Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Unfortunately I also bought the 2021 sienna. I hit a dip in the road and the the third row seat came flying forward and latched with the loudest bang I ever heard driving a car. I thought I was in a accident. I took it to Toyota Escondido in San Diego and they said nothing they can do. I'm glad my dog was not back there . He would either dead or had a broken leg. The Toyota dealer said to put some weight on the seats when down. (Real smart, just don't hit the breaks or you will have weights go flying through the windshield.) I had a 2014 Sienna and it did not have this issue.
Luckily the trifold liner seems to be enough weight to keep the seat flat and from popping up. I have given up on Toyota solving the problem at this point. Both Toyota customer service and the local dealer have said this is normal. They have a very weird definition of normal. I guess thats the risk of buying a first year model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Luckily the trifold liner seems to be enough weight to keep the seat flat and from popping up. I have given up on Toyota solving the problem at this point. Both Toyota customer service and the local dealer have said this is normal. They have a very weird definition of normal. I guess thats the risk of buying a first year model.
This is a serious safety issue. Pets will be killed if traveling in the back. If people follow Toyota's advise and keep weights on the seats someone will be hurt once the brakes are applied. I'm adding a link the the Department of Transportation's NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) website form to request an investigation into the design flaw. File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA . The more complaints, the more likely the investigation will get started.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Or just leave the seats in the upright position. If carrying large objects, then properly secure the cargo.

Not trying to be combative, as I think Toyota really did drop the ball on this one. But for maximum safety, those are the only options currently.

-Mike

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Or just leave the seats in the upright position. If carrying large objects, then properly secure the cargo.

Not trying to be combative, as I think Toyota really did drop the ball on this one. But for maximum safety, those are the only options currently.

-Mike
Agreed but Toyota needs to acknowledge and then officially warn consumers about this issue. So far I have only been met with denial from everyone I have spoken with at Toyota.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have this issue. We have an XLE Plus with the spare tire option. When the third row is down, it will bounce up when going over bumps. We plan to keep the third row up unless we need the storage area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found a very easy low cost solution - a bungee cord. Works well and easy to implement. See attached pictures.

Bungee cord installed:
View attachment 49063

Before:
View attachment 49067

After:
View attachment 49066
I implemented this and it does help quite a bit, but I took it one step further because it was thumping going over speed bumps. If you take 2 more bungee cords and use the "D" rings on the back of the stowage space, and connect to the same attach points as shown in the post above, you can further restrict the upward motion and it virtually eliminates the thumping (not 100% but you have to hit a bump pretty hard).
Here's some pictures of the workaround in action. It all gets hidden under the all weather mat and only take seconds to detach.
I'd still really like for Toyota to implement something better ... hopefully some of you have gone to the trouble of reporting like I did and get some eyeballs on it in R&D.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What a joke that you have to tie your brand new car with bungee cords so it doesn't make noise. Very disappointed as this is something they made a decision on to save a few dollars, yet cannot be ignored when you drive.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I implemented this and it does help quite a bit, but I took it one step further because it was thumping going over speed bumps. If you take 2 more bungee cords and use the "D" rings on the back of the stowage space, and connect to the same attach points as shown in the post above, you can further restrict the upward motion and it virtually eliminates the thumping (not 100% but you have to hit a bump pretty hard).
Here's some pictures of the workaround in action. It all gets hidden under the all weather mat and only take seconds to detach.
I'd still really like for Toyota to implement something better ... hopefully some of you have gone to the trouble of reporting like I did and get some eyeballs on it in R&D.

View attachment 49798

View attachment 49799

View attachment 49800
Is that the "All Weather" carpet package that can be picked over the cloth carpet?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yep same issue here. Going to report it when I go in for the 1st oil change. It seems an easy fix Toyota should put out. I suspect they focused on the ease of using this feature and forgot the weight would hold them in place. That composite they use is light and strong. Just add a lock in mechanism and it's good to go.

I'll take a 1st year redesign issue like this over any mechanical or electrical problems..

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Yep same issue here. Going to report it when I go in for the 1st oil change. It seems an easy fix Toyota should put out. I suspect they focused on the ease of using this feature and forgot the weight would hold them in place. That composite they use is light and strong. Just add a lock in mechanism and it's good to go.

I'll take a 1st year redesign issue like this over any mechanical or electrical problems..
I don't use the third row seats so I bought the Weathertech mat. It holds them down and I have a nice level, waterproof surface.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently bought my 2021 Sienna XLE and the trifold tray. When I went to put the tray in place, I noticed the 1/3 rear seat not staying flat too. I kept trying to push it down or check if something was interfering with the seat. It does seem odd only the 1/3 seat won’t stay flat. The trifold tray seems to help.

·
Premium Member
2021 Sienna LE Plus AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
224 Posts
Interesting. Might be the difference in seat cushion material? One gets squished a little more than the other, and engineers didn't account for that in their tolerance?
That was my initial thought, too, but in this case wouldn't you get the same problem with the left seats?

·
Registered
87 Posts
We also have a PLT but no issue with the seats laying flat. We have only folded them down to put dogs in the back, but then there is also a large thick mat on top of the seats and 100+lbs of dogs. Some of the comments in this thread do have me concerned about what would happen in a crash or sudden breaking, etc. If Toyota offers a solution to any of you please post it ASAP.

For those of you experiencing the bumping/thumping of the rear seats -- does this occur only when going over speedbumps, etc? Or does it also rattle and bump when just going down a normal road?

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Sienna LE AWD
8 Posts
I have the LE/AWD model, and have noticed this issue. It's pretty annoying especially when driving on a bump (pets can get injured, light things kept on the seat can topple). It's reached a point that I don't place any to-go food containers at the back :(

For those of you experiencing the bumping/thumping of the rear seats -- does this occur only when going over speedbumps, etc? Or does it also rattle and bump when just going down a normal road?
For me, the bumping & thumping is mostly when going over a bump.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Sienna LE AWD
8 Posts
Unfortunately I also bought the 2021 sienna. I hit a dip in the road and the the third row seat came flying forward and latched with the loudest bang I ever heard driving a car. I thought I was in a accident. I took it to Toyota Escondido in San Diego and they said nothing they can do. I'm glad my dog was not back there . He would either dead or had a broken leg. The Toyota dealer said to put some weight on the seats when down. (Real smart, just don't hit the breaks or you will have weights go flying through the windshield.) I had a 2014 Sienna and it did not have this issue.
This is pretty scary!
Could the bungee cord even hold-up in such a scenario?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone had an issue with their third seats (specifically the single seat on the passenger seat) not staying down when folded. The upper section of the seat inclines upward by roughly a 20 degree angle. So far I have been able to work-around it by placing the trifold cargo liner on top. Will probably take it by the dealer in another week to have them check it out.

I have the Platinum trim so the seats are leather not the Softex in case that has any influence.
My 2021 driver's side 3rd row seat came flying up and forward, and locked into place, when I stepped on the brakes suddenly. This was a very loud bang which sounded like I was rear-ended. It would have crushed anything in its path. Until Toyota does the right thing and provides a QUALITY and NICE LOOKING fix, I've installed these adjustible motorcycle straps. I'll use some black ones, but wanted readers to see these. I will try and find some adjustible black 48 inch straps with clips.
which are a little less beefy.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts