Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Reminds me of another TIL.

It can change lanes itself too. Just give the signal. It will automatically proceed to the next lane, left or right, with DRCC.
I just tried this and it does not work. As soon as I activate the turn signal, the LTA on the side I activated disables and the car does nothing. I tried both the full signal as well as the quick 3-flash signal.

How do you make this work?

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
243 Posts
I just tried this and it does not work. As soon as I activate the turn signal, the LTA on the side I activated disables and the car does nothing. I tried both the full signal as well as the quick 3-flash signal.

How do you make this work?
I hadn't done anything special. It would go over in next lane after turning the signal on. I swear it worked for me more than one time. I was on a 3 lane going in same direction on an interstate, going about 70MPH.

Update: Seems like turning on the signal when the solid line is ON for LTA seems to does it. DRCC activation isn't needed. As soon as you turn the signal on, the LTA solid line goes hollow, and the car starts drifting soon. It may not find the solid line on the other side of the lane it is moving to so you have to be ready to stop the drift.

My quick run to grocery wasn't long enough but I did try it about 4 times around 30MPH. There's definitely a drift, or may be I am just imagining it. I don't think my alignment can be so bad already on both sides though. I suppose the Manual must spell something out on it, but what's fun in that ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I hadn't done anything special. It would go over in next lane after turning the signal on. I swear it worked for me more than one time. I was on a 3 lane going in same direction on an interstate, going about 70MPH.

Update: Seems like turning on the signal when the solid line is ON for LTA seems to does it. DRCC activation isn't needed. As soon as you turn the signal on, the LTA solid line goes hollow, and the car starts drifting soon. It may not find the solid line on the other side of the lane it is moving to so you have to be ready to stop the drift.

My quick run to grocery wasn't long enough but I did try it about 4 times around 30MPH. There's definitely a drift, or may be I am just imagining it. I don't think my alignment can be so bad already on both sides though. I suppose the Manual must spell something out on it, but what's fun in that ;)
Maybe it's the weird road lines here in Texas causing it. I'll try when I hit the highway Saturday and see if i can get it to work.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm not sure this is an intended feature of Safety Sense/LTA, but works, when you use the turn-signal and there is no blind-spot activity, it turns off the lane departure warning and likely eases the LTA assist on the side the turn signal is operating. A gentle nudge of the wheel in the direction of the new lane would put you in the new lane, turn-signal cuts off, and LTA resumes keeping you in the new lane? I wouldn't necessarily rely on this functioning this way all the time, but if it augments your driving in a positive way it's likely a good thing.

I'm on my second vehicle with Safety Sense and DRCC, and soon to be third, these systems are great, but should be considered a safety net at best to augment you as driver. Both my current and prior Safety Sense vehicles the systems operate uniquely by vehicle, and each had some characteristics, that were rather predictable that could cause a collision if you are relying on the system as primary. This is sort of like the Tesla's running under turning tractor-trailer rigs and 737Max automation where there was too much reliance on these systems.

But I'm actively absorbing the comments on the new Sienna's for when mine arrives at the end of April.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not sure this is an intended feature of Safety Sense/LTA, but works, when you use the turn-signal and there is no blind-spot activity, it turns off the lane departure warning and likely eases the LTA assist on the side the turn signal is operating. A gentle nudge of the wheel in the direction of the new lane would put you in the new lane, turn-signal cuts off, and LTA resumes keeping you in the new lane? I wouldn't necessarily rely on this functioning this way all the time, but if it augments your driving in a positive way it's likely a good thing.

I'm on my second vehicle with Safety Sense and DRCC, and soon to be third, these systems are great, but should be considered a safety net at best to augment you as driver. Both my current and prior Safety Sense vehicles the systems operate uniquely by vehicle, and each had some characteristics, that were rather predictable that could cause a collision if you are relying on the system as primary. This is sort of like the Tesla's running under turning tractor-trailer rigs and 737Max automation where there was too much reliance on these systems.

But I'm actively absorbing the comments on the new Sienna's for when mine arrives at the end of April.
Yup. This is it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can't get it to work at all. When I hit the turn signal the LTA on the side I'm signaling disables (line goes hollow) and the car just tracks straight. There was no movement in the wheel. I went at least a quarter mile with the blinker on and my hand barely on the wheel..not even the slightest hint of a lane change.

If I have to nudge the wheel even a little bit I might as well make the lane change myself 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
243 Posts
It is also scary on a straight two lane road when it seems to consistently veer to the left just as a semi is approaching from the opposite direction. Does everyone's wheel constantly wobble as it tries to keep in the center of the lane, or is there something wrong with mine? I find it very disconcerting.
I have experienced wobbles only on the curves on interstates.

Also, I have yet to experience the Kamikazesqe behavior that you mentioned on two-lane road with Semi coming from the opposite side.

If anything, I have learned that I have to be more attentive driving WITH the driver's assist features, than without :(.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've found it to be good on freeways. Doing it on a windy 2-lane mountain highway it is not great. On tight corners it just gives up and decides to go straight.

In comparison my Tesla Model 3 handles the 2-lane mountain road just fine, including reducing speed around tight corners.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've found it to be good on freeways. Doing it on a windy 2-lane mountain highway it is not great. On tight corners it just gives up and decides to go straight.

In comparison my Tesla Model 3 handles the 2-lane mountain road just fine, including reducing speed around tight corners.
It's definitely not on teslas level by any means

·
Registered
199 Posts
Alright, one more and then I'll give someone else a turn. I was mildly disappointed that the Sienna side mirrors don't tilt down when I go in reverse, say backing into a parking space. My Lexus does that -- both side mirrors reorient themselves to be able to view the curb.
This weekend I was playing around with it and realized that they do do this, but only when the wide view mirror adjustment knob is turned to control the left or right side mirror (doesn't matter which). Once I had mine adjusted my instinct is to leave the adjustment knob in the center position so I don't accidentally adjust them, but that "lock" seems to also lock them in place in reverse (essentially disabling the reverse tilt-down function.
Not sure I love that fact, but I am glad to have the tilt-down feature back.
I learned that it is legal to leave a vehicle running unattended in Delaware provided it was started with a remote device and requires the key to be placed in the ignition or physically present in the vehicle before the vehicle can be operated. Chapter 41, Subsection XI, Para. 4182

·
Registered
30 Posts
The other day as I was backing up into a parking space, I had to open the door to see if I was too close to a pillar as I was moving back...as soon as the door opened the sienna stopped and would not move no matter what I did. I had to close the door, shift it back to park and back to reverse in order for it to move again...and I think the second time I did this I also had to disengage the parking brake to resume. Wonder if this happens if I was going at higher speeds.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The other day as I was backing up into a parking space, I had to open the door to see if I was too close to a pillar as I was moving back...as soon as the door opened the sienna stopped and would not move no matter what I did. I had to close the door, shift it back to park and back to reverse in order for it to move again...and I think the second time I did this I also had to disengage the parking brake to resume. Wonder if this happens if I was going at higher speeds.
I've opened the door before at higher speeds and still driven. My guess is it happens if you open the door and then stop, or if you are slow enough it might stop for you.

My dad's new rogue does this as well and it's really annoying for those times where you just want to move the thing a few feet or need to see the curb, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've opened the door before at higher speeds and still driven. My guess is it happens if you open the door and then stop, or if you are slow enough it might stop for you.

My dad's new rogue does this as well and it's really annoying for those times where you just want to move the thing a few feet or need to see the curb, etc.
It definitely does this as your moving slow forward or reverse.

Yes, I agree, this is annoying...I have to stick my head out the window instead. Sometimes technology can be an inconvenience.

·
Registered
150 Posts
TiL the wifi in the car is super unreliable to connect, but once it connects its pretty good. It times itself out every time several times before it finally connects. Lame. Even lamer, you can't simply toggle wifi on/off while driving??? What bozo decided that? You have to stop. Super lame.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
TIL that you can lock the doors using the remote BEFORE the doors are closed. On our prior van (Honda Odyssey) if you closed any of the three automated doors you had to wait until they had completely closed before you could use the remote button to lock the door. On our Sienna however you can trigger the automated door close (with the remote, the door handle or the door button) and then immediately press the lock button on the key fob and walk away. A few seconds later, once the door has closed, the normal lock sequence happens. Nice feature, especially in the cold or rain, that you can put your keys in your pocket and start walking away knowing that the car will lock when ready.

·
Registered
150 Posts
TIL that you can lock the doors using the remote BEFORE the doors are closed. On our prior van (Honda Odyssey) if you closed any of the three automated doors you had to wait until they had completely closed before you could use the remote button to lock the door. On our Sienna however you can trigger the automated door close (with the remote, the door handle or the door button) and then immediately press the lock button on the key fob and walk away. A few seconds later, once the door has closed, the normal lock sequence happens. Nice feature, especially in the cold or rain, that you can put your keys in your pocket and start walking away knowing that the car will lock when ready.
Same with the divot button on the two front door handles. Press it and walk away while the sliding door is still closing and it'll lock up. Love that.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts