Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited • Predawn Mica Gray
36 Posts
Call me a sucker, but I ended up ordering the trifold liner. Also the cargo tray. Especially after this thread:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Combo solution! - Flopping 3rd Row when stowed...and....lack of full-size spare in some Siennas.

I have a FWD limited which did not come with a spare. I bought an after market wheel/tire from discount tire, a wrench/jack from modernspare.com, then secured the spare in the rear cargo area with two rubber bungee attached to the anchor rings in the rear wall of the cargo area and the two seat anchors.

Rock solid, and easily removable if you need the 3rd row. Now neither seat moves, and I have a spare.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE FWD & 2021 Sienna LE FWD
130 Posts
Abusouk,

I like your solution. better spare, probably a better jack and wrench too. you don't have to mess with replacing your unused donut down the road either since your spare is a real tire.

I wonder if growing up driving back roads in pre cell phone days makes me more enthusiastic about spare tires than the youngsters of today? 😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I grew up driving a 92 Chevy Astro (Not a mini van). The Sienna replaced my 08 Subaru Forester.
If you have had a chance to compare the AWD capabilities of the Sienna and the Forester, what is your opinion?

My Sienna hasn't arrived yet, but my soon-to-be-former car is a 2012 Prius V. Great car, love the cargo space on par with many midsize SUVs. No problems with it through 100k miles, but still gets a bit cramped when camping (hence the Sienna).
Interestingly, in some markets outside of the US the V was once available with 7 seats, even though the larger RAV4 has never been.

Previous vehicle was a 2008 Subaru Tribeca. I really did love that vehicle. Terrible on gas mileage but it was awesome in the snow. One of the few vehicles that had a 40-20-40 2nd row. Made it great for skies, lumber, etc. New Sienna blows it away though in terms of cargo space. I'm a totally a van convert. 3 row SUVs make no sense to me anymore.
I guess this coming winter we are going to find out how well the Sienna performs in the snow. So far I have only seen Mr. Sparkollz go into AWD mode when accelerating from 0 to perhaps 20 mph, but never in rain or on what I felt were slippery surfaces.

I recently installed the OEM trifold liner. The third row seats still don't lay flat when I drive on a bump :(
If I remember correctly, the OEM trifold (which I bought and had to return, because it was not covering the seats fully, leaving a 1/2" gap on both sides). Besides, it was very thin and plasticky, so to speak, unlike the mats that the car came with - thick and rubbery.

Have you tried a bungee cord? I recall it worked well for me, when the cargo area was empty. Now I have a pet liner with a oil absorption pad over it, plus a spare wheel in the cargo hold, so the 3rd row has nowhere to go :)

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
285 Posts
I guess this coming winter we are going to find out how well the Sienna performs in the snow. So far I have only seen Mr. Sparkollz go into AWD mode when accelerating from 0 to perhaps 20 mph, but never in rain or on what I felt were slippery surfaces.
I have seen AWD also activate on sharper corners (not gentle bends) and uphill slopes. I have not seen it active in the rain, but it is probably looking for actual slip before activating. Since the rear motor is air cooled and not liquid cooled, Toyota has chosen not to run it full time to minimize the risk of overheating.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have seen AWD also activate on sharper corners (not gentle bends) and uphill slopes. I have not seen it active in the rain, but it is probably looking for actual slip before activating. Since the rear motor is air cooled and not liquid cooled, Toyota has chosen not to run it full time to minimize the risk of overheating.
I have previously had a Subaru Outback and an Audi A4, two of the most robust and effective AWD systems on the planet. I would rather have those cars if I was crawling through a slippery mountain pass, traveling down curvy roads in the rain, or through mud/sand (Subie only there). But for around town during a rain storm (we have received measurable snow once in the last 5 years) the sienna’s AWD is quite effective. I’ll admit to trying to get the back end to slide out, lose grip, etc. The electric motor in the rear does a really nice job of keeping grip in the rear and the van straight. I actually think it’s a very clever and functional system for a minivan to have.

·
Registered
575 Posts
On another note, the trifold liner just saved my ass when milk we’d just bought at the store this morning leaked on the way home. Only a tiny dribble flowed off the side and it wiped up pretty easily. I was then able to soak up and dump the rest of the loose milk off from the mat and quickly hose it off good as new. It was easy, and most frustrating part is I now need to return to the store for more milk (and not have the whole van steam cleaned and dried out).

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited • Predawn Mica Gray
36 Posts
Finally picked up the trifold liner and the cargo tray today. First impressions:

The trifold liner is more flimsy than I thought it would be. I thought it would be heavy and thicker, but it's quite the opposite. It feels lighter than a typical floor mat. But I guess it works. On the other hand, the cargo tray is a lot nicer than I thought it would be. Looks really handsome and it fits so perfectly.

I still need to vacuum up the back and "re-install" these 2 items. Lots of dog hair in the back. My yellow lab sheds a LOT.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Finally picked up the trifold liner and the cargo tray today. First impressions:

The trifold liner is more flimsy than I thought it would be. I thought it would be heavy and thicker, but it's quite the opposite. It feels lighter than a typical floor mat. But I guess it works. On the other hand, the cargo tray is a lot nicer than I thought it would be. Looks really handsome and it fits so perfectly.

I still need to vacuum up the back and "re-install" these 2 items. Lots of dog hair in the back. My yellow lab sheds a LOT.
I think I have already reported on this forum that the trifold liner (described as "OEM") I bought felt more like those thin, $20-something trimmable PVC liners. Nothing like the thick, rubbery mats the car came with. More importantly, it was also a little narrower than the area it was supposed to cover, leaving 1/2" gaps on either side. So, it had to be sent back.

Instead, I bought a padded pet liner that covers not only the floor but the backs of the 2rd row seats, something like this:

Pet Dog Cargo Liner Oxford Car SUV Seat Cover Floor Mat Non-Slip Backing | eBay

On top of it I spread an oil absorption pad, something like this:

Maintenance Mat/Oil Spill Mat Absorbent/Waterproof Garage Floor 58" x 72" | eBay

This $100.00 combo paid for itself within a week, when an piece of work gear decided to leak some oil from its gearbox - probably enough to overwhelm the "OEM" tri-fold liner holding capacity. It's kind of unwieldy to remove and reinstall, but we use the 3rd bench once in a few months only, so this isn't a concern.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone had an issue with their third seats (specifically the single seat on the passenger seat) not staying down when folded. The upper section of the seat inclines upward by roughly a 20 degree angle. So far I have been able to work-around it by placing the trifold cargo liner on top. Will probably take it by the dealer in another week to have them check it out.

I have the Platinum trim so the seats are leather not the Softex in case that has any influence.
I have the same problem with my 2021 LE and have complained to my selling dealership, my servicing dealer and to Toyota Customer care. All say this isn't right but this is what it is. Have an appointment with My servicing dealer Wed to let the check further. I want them to file with Toyota. Since I know the owner I will probably ask his assistance in getting a resolution.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
681 Posts
Thinking out loud, there are a couple of D rings/hooks in the back. How about a couple of bungee cords from D Rings to the Headrests, or in the hook/child seat anchors behind the seats? I have too much crap in my wheel well to try it out. However, I have 5 folding chairs that I have tied up standing with bungee cords between two hooks/child seat Anchors.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Another solution that I am trying out - 2 carabiners connecting the head rest to the anchors.

View attachment 52323
So far I am much preferring the use of carabiners to bungee cords. Since the carabiners are rigid, I don't get the "hop up" when I go over a speed bump. Also its easier to install and uninstall. Plus I can leave the carabiners hanging off the headrest when the seats are in the upright position.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts