Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
281 - 300 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
614 Posts
My #1 gripe with the Dynamic Cruise Control is that it keeps me 3 football fields behind the car in front of me.
Has Toyota changed the parameters for the Cruise Control? Are you REALLY 900 feet behind the car?
Or does it just seem that way?

My '18 seems to follow about 3 seconds behind the car ahead. I checked that because it seems to follow closer at lower speeds, so I found that it is more time-related than distance-related (which I like).

Yes, it seems like you are quite a way back, especially on a busier freeway, where everyone will see that space ahead of you and invite themselves to occupy it. Yes, it can be reduced by pressing the "following distance" button, but that won't change your need to cancel the system or press the pedal to override. In fact, because you are closer, you will have to be MORE attentive to your surroundings and quicker to respond.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
607 Posts
I thinks there was a wee bit of exageration in the OPs post. Probably closer to 30 feet at max setting.
The distance is related to the speed the vehicle is traveling. At 70 mph, the max distance is quite far. On the highway, I usually use the medium setting because the max setting just invites people to pass and then fill the large gap in front of you. Plus, you have to pull out to pass way early because the car will slow down pretty far back if the vehicle in front is slower than your cruise setting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not a big feature as I’m sure this is common but I learned how to quickly mute music. Wife received a call on her phone and I just pressed on the volume button. It worked! Pressed on it again after the call was over and it unmuted the audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
614 Posts
TIL if you wait out the really annoying (and loud) seat belt tone, it eventually goes away (about a minute).
Even better: if you are annoyed by waiting, you can go to the dealer and have them disable that alarm. If you choose that route, be aware that each front seat has a separate alarm setting, so ask them to do BOTH, if that's what you want.

There will be no sermon from me about the 'danger' of disabling this tone, as I have had it done to my own van. As for the driver's seat, there are times I am not getting out on the public road and don't really need to be restrained for the few hundred yards I will be moving. As for the pasenger's seat, I occasionally set things on there that trigger the alarm.

Your van, your choice, but the dealer can disable the alarm, if you wish.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
607 Posts
Not a big feature as I’m sure this is common but I learned how to quickly mute music. Wife received a call on her phone and I just pressed on the volume button. It worked! Pressed on it again after the call was over and it unmuted the audio.
You can also press and hold the mode button for about a second to mute the sound. Press and hold for about a second again to unmute.

·
Registered
2021 FWD 8-passenger XLE in Blizzard Pearl
28 Posts
You can also press and hold the mode button for about a second to mute the sound. Press and hold for about a second again to unmute.
This actually pauses the audio (even radio) and picks back up where you left off. Useful when ordering at a drive thru but don't want to miss what they're talking about on the radio. You can later fast forward through commercials.
Pressing the volume knob turns the audio off.

·
Registered
649 Posts
This actually pauses the audio (even radio) and picks back up where you left off. Useful when ordering at a drive thru but don't want to miss what they're talking about on the radio. You can later fast forward through commercials.
Pressing the volume knob turns the audio off.
Is this on all trims... ability to pause radio and then forward?

Gotta try this later this week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My father bought the 2022, wondering if the reverse tilt is a feature on the new model. We have a tricky driveway and would also be great for parallel parking. Thanks for any feedback.
Alright, one more and then I'll give someone else a turn. I was mildly disappointed that the Sienna side mirrors don't tilt down when I go in reverse, say backing into a parking space. My Lexus does that -- both side mirrors reorient themselves to be able to view the curb.
This weekend I was playing around with it and realized that they do do this, but only when the wide view mirror adjustment knob is turned to control the left or right side mirror (doesn't matter which). Once I had mine adjusted my instinct is to leave the adjustment knob in the center position so I don't accidentally adjust them, but that "lock" seems to also lock them in place in reverse (essentially disabling the reverse tilt-down function.
Not sure I love that fact, but I am glad to have the tilt-down feature back.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,126 Posts
My father bought the 2022, wondering if the reverse tilt is a feature on the new model. We have a tricky driveway and would also be great for parallel parking. Thanks for any feedback.
I am not sure if it is Trim specific or not, but it tilts on our Plat.

To see if it works for your trim or not, test it out. Start the car, hold the brake pedal tight, shift to reverse, stay stopped (and safe), and adjust both mirrors. Now shift back to park. (IIRC, both mirrors should go back to earlier positions). Now, move the nob to L or R again, and shift to reverse (holding the brake tight.) Both mirrors should go to the position they were in when you were in reverse earlier.

In short, you enable the reverse tilt by putting the nob on the L or R. You set/memorize/remember reverse tilt positions while being in reverse.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am not sure if it is Trim specific or not, but it tilts on our Plat.

To see if it works for your trim or not, test it out. Start the car, hold the brake pedal tight, shift to reverse, stay stopped (and safe), and adjust both mirrors. Now shift back to park. (IIRC, both mirrors should go back to earlier positions). Now, move the nob to L or R again, and shift to reverse (holding the brake tight.) Both mirrors should go to the position they were in when you were in reverse earlier.

In short, you enable the reverse tilt by putting the nob on the L or R. You set/memorize/remember reverse tilt positions while being in reverse.
I just tried it on my 2021 XSE w/Plus and it does not work. I seem to recall this was a Platinum only feature.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
169 Posts
Has Toyota changed the parameters for the Cruise Control? Are you REALLY 900 feet behind the car?
Or does it just seem that way?

My '18 seems to follow about 3 seconds behind the car ahead. I checked that because it seems to follow closer at lower speeds, so I found that it is more time-related than distance-related (which I like).

Yes, it seems like you are quite a way back, especially on a busier freeway, where everyone will see that space ahead of you and invite themselves to occupy it. Yes, it can be reduced by pressing the "following distance" button, but that won't change your need to cancel the system or press the pedal to override. In fact, because you are closer, you will have to be MORE attentive to your surroundings and quicker to respond.

:)
@datsa noydb - Yes, I was stretching truth.

At 80 MPH, we are covering ~40 yards/second.
A 3 second gap would equate to ~120 yard gap, which is 1 football field including the endzones - :)

As @wscan mentioned, it is far enough distance so many people keep cutting in.
(many = four 18-wheelers)

plenty far for an 18-wheeler

281 - 300 of 320 Posts