Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking, since Toyota really put up an effort on lowering the quality of the interior of our vans... I live in a really hot, really sunny part of the country (laredo TX)
I have had a cavalier (back in 98) dash crack to pieces due to quality and sun exposure.
I think Toyota has been also liable for some dashboard recalls.
With this in mind, would a dash cover be a good insvestment?
Amazon.com: KEEGTBOX Dash Mat Cover Custom Interior Center Console Kit for Toyota Sienna LE XLE Woodland Edition XSE Limited Platinum Edition 2021 2022 Dashboard mat Covers Accessories : Automotive
Anyone has one?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think its worthwhile, but I do live in Texas. I use a windshield shade ($8 from costco) and it works well. I think the manufacturers have solved the cracked dash problem from the 80s and 90s. But it certainly couldn't hurt and at those prices, why not.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,128 Posts
I would probably get it after my dash has cracks ;).

Sienna comes with kind of nicer dashboard. Why have it if it will never see light of the day always covered under cheap amazon rug?

This kind of reminds me of my earlier car purchase. We bought a 2001 Chevy Prism in 2009. To our surprise, it had brand new original unused carpet rugs in the trunk. The couple who had bought this car new had bought cheaper aftermarket carpets so as the factory ones don't get spoiled!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I wonder why they made this thing so dark, I'd say dull gray would be a good compromise .... but this picture gave me giggles :)

Product Font Technology Terrestrial plant Brand

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have ceramic tint on the front windshield and front side windows. The side windows are 35%, whereas the front windshield is clear. Also have PPF on the headlights to prevent hazing, as this car will be parked outside.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The main purpose of the mat listed in the O/P is to cut the glare of the stock dashboard on the glass/windshield. If you want to see how it works - get any flat black cloth and put it on your dash - you will notice that under the sun - you get a better view of the road when the dash is not reflecting back unto your eyes.

Reactions: umerw and Dimitrij

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've used Covercraft dashmats on my last 5 cars. Specifically, Covercraft Ltd Edition fabric dash mats. Most carpet based dash mats are too thick and look unattractive on a car dash IMHO. The particular fabric mat that I get is much thinner, though durable, and has a more "high tech" look that I really like. Helps keep the dash clean and only needs an occasional vacuuming. If it helps avoid dash cracking, even better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The main purpose of the mat listed in the O/P is to cut the glare of the stock dashboard on the glass/windshield. If you want to see how it works - get any flat black cloth and put it on your dash - you will notice that under the sun - you get a better view of the road when the dash is not reflecting back unto your eyes.
Was it the main purpose? Because he starts his post about cracking dashboards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wonder if "clear" ceramic film is allowed in all states?
If it's clear, no one would notice. So I wouldn't concern myself with legality. I also have no front plates on my cars even though they are required here in CA. Same goes for side window tint. They are not allowed at all on front side windows. But many people do it anyway. As long as it's not totally dark and you don't fit the profile of a criminal or gangbanger, you're fine. Been doing this for 30 years, no issues with police.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts