Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Sienna LE AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my Sienna, the 3rd row seats don't fold down flat fully - unless I keep a heavy object on the folded row :(
Anyone else seen this issue? I went to the local dealership today. The rep thought that it was a design flaw & that he would notify Toyota about the issue.

This is on the 2021 Toyota Sienna LE with 8-seater/AWD option.

---------------------------------------
PS: I switched from a 2012 Honda Odyssey EX (with fabric seats) to the new 2021 Sienna LE. The seats on the LE seem like a downgrade in almost every aspect (ease of folding/removing the seats, texture and color of the fabric, shape of the back rest, etc.)

·
Premium Member
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
129 Posts
The 3rd row seats do not have a latch to keep them in the "down" position, but in the case of Mr. Sparkollz (also an 8-seater AWD LE) gravity seems to keep them "down". That said, they are not completely flush with the rest of the floor.

This doesn't bother me, because we use the back for carrying stuff. All is covered by a mat.

We find the front seats comfortable, and the driver's seat has all the adjustments we need, but the 2nd and 3rd rows do feel a little budget-y.

That said, we both have the lowest trim (LE), while your Odyssey was EX, corresponding to Toyota's XLE rather than LE - maybe that's why you are feeling the difference in comfort and convenience?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

in the case of Mr. Sparkollz (also an 8-seater AWD LE) gravity seems to keep them "down".
Is gravity keeping it fully down? In the case of my van, it is not keeping it down for too long :(

That said, we both have the lowest trim (LE), while your Odyssey was EX, corresponding to Toyota's XLE rather than LE - maybe that's why you are feeling the difference in comfort and convenience?
Thanks. I was under the assumption that the Sienna LE & Odyssey EX were comparable (both have power doors/seats, comparable price range, etc).

·
Premium Member
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
129 Posts
Thanks for the response.

Is gravity keeping it fully down? In the case of my van, it is not keeping it down for too long :(

Thanks. I was under the assumption that the Sienna LE & Odyssey EX were comparable (both have power doors/seats, comparable price range, etc).
In our case, the 3rd row definitely doesn't come up by itself.

I think it's a general trend that the advanced power, automation, and safety features migrate downward towards lower trims.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Honda positions itself on the market by being "a little cheaper" than Toyota. In addition, the recent component shortages and other supply chain disruptions have been affecting the supply-and-demand equation. A lot of buyers found themselves paying premium not for getting extra features, but simply because the manufacturers can't make enough of the product.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response.
Found a video that shows the issue with the 3rd row that I'm referring to

·
Registered
428 Posts
The 3rd row seats do not have a latch to keep them in the "down" position, but in the case of Mr. Sparkollz (also an 8-seater AWD LE) gravity seems to keep them "down". That said, they are not completely flush with the rest of the floor.

This doesn't bother me, because we use the back for carrying stuff. All is covered by a mat.

We find the front seats comfortable, and the driver's seat has all the adjustments we need, but the 2nd and 3rd rows do feel a little budget-y.

It is not just the LE. My XLE 3rd row seats are the same.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is a safety issue (esp. when pets are in the van
How so? They bounce and jiggle a bit, but not very high. I’d also like the seats to “snap” into place when stowed, but not seeing how this puts pets at risk (especially since pets would weigh them down and stop them from bouncing)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for the link. While I’d definitely rather the stowed 3rd row seats snap into place, I’m not as terrified about the very minor jiggle of the 3rd row seats killing my dogs or breaking their legs as that poster seems to be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my Sienna, the 3rd row seats don't fold down flat fully - unless I keep a heavy object on the folded row :(
Anyone else seen this issue? I went to the local dealership today. The rep thought that it was a design flaw & that he would notify Toyota about the issue.

This is on the 2021 Toyota Sienna LE with 8-seater/AWD option.

---------------------------------------
PS: I switched from a 2012 Honda Odyssey EX (with fabric seats) to the new 2021 Sienna LE. The seats on the LE seem like a downgrade in almost every aspect (ease of folding/removing the seats, texture and color of the fabric, shape of the back rest, etc.)
I have the same issue on the 2021 XLE, I used to own the 2017 SE its third row seat would fold in flat, I immediately noticed the flaw on the 2021, its an annoyance but I guess we have to live with it. a slip on Toyota's perfect record!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Considering a 2021 and decided to wait for the 2022z, I’m optimistic that Toyota will do some homework. The 3rd row issue and the non Removable 2nd row is a major down fall on a great platform. Many people use the minivan for more than a People mover. Gotta wonder, was the Toyota guys recuperating from to much Sake over the wknd when they designed this floor plan layout?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts