastic cover to accomodate the left side mount. The plastic cover under the rear cargo/seat storage area is new this year.
Be carefull when selecting a wiring harness as the 2011 model has LED talilights and needs a power source other than the tail light source. E-Trailer listed an incorrect harness for the new model but said they would remove it from their web-site following out phone call. There is a harness available but it will require hard wiring into the tail light circuit.
Terry

·
Registered
1 Posts
What does the towing prep option include in the 2011 XLE V6?

My family is going to be purchasing a new 2011 XLE V6 and we understand that the towing prep option is included in both the XLE and the LTD. Does anyone know what it includes? The dealers seem to be dumbfounded when we ask this question and I cannot seem to get an answer. The best I could find on another website when researching was 3,500 lb towing capacity, towing wire harness, HD radiator & fan, 150-amp alternator, and pwr-steering oil cooler although I'm not sure if this was for a different model or not.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Re: What does the towing prep option include in the 2011 XLE V6?

That was the "Towing Prep" for the 2004-2006 Sienna(minus the towing wire harness). The 2007 to 2010 Sienna's "Towing Prep" was an engine oil cooler. If I had to guess, it would simply be the engine oil cooler for the 2011, since the engine has remained the same for 2011. I would look for a transmission oil cooler as well, since we know little about the new 6 speed auto.

SiennaJohns said:
My family is going to be purchasing a new 2011 XLE V6 and we understand that the towing prep option is included in both the XLE and the LTD. Does anyone know what it includes? The dealers seem to be dumbfounded when we ask this question and I cannot seem to get an answer. The best I could find on another website when researching was 3,500 lb towing capacity, towing wire harness, HD radiator & fan, 150-amp alternator, and pwr-steering oil cooler although I'm not sure if this was for a different model or not.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i want to add a hitch receiver to a 2011 (limited). there's a slim chance i'll ever tow, but i would like to get a hitch-mount bike rack.

i'm having trouble figuring out what (if anything) toyota-usa offers. there are no tow-related accessories listed on the toyota main website, for example.

on the other sites that sell hitches, i see 3rd party hitch receivers such as the Curt model.

i would like to know if people have recommendations regarding cost/quality of Curt vs. Toyota (if available) vs. others.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At least two of us have noticed that the hitch shown by Toyota Canada as an accessory for the Sienna is not a Dual-Port System design, as it was for the second generation. (See Dual Port System (DPS) - the OEM hitch and carrier system for more details if interested.) Since DPS is essentially a dead product, this doesn't surprise me; however, website photos - particularly for accessories - have been known to not accurately represent actual products, so this should be confirmed.

Toyota USA's web site still does not show a hitch for the 2011 Sienna.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Third-Generation (2011) Towing Equipment - trailer wiring

More trailer wiring harness info: Curt's 56106 T-Connector fits the 2011 Sienna ;D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put the curt square tube receiver on my 2011 sienna and it was a great easy installation. Now I am up against the wall trying to get my wiring done. The dealer says I have to purchase the entire wire harness even though I have the factory tow option installed. All I want is the short lead that goes from the factory harness on out to the trailer plug. The parts gorilla says I have to get the whole harness and just use the part I need. Why would I re-purchase a harness that I already bought. I contacted toyota.com and they said they were sorry but that is the way it is. Leaves a bad taste.
I'm waiting for a e mail reply from the hitch store where I bought my hitch from.
upshift

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unless I have missed something, there is no "factory" tow wiring. There is a dealer-installed accessory tow wiring harness, but it is complete to a 4-pin socket at the hitch. I don't know what Toyota option or part would provide a harness requiring the addition of only a short section for the Sienna, although Toyota may do that for trucks or truck-based SUVs, and some other manufacturers definitely use this arrangement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed the Curt Class II (1 1/4") tube hitch on my XLE as well. I purchased it from AutoAnything and it included a standard ball mount. It all came in less than a week. I didn't remove the plastic dam/skirt as others - I just cut a rectangular hole to get the hitch onto the frame. The instructions mention cutting a hole with dimensions.

I also purchased the Curt electrical kit (56106) Keep posting those tips on the harness & wiring - I'm not sure if the kit I have will work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: Third-Generation (2011) Towing Equipment -- AWD

Pulled the 2" Curt off my FWD LE and swapped on my new AWD XLE tonight.

There is a difference in the plastic undertray between the two vans (both are 2011, found I should have sprung for the AWD in the first place once the snow hit). In addition to the 2.75" x 12.5" driver's side notch, you will have to make three more "adjustments" to the plastic on an AWD van.

The AWD tray has a big lip right about where the hitch crossbar sits. I had to trim both edges of this lip (driver's and passenger's side), and cut a notch out of the middle where the receiver portion sits.

Not a big deal, but enough for me to have a five minute "What the hey?" moment trying to get the hitch up into position.

If I had my act together, I'd have pictures. Maybe tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts