Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
We're a Toyota family and have been on the waiting list for a Sienna since October. Our experience with the Toyota buying experience has been worse than terrible. Dealerships constantly switching stories, passed between sales guy to sales guy and forced options we simply don't want. The latest is the gulf states paint protection then the dealer paint protection mark up on the same vehicle. Not to mention the mudguards, roof rails and rear entertainment system etc. etc. It's Nuts!

It looks as though Tesla came down below the EV tax credit on some models. A Model 3 performance after the credit is now $47k. My wife and I are about to place the order online for the Tesla and cancel the Toyota. We really wanted the Sienna but are running out of patience with the whole process.

The crazy thing is that we can order the Tesla from home, without the dealership slime and have the Tesla delivered first week in Feb 2023.

Decisions, decisions. One thing I know is if the Toyota dealership try anything else from this point they can stick their van up their ***
Toyota are good vehicles with good quality control. Like Honda, they also have a few issues that one can live with. Before buying EVs, be prepared for the future cost of replacing the batteries. Can cost you an arm and a leg. Wishful thinking for the government to mandate no new gasoline cars by 2035. No more poor people working for McDonald's or any fast food chain? Can there be chargers in all apartments? Tesla is a status symbol only. I used to dream of owning a new car, but it was no big deal once I achieved the dream.

· Registered
3 Posts
We're a Toyota family and have been on the waiting list for a Sienna since October. Our experience with the Toyota buying experience has been worse than terrible. Dealerships constantly switching stories, passed between sales guy to sales guy and forced options we simply don't want. The latest is the gulf states paint protection then the dealer paint protection mark up on the same vehicle. Not to mention the mudguards, roof rails and rear entertainment system etc. etc. It's Nuts!

It looks as though Tesla came down below the EV tax credit on some models. A Model 3 performance after the credit is now $47k. My wife and I are about to place the order online for the Tesla and cancel the Toyota. We really wanted the Sienna but are running out of patience with the whole process.

The crazy thing is that we can order the Tesla from home, without the dealership slime and have the Tesla delivered first week in Feb 2023.

Decisions, decisions. One thing I know is if the Toyota dealership try anything else from this point they can stick their van up their ***
Tesla service support after the sale is horrendous. They have higher than average defects according to owner reports to Consumer Reports. 7 of the top 10 worst cars for 2022 are EVs.

· Registered
148 Posts
You need to find a different Toyota dealership. Also, you need to complain to Toyota corporate about how they're treating you. Toyota corporate is hugely invested in customer satisfaction. After all, they literally replaced entire frames on trucks, and entire 2.4l engines that burn oil in the Camry, even long outside of warranty. Someone there would be invested in what you have to say about this particular dealership.

It's your money, but if it were mine it wouldn't be spent on a Tesla. They ride like trash, do not reach their advertised range (In fact, they're under investigation by the Federal trade commission for that very reason) and build quality is comically bad. Now, the Sienna isn't much better, but at least you have a strong, established dealer network, rather than service centers, which could be several states away. The problem with owners getting their Teslas serviced has gotten so bad the GM, of all companies, has stepped in and offered to service Teslas at their dealerships. They've even invested in charging infrastructure and technician training to work on them.

· Registered
56 Posts
It is nuts on what some dealers are doing. It is frustrating.

Waiting since October. Long wait times. Ususally 1 year min.
People are really waiting a year? This is nuts. One benefit of the Sienna is the quality. We are going on 13 years on ours with 210K miles. We are looking at a new one, but aren't gonna play this waiting and bidding game. Ours still runs fine. It's a solid built vehicle, which is why we bought it.

· Registered
1998 Toyota Sienna XLE
31 Posts
I am in a similar situation, waiting since Aug 22. Have a down-payment on a Highland XLE hybrid or Sienna XLE, dealer allowed multiple vehicles under one deposit. Currently driving a 98 Sienna XLE until new vehicle is chosen. Already sold a much newer Honda since two vehicles no longer needed. We are retired and main requirement for new vehicle is road trip travel, (awd) snow and off pavement for camping for two with dog. Liked the hybrid ability to maintain HVAC while parked, for leaving the dog alone and occasional in vehicle sleeping. Really wanted the 1500w inverter option, but would need to go up to next trim for this. Was offered a Sienna early January, that was available from other waitlist dropping, but ruled it out because of antiquated infotainment still in 23, maybe next year Sienna will get updated to Toyotas new system. Later offered Highlander but passed on it, wanting to see the details on Grand Highlander at Chicago introduction and maybe the new Tacoma soon. I may as well wait a bit longer, plus rather pay MSRP on a new model vs a model that should be getting discounted.
Now with the model Y price rollback and tax credit, makes no sense to buy a Toyota hybrid for similar price. Purchase price about the same and EV much less maintenance and operating cost. Tesla EVs are looking to outlive hybrids, Tesla batteries are lasting twice the Toyota hybrid batteries. I have done most all maintenance on past vehicles and it would be great to cut out oil changes and the many other things ICE require.

Went into Tesla center for first time last week and it was first time vehicle shopping was a true pleasure. Showroom cars to look at and ask questions without a Sales person lingering and asking questions instead of being able to answer product questions. Also had vehicles ready to test drive, at least 3 and Y that we looked at. For the first time felt Toyota and Honda are truly behind, as are all legacy brands. Tipping point for EVs could very well be by 2030, certainly will be interesting times.
Toyota dealers are likely to be overflowing in the higher priced models by Spring.
Regarding the model 3, apparently a big update in coming likely 24, expect structural castings, hardware 4 electronics, and slight styling. Though if you can't wait, the current version is really well dialed in and well made.

BTW, overall happy with my past Toyota's, 80 Celica (used), 85 pickup, 90 Camry, 96 Camry, 98 Sienna.

· Registered
2008 Highlander, 2011 Sienna Limited, 2014 Highlander Limited
1 Posts
We have been on the Sienna 'list' for nearly a year with our long time dealer -- we own 2 Highlanders and the Sienna. Looked around the region during the year and was surprised that so many dealerships were demanding $$ over MSRP and loading the vehicles with unwanted options. We acted like responsible consumers and traded one of the Highlanders for a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee L - Overland.. Gotta admit I'm impressed with quality and technology and not one problem in the 7,000+ miles. Buying experience was positive (below MSRP) and more than willing to actually order a vehicle for respectable delivery date with promo incentives. Never thought I'd leave Toyota but ....

· Registered
1 Posts

I have 3 Toyota. Last one is 1.5 year ago for 2021 Camry and went in for maintenance and look around cars dealer had. They want 14k over msrp on a truck and 8k more on TRD Camry. Only reason I got my last Toyota 1.5 year ago was cost vs Tesla was $$$. Tesla would have costed me almost 40k more up front. $40k will buy me lifetime of gas on Camry so pass on Tesla. Soon I will need to replace anther car of mine..., Sienna. Looking at costs, model Y vs Sienna, model Y is cheaper to purchase and maintain by LONG SHOT. I was Toyota loyal for value they offered but that has went away. Very unfortunate but Toyota is something I can't justify anymore.

· Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,367 Posts
I have 3 Toyota. Last one is 1.5 year ago for 2021 Camry and went in for maintenance and look around cars dealer had. They want 14k over msrp on a truck and 8k more on TRD Camry. Only reason I got my last Toyota 1.5 year ago was cost vs Tesla was $$$. Tesla would have costed me almost 40k more up front. $40k will buy me lifetime of gas on Camry so pass on Tesla. Soon I will need to replace anther car of mine..., Sienna. Looking at costs, model Y vs Sienna, model Y is cheaper to purchase and maintain by LONG SHOT. I was Toyota loyal for value they offered but that has went away. Very unfortunate but Toyota is something I can't justify anymore.
How many people are you going to have in the back of Sienna or Model Y?

Regardless, if people who are going to sit in the back are allowed to make a choice, I think 9 out of 10 would pick Sienna. You can literally walk inside Sienna (a bit hunched over). Try that inside of any other medium-large SUV.

· Registered
22 Sienna XLE+ FWD, 22 Tesla Model Y LR
128 Posts
I forgot about Toyota's sudden acceleration problem from the late 2000's which DOT ruled was due to stuck carpet mats and the ever present problem of stepping on the wrong pedal. Toyota settled for $1.2 billion.

Toyota more recently instituted programming to override pedal misapplication. Sorry, your freedom to plow into a farmers market has been curtailed.
If you look at the Sienna maintenance schedule, every 5000 miles is listed prominently: "check floor mats!"

· Registered
128 Posts
Toyota are good vehicles with good quality control. Like Honda, they also have a few issues that one can live with. Before buying EVs, be prepared for the future cost of replacing the batteries. Can cost you an arm and a leg. Wishful thinking for the government to mandate no new gasoline cars by 2035. No more poor people working for McDonald's or any fast food chain? Can there be chargers in all apartments? Tesla is a status symbol only. I used to dream of owning a new car, but it was no big deal once I achieved the dream.
The existing stock of used ICE cars won't disappear overnight when 2035 arrives. Poor people will still have plenty of cheap ICE cars to choose from. We have a Tesla Y in addition to the Sienna. Mine has been problem free for the 1 year I've had it. Other than plugging in the charger every few days, I just drive it. I do think the hardest part of EV ownership is having access to a charger. If you drive 50 miles or less each day, charging overnight on 110V can put you back to "full tank" each morning. I have a 240V charger in the garage so it's super convenient. It's probably hardest for apartment dwellers to do this.

· Registered
4 Posts
Recently spoke to an EV owner in store parking lot. He related he loved the car hated the availability of chargers. Like most things the infrastructure in rural America just doesn’t exist for EVs. It’s hard enough to get a phone signal in some places forget finding a car charger.

· Registered
58 Posts
For those still on the fence leaning towards leaving Toyota would probably be doing a nice favor for someone that’s behind them on the waitlist. Not like Toyota is going to miss a sale here, and we can probably use more market share going towards non gas powered cars.

· Registered
28 Posts
Our 22 XSE AWD Sienna is my 3rd new Toyota and so far has been the worst in terms of initial quality. Picked it up just under a year ago now and the squeaks, creaks, groans abound. Just getting it back from the dealer again trying to chase a new rattle that turned out to be a bracket under the hood that wasn't tightened to spec from the factory. Toyota quality/longevity has been in decline for a while. Just look at the RAV4 recalls or the Tacoma frame rot.

I also have purchased two new Tesla's and both have had quality control issues as well (rattles, panel alignment, paint, and missing fasteners). I currently daily drive a Model Y, but the Sienna is absolutely the roundtrip and family ride. They're two completely different vehicle segments and I love them both for what they do well. But I don't think you can even reasonably compare a Model Y and a Sienna. The Sienna is far more practical for a family and offers a smoother ride and a luxurious amount of legroom and cargo space.

That said I would absolutely sell either car for a 300+ real world electric range Sienna if it were an option. For now I just have to wait on Toyota to stop dragging their feet on BEVs or stop teasing me on the idea of a Sienna Prime...

· Registered
190 Posts

1. if you can put up with the lousy assembly quality and tons of rattles. Go for it

2. if you like to replace your rear small windows go ahead

3. If you don’t need the room to ahead

4. If you are lead foot like me-the realistic range is below 200.

I see no benefit of model 3 compare to sienna. Much different purpose

· Registered
53 Posts
Ignoring the part where I'm not sure how one can go from waiting on a Sienna ( A vehicle you wait on for usually mid-large family needs ) to a little Model 3.. I can at least say as far as EVs go. If this was like 2015, sure I'd go for the Tesla but now? Hell no... That day when other, far more established, more experienced manufacturers caught up and started getting their products on the market is already here.

Teslas already been caught up to and in some cases already surpassed on the software/automation side and far as build quality, designs go they have been absolutely blown away. People like to make fun of Toyota for their usually bare bones, plain interiors but holy cow Tesla takes it to a whole other level. Comparing the Model Ys interior to something like the inside of the new Cadillac Lyriq is hilarious.

The only thing Tesla still had going for it was it's super charger network but unless you need to travel 100s of miles a day for some reason you'll just be charging up at home in the garage anyhow and it's not like you can't still use that super charger network if you need to.. may need the adapter in some cases.

Nope. If I'm in the market for an EV crossover right now it's going to be the new LYRIQ, Lincoln Star or I'd even look at that KIA Niro before the Model Y. If I'm wanting a car it would easily be something like the EV6 or Ioniq 5 way, way before I would ever consider a Model 3 but that's me.

· Registered
128 Posts
Ignoring the part where I'm not sure how one can go from waiting on a Sienna ( A vehicle you wait on for usually mid-large family needs ) to a little Model 3.. I can at least say as far as EVs go. If this was like 2015, sure I'd go for the Tesla but now? Hell no... That day when other, far more established, more experienced manufacturers caught up and started getting their products on the market is already here.

Teslas already been caught up to and in some cases already surpassed on the software/automation side and far as build quality, designs go they have been absolutely blown away. People like to make fun of Toyota for their usually bare bones, plain interiors but holy cow Tesla takes it to a whole other level. Comparing the Model Ys interior to something like the inside of the new Cadillac Lyriq is hilarious.

The only thing Tesla still had going for it was it's super charger network but unless you need to travel 100s of miles a day for some reason you'll just be charging up at home in the garage anyhow and it's not like you can't still use that super charger network if you need to.. may need the adapter in some cases.

Nope. If I'm in the market for an EV crossover right now it's going to be the new LYRIQ, Lincoln Star or I'd even look at that KIA Niro before the Model Y. If I'm wanting a car it would easily be something like the EV6 or Ioniq 5 way, way before I would ever consider a Model 3 but that's me.
I own both a 2022 Sienna XLE and a 2022 Model Y. I think the Y's interior is more premium than the Sienna. The dash and doors are mostly soft touch and alcantara. The center console doors and latches feel substantial and well built. On my Sienna, the entire dash is hard plastic and feels cheap to the touch. The Y doesn't feel cheap. Both cars have the fake leather seats but the Y's seats are softer and nicer and more comfy than the Sienna. The Y's interior is indeed polarizing but in pictures it doesn't come across that they actually did use nicer materials. At the $53k I paid, the Y feels mostly "appropriate" when it comes to interior quality, albeit it's missing a few key features like ventilated seats and HUD. However, at the previous $67k price point, it's not "fancy" enough.

Personally for me, I decided on the Y vs. other EVs because Tesla has what I believe to be the most reliable EV drivetrain and batteries. They've been doing this for 10+ years. All the other EV brands are new and have no proven track record. Even with build quality, my Y has no issues and the panel gaps seem normal. My Sienna has bigger panel gaps around the rear hatch than the Y's rear hatch. Keep in mind that all the Tesla models are very different cars in terms of interior and engineering than when they first debuted, even though the exteriors look 99% identical. They are obviously not using resources for exterior refreshes, which is good and bad. It's good for existing owners as their cars don't look outdated.

All that being said, I don't see how OP can compare the Sienna to a Model 3 or Y. The Sienna is so much larger and has more passenger space to spread out. We take our Sienna when driving anywhere with the family.

· Registered
190 Posts
I own both a 2022 Sienna XLE and a 2022 Model Y. I think the Y's interior is more premium than the Sienna. The dash and doors are mostly soft touch and alcantara. The center console doors and latches feel substantial and well built. On my Sienna, the entire dash is hard plastic and feels cheap to the touch. The Y doesn't feel cheap. Both cars have the fake leather seats but the Y's seats are softer and nicer and more comfy than the Sienna. The Y's interior is indeed polarizing but in pictures it doesn't come across that they actually did use nicer materials. At the $53k I paid, the Y feels mostly "appropriate" when it comes to interior quality, albeit it's missing a few key features like ventilated seats and HUD. However, at the previous $67k price point, it's not "fancy" enough.

Personally for me, I decided on the Y vs. other EVs because Tesla has what I believe to be the most reliable EV drivetrain and batteries. They've been doing this for 10+ years. All the other EV brands are new and have no proven track record. Even with build quality, my Y has no issues and the panel gaps seem normal. My Sienna has bigger panel gaps around the rear hatch than the Y's rear hatch. Keep in mind that all the Tesla models are very different cars in terms of interior and engineering than when they first debuted, even though the exteriors look 99% identical. They are obviously not using resources for exterior refreshes, which is good and bad. It's good for existing owners as their cars don't look outdated.

All that being said, I don't see how OP can compare the Sienna to a Model 3 or Y. The Sienna is so much larger and has more passenger space to spread out. We take our Sienna when driving anywhere with the family.
1. I really have to call BS here. While sienna fit and finish isn’t great. Tesla is far worse.

2. Tesla has been doing this 10 years still can’t assemble a car correctly without mis-align panel or door panel still falling off at delivery center. Even a 8 month old manufacturing factory Lucid has way better assembly quality and control. My air grand touring although cost more than a plaid and still buggy. But quality is way above any Tesla

Tesla did a lot of cost cutting too. That the 15.4” screen in model 3- go buy one from eBay and take it apart see what grade of panel they use.

Their self driving has been biggest lie (I have been working in this field for over 7 years).

Its pathetic and total lack of respect for human life.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts