Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had an issue with their third seats (specifically the single seat on the passenger seat) not staying down when folded. The upper section of the seat inclines upward by roughly a 20 degree angle. So far I have been able to work-around it by placing the trifold cargo liner on top. Will probably take it by the dealer in another week to have them check it out.

I have the Platinum trim so the seats are leather not the Softex in case that has any influence.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone had an issue with their third seats (specifically the single seat on the passenger seat) not staying down when folded. The upper section of the seat inclines upward by roughly a 20 degree angle. So far I have been able to work-around it by placing the trifold cargo liner on top. Will probably take it by the dealer in another week to have them check it out.

I have the Platinum trim so the seats are leather not the Softex in case that has any influence.
Other posts suggest that the 3rd row seats are not locked when folded. People have suggested putting just a bit of weight on it to make sure they stay down.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other posts suggest that the 3rd row seats are not locked when folded. People have suggested putting just a bit of weight on it to make sure they stay down.
Thanks. I have read that others notice the third row bounce up when they drive over a speed bump. But I was wondering if anyone noticed their seats not going down all the way. I can push the seat down all the way flat but the upper section bounces back up a few inches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have the same model and same issue and would appreciate an update after you have the dealer check out the situation. Thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Limited and have the same issue when going over speed bump - the seats have a tendancy to bounce up (even with the trifold on top of it which is not heavy enough to make a difference). Annoying!
That being said - the seats fold down reasonably well - although not completely flat. But not what UTChE96 describes.
I am also getting a "Check rear seat" message on dashboard, when I power off the car ... I have not investigated yet but I am guessing the 3rd row is the culprit - perhaps a switch to determine when its not properly stowed? If I have to bring it in for something, I'll have them look at it.

Putting weight on the 3rd row to keep it down can work but seems a shame on this $$ car ... I guess I will have a bone to pick on the survey I just got from Toyota asking for my opinion on the new car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I followed up with the dealer with no success. The service representative said it was normal for the passenger side 3rd row seat to pop up a couple inches. I took the opportunity to verify this while I was at the dealership. There were a couple other Siennas around which I checked. While the 3rd row passenger seat was not completely flat it was much flatter than mine. I took a picture and showed the service representative. He agreed that mine was worse and said he would file a product inquiry. Sounds like thats a dead end. I will call Toyota directly and try to get their feedback. See pictures below - left picture is of a CE base model which is fairly flat; right picture is my Platinum model which sticks up a few inches.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
546 Posts
Interesting. Might be the difference in seat cushion material? One gets squished a little more than the other, and engineers didn't account for that in their tolerance?

·
Registered
226 Posts
You may have already looked, but is there anything in the well, even in the hinge area, that may prevent it from lying fully flat (even a cargo tray)? If you have a cargo tray in the well, does this occur when it is removed? I assume you have the spare tire option - is the cover over the jack fully seated?

Like you, the 3rd row seats that I have actually tested have laid flat like your first picture - they don't snap or detent into place, but they do lay flat.

Keep us posted, I have a platinum on order - so I'll check for this upon delivery.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You may have already looked, but is there anything in the well, even in the hinge area, that may prevent it from lying fully flat (even a cargo tray)? If you have a cargo tray in the well, does this occur when it is removed? I assume you have the spare tire option - is the cover over the jack fully seated?

Like you, the 3rd row seats that I have actually tested have laid flat like your first picture - they don't snap or detent into place, but they do lay flat.

Keep us posted, I have a platinum on order - so I'll check for this upon delivery.
Thanks for that. I would be interested if other Platinum owners have noticed this issue. I have looked around for anything that could be causing this. I have no cargo tray and the jack is correctly stowed away. The good news is the tri-fold cargo liner weighs enough to keep the seat flat. Its not a critical issue but I would like it solved at some point.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We have a 2021 Limited that has a similar problem. The right (single) seat always pops up a couple of inches after driving it a short time. I’m guessing the engineers did too good of a job making the seats easy to unfold, and the momentum of the smaller seat exerts enough force when braking to pop up. The double seat on mine stays down, so I suspect the additional mass that it has keeps it down. I never thought the third seats in our previous 2011 Sienna were that hard to unfold, but I guess someone at Toyota design did. Or, maybe it’s more a result of cutting weight out of the third seat on the new model.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech Package
178 Posts
The new seats are made of resin (plastic) instead of steel in the old van so it's much lighter compare to the old models. People in this forum also mention the old models have latch to keep the seats down. These are little thing that would be so annoying for the amount of money the new van cost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We too have a Platinum and the 3rd row seats lie mostly flat and they do bounce when going over bumps even though we have the Tri fold cargo liner. I mentioned this to the dealer but no resolution. I am curious, like others, what they find to resolve this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The new seats are made of resin (plastic) instead of steel in the old van so it's much lighter compare to the old models. People in this forum also mention the old models have latch to keep the seats down. These are little thing that would be so annoying for the amount of money the new van cost.
There are only a couple things about the 2021 Sienna that I feel are inexcusable. The lack of a latch to keep the third row seats down is one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I submitted an inquiry to Toyota about this and they referred me back to the dealer. I have an appointment with the Auto shop manager on Tuesday to take a look. They keep telling me that all of the 2021 Siennas have this problem which is clearly not true.

·
Registered
8 Posts
  • I had my Sienna Limited in a couple days ago - and they said its "working as designed" meaning there is no issue. I asked that they file a case with Toyota HQ on the topic, which they did.
  • The dealer also suggested calling the national brand engagement center ... which I need to do tomorrow and reference the repair order and dealer contacts.
  • I also wrote an email to Toyota Customer Support via website, referencing this thread showing there are more than a couple folks with this issue. They responded by email and filed a case number for that too.

Unfortunately it looks like this will need to get some volume of customer complaints to get attention - so anyone who's got issue with the seats not folding down completely or bouncing on speedbumps should have the dealer look at it - and file a complaint.

I'll update if I hear anything else from the "Brand Engagement Center" folks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
  • I had my Sienna Limited in a couple days ago - and they said its "working as designed" meaning there is no issue. I asked that they file a case with Toyota HQ on the topic, which they did.
  • The dealer also suggested calling the national brand engagement center ... which I need to do tomorrow and reference the repair order and dealer contacts.
  • I also wrote an email to Toyota Customer Support via website, referencing this thread showing there are more than a couple folks with this issue. They responded by email and filed a case number for that too.

Unfortunately it looks like this will need to get some volume of customer complaints to get attention - so anyone who's got issue with the seats not folding down completely or bouncing on speedbumps should have the dealer look at it - and file a complaint.

I'll update if I hear anything else from the "Brand Engagement Center" folks.
Does your third row passenger seat pop up slightly like mine or just pop up when you go over a speed bump?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Are those without spare tires having as many problems? I am wondering if the jack placement is contributing to the problem.

-Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have the same model and same issue and would appreciate an update after you have the dealer check out the situation. Thanks,
Unfortunately I also bought the 2021 sienna. I hit a dip in the road and the the third row seat came flying forward and latched with the loudest bang I ever heard driving a car. I thought I was in a accident. I took it to Toyota Escondido in San Diego and they said nothing they can do. I'm glad my dog was not back there . He would either dead or had a broken leg. The Toyota dealer said to put some weight on the seats when down. (Real smart, just don't hit the breaks or you will have weights go flying through the windshield.) I had a 2014 Sienna and it did not have this issue.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts