Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Sienna Limited.
I have posted on here before about the electric third row seats getting stuck. I have gone back and forth with multiple dealerships, with them all saying that the third row seats work normally. This is despite the fact that four times now I have turned the Sienna in with one of the seats stuck in the extended position, with seat back down and both warning lights illuminated. I took it back an additional time after it "fixed" itself.
Currently, both rear seats are stuck in the extended position, with seat backs down and a warning light. So I have a four seat minivan...

Has anyone else had issues with the electric third row seats? I haven't really found much searching the forums.

The vehicle is under 24k miles, and under warranty, but Toyota has yet to do anything in five service visits. Two different dealerships. The last dealership initiated two trouble tickets to Toyota engineering, but that was August and September. I have still not been contacted and Toyota Care is worthless.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Has anyone else had issues with the electric third row seats? I haven't really found much searching the forums.
You again?

Other than Siennas with the power 3rd row seats being fairly rare, the reason you aren't finding other complaints about them is probably because they are usually reliable. I don't stow the 3rd row seats on my 2014 Limited FWD a lot but the power function has not failed a single time in the nearly 6 years since I bought the vehicle new.

I don't know what you can do except keep hammering at the Toyota dealership. If you are taking your Sienna in with the problem over and over I would think that they would have replaced parts by now. If they haven't, ask why not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You again?

Other than Siennas with the power 3rd row seats being fairly rare, the reason you aren't finding other complaints about them is probably because they are usually reliable. I don't stow the 3rd row seats on my 2014 Limited FWD a lot but the power function has not failed a single time in the nearly 6 years since I bought the vehicle new.

I don't know what you can do except keep hammering at the Toyota dealership. If you are taking your Sienna in with the problem over and over I would think that they would have replaced parts by now. If they haven't, ask why not.
Yes, me again...
I have asked, and the dealerships responses have been that they cannot duplicate the problem (after un-sticking the seat of course).
It does it at random and the dealership has not been able to induce a failure. I have four kids in the house and a busy life, so the seats need to be able to be put up and down fairly often. I have run the seats 20 times in a row, with no failures, then it happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I have asked, and the dealerships responses have been that they cannot duplicate the problem (after un-sticking the seat of course).
Why on earth do they need to duplicate the problem if they are having to "un-stick" it repeatably when you take it in? Can't they see what is wrong when they "un-stick" it and then fix the problem that caused it to get stuck?

There seems to be a lack of motivation or competence at the dealerships you are taking it to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think either dealership is interested in helping. They didn't even document that the seats were stuck when brought in for service, even after talking to the service manager.
I get the run around from the Service advisor, saying that's what the technician wrote. But the manager would not have them edit the RO. Calling Toyota Care resulted in absolutely nothing.
Unfortunately, the next closest dealership is in Pensacola, over an hour away. I already have to take time off of work to drop it off locally.
And Florida, both sides are currently stuck. I have a four seat minivan right now.

I tried to have it fixed yesterday, but because I mentioned the words "Lemon Law", the advisor and service manager denied me and told me to contact Toyota Care.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Well at least take it to some Toyota dealership and get the problem documented on a repair order so you will have evidence if it doesn't get fixed while under warranty.

LOL, did your lemon law discussion get somewhat heated? There was no reason for the dealership to deny service and particularly a warranty repair.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think it was heated. Frustrated maybe, but not heated.
It is a violation of the Magnuson act to not repair under warranty. I actually called a lawyer to discuss the situation. Toyota Care is worthless. They said to take it to a different dealership.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You have to get it documented in writing at a dealership. Keep going up the chain while you are there until they note it in the system. Every time. And keep your copy of the RO documenting the problem.

I am not an attorney, and I would defer to an attorney in your state that deals with these sorts of cases, but without documentation that it was brought in x number of times for the same problem, I don't think you have a lemon law case, or at least not a strong one.

It sounds like they are actively trying to avoid that for some reason. Not sure exactly why because (I believe) lemon law claim goes against the manufacturer not the dealer. Furthermore, warranty claims are reimbursed by manufacturer (albeit at a reduced rate than what they charge customers).

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maybe take a video with the seats struck and post it to YouTube. You can then demonstrate what exactly is happening to both dealers and Toyota.

·
Registered
836 Posts
2018 Sienna Limited.
I have posted on here before about the electric third row seats getting stuck. I have gone back and forth with multiple dealerships, with them all saying that the third row seats work normally. This is despite the fact that four times now I have turned the Sienna in with one of the seats stuck in the extended position, with seat back down and both warning lights illuminated. I took it back an additional time after it "fixed" itself.
Currently, both rear seats are stuck in the extended position, with seat backs down and a warning light. So I have a four seat minivan...

The vehicle is under 24k miles, and under warranty, but Toyota has yet to do anything in five service visits. Two different dealerships. The last dealership initiated two trouble tickets to Toyota engineering, but that was August and September. I have still not been contacted and Toyota Care is worthless.
Do you have any video that shows it gets stuck in the process of doing something? Did you show the process of the 3rd row seat getting stuck in front of the service rep at the dealership? At least something to go by with other than a picture and verbal complaints.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, the problem is that it sticks at random. I have tried on multiple occasions to catch it sticking, but have been unsuccessful.
Four times I brought it to the dealership, it was stuck and would not unlock. Once the dealership unlocked it in the shop, they ran the seats "multiple" times, but could not duplicate. Then the SA would hand me a slip that says "operating as designed at this time". Even talking to the manager would not change the RO.
According to the lemon law attorney, this is a standard industry practice to circumvent the consumer protection acts, basically by denying that it was a repair attempt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would still recommend taking a video with your phone the next time(s) it occurs. Show that the seats are not responding when you press the button and which warning light is on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
One other thought. Read through the manual to see if any of the conditions they note may apply to your situation. It sounds like once one of the below conditions occur, you need to start the process over again.

“If any of the following conditions occur while the seat is operating, the seat operation will stop. The indicator light above the switches will flash three times and a beep will sound for about 10 seconds:
• An object is caught between the seatback and seat cushion.
• The stowing switch is released.
• Other power third seat switch is pushed while operating the stowing
switch.
• The shift lever is moved from P when the engine switch is turned to the
“ON” position (vehicles without a smart key system) or IGNITION ON
mode (vehicles with a smart key system).
If the engine is started during operating, the seat operation may also be stopped.
To continue the folding operation, the seatback must be returned to its orig- inal position first.”

·
Super Moderator
4,511 Posts
When you call Toyota Care you must state that you want to open a case. And get the case number from the rep. Otherwise, you just had a casual conversation. Call now while the seats are stuck, and before you go to the dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As soon as I started filming, the driver's side seat unstuck itself, after being stuck all week. The passenger side is still stuck, however. I will call Toyota tomorrow and open a case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
See my posts from 2013 - back then, the 3rd row seats were manual. Non stop rattling. I'm not surprised that the new models in 2019 have automatic 3rd row seats - with problems that is. We were a toyota family for over 25+ years. The parts used by Toyota are getting cheaper every year. It's time to start looking at Hyundai.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Sienna Limited.

I had the exact same problem...dealer wanted $1K to fix...solved it with a rubberband....try googling to find the photos that show how to connect the pieces with a rubberband...just have to remove the cover behind the seats and pull this part down with a rubberband...honest to G-d....Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I filed lemon law paperwork. It has had this issue since 1600 miles and I have had it just over a year. Eight visits and one refusal of service in fourteen months of ownership.
Last month I used the military legal office to draft a letter stating that I would be filing for lemon law if the condition was not repaired. Toyota would not talk to me, only my lawyer. They refused to evaluate the vehicle within 30 days, and refused to fix the vehicle. So yeah, that's where this is going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2008 Limited with electric 3rd row seats. They have worked flawlessly for the 5 years I have owned it, and, I assume, with the previous 3 owners. My guess is that you have a bad set, not a design flaw. Good luck with the lemon law.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts