Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
301 - 320 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
It definitely does this as your moving slow forward or reverse.

Yes, I agree, this is annoying...I have to stick my head out the window instead. Sometimes technology can be an inconvenience.
can confirm it will also do this if you are moving fast. i tested it just for shits and giggles in my work parking lot. Its not stopping the drivetrain, its turning the parking brake on at slower speeds, and activating the full brakes at higher speeds. if you open a door, and the weight sensor in it detects a large change in the "someone fell out" direction, it will stop the car as fast as possible. you cannot disable this, but if you need to back up with your door open and leaning out, just let it activate while moving slowly and then turn off the parking brake once it sets, and then it won't reactivate(but you will get a dinging warning on the dash to put in in park and stop before opening the doors). for reference, I tested this at 5mph, 20mph, and 50mph. the 50mph was done by opening the door and lifting my ass off the seat so the weight sensor thought I fell out. it fucking hurt hitting the steeringwheel that hard. would not recommend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found that the cruise control holds speeds a lot better than I expected while going up and down hills. Normally when I make this trip, I shut off the cruise control, but a couple of days ago I decided to try it. The climb and descent over a mountain are 8%. With the cruise control on and set to 60, the speeds varied from 59 to 62...that's it. I expected the speed to fall off more while climbing and some brake applications to be needed on the descent. Instead, I just steered and the cruise control did its job. The only potential downside was that the range was 30 miles less than a previous trip when I didn't use the cruise control.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I found that the cruise control holds speeds a lot better than I expected while going up and down hills. Normally when I make this trip, I shut off the cruise control, but a couple of days ago I decided to try it. The climb and descent over a mountain are 8%. With the cruise control on and set to 60, the speeds varied from 59 to 62...that's it. I expected the speed to fall off more while climbing and some brake applications to be needed on the descent. Instead, I just steered and the cruise control did its job. The only potential downside was that the range was 30 miles less than a previous trip when I didn't use the cruise control.
I wish there was an option to allow the cruise control to vary more on the hills. Dropping down to the speed limit uphill and maybe 20% over on the downhills greatly increases the fuel efficiency over the cruise control hitting the gas hard to hold the same speed uphill.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I wish there was an option to allow the cruise control to vary more on the hills. Dropping down to the speed limit uphill and maybe 20% over on the downhills greatly increases the fuel efficiency over the cruise control hitting the gas hard to hold the same speed uphill.
I actively manage this myself via the Coast button on the steering wheel, as you’re absolutely correct on the effect from less aggressive throttle expectations on the uphill runs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I actively manage this myself via the Coast button on the steering wheel, as you’re absolutely correct on the effect from less aggressive throttle expectations on the uphill runs.
I remember driving another car in eco mode where it didn’t allow quick throttle inputs and gradually accelerated to maximize fuel economy. Ecodrive settings don’t seem to do anything fit this sienna.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I remember driving another car in eco mode where it didn’t allow quick throttle inputs and gradually accelerated to maximize fuel economy. Ecodrive settings don’t seem to do anything fit this sienna.
The 3 drive modes change the accelerator response curve but from my experience the bottom (no input) and top (pedal all the way down) are the same for all three. In Eco, a light accelerator will get the car moving with the electric motors. In Sport the same input instantly starts the ICE and uses that plus the motors. It seems to change the acceleration curve for cruise control as well which can be observed in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The 3 drive modes change the accelerator response curve but from my experience the bottom (no input) and top (pedal all the way down) are the same for all three. In Eco, a light accelerator will get the car moving with the electric motors. In Sport the same input instantly starts the ICE and uses that plus the motors. It seems to change the acceleration curve for cruise control as well which can be observed in stop and go traffic.
eco also changes the hvac settings(limit fan speed to like 30%, more use of the heat pump for heating and cooling if possible, shut the heater core circuit off to keep more heat in the engine to keep efficiency up), and both eco and sport have different regen braking profiles over normal. eco is more aggressive on accel lift off, IE, you will slow down faster without touching the brake pedal, and sport mode is really aggresive with regen braking, but only once you start pressing the pedal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
eco also changes the hvac settings(limit fan speed to like 30%, more use of the heat pump for heating and cooling if possible, shut the heater core circuit off to keep more heat in the engine to keep efficiency up), and both eco and sport have different regen braking profiles over normal. eco is more aggressive on accel lift off, IE, you will slow down faster without touching the brake pedal, and sport mode is really aggresive with regen braking, but only once you start pressing the pedal.
HVAC "eco" and engine "eco" are two different things.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can you not keep ECO Hvac off thru 9" inch screen?
Not that I've found. Regardless of what it was set to the last time, at start-up it defaults back to eco. It may programmable by the dealer (or a 3rd party tool) just like a lot of other things that we should have access to - like holding the fob unlock button to roll down all the windows.

·
Registered
2021 FWD 8-passenger XLE in Blizzard Pearl
34 Posts
Not that I've found. Regardless of what it was set to the last time, at start-up it defaults back to eco. It may programmable by the dealer (or a 3rd party tool) just like a lot of other things that we should have access to - like holding the fob unlock button to roll down all the windows.
I was able to keep my HVAC from defaulting back to ECO mode last summer. I believe the key was disabling it in the center display and disabling the switch that detects occupants and adjusts the active HVAC zones (no idea what it's called).

·
Registered
333 Posts
TIL that my Sienna is actually longer (by about 1") than the huge FULL SIZE (3/4 ton, long wheelbase) 8-passenger Chevy van my family had growing up. And my Sienna is only an inch narrower. Hard to believe but I found the specs on our old van and it's true!

301 - 320 of 354 Posts