Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm currently in the market for a 3rd gen Sienna. I don't need AWD, but it seems they are a couple thousand cheaper than the FWD model in my area. However, I've already heard horror stories about the amount of miles you can get on the AWD version of the 2nd gen. Is there a huge difference in tire lifespan on the 3rd gens?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
412 Posts
I don't have enough experience with my Gen3 AWD to give you a longevity number, but I can say for sure that I had my Gen2 '05 LE AWD for almost 11 years and 188,000 miles.

When I got my '05 in 2010, it already had replacement tires on it that were NOT Run-flats. I don't remember just how long I used those tires before replacing them with Michelins. Ran those Michelins for well over 60,000, maybe 70,000 miles before replacing them with more Michelins. The first model had been discontinued, the new replacements were Defenders. They were still on the van and looking good when I traded in for my '18 earlier this year.

I think most of the tire life complaints you are probably hearing are based on the run-flat tires. Not only do they have limited life, they are rather rough-riding the whole time because they need stiffer sidewalls to support the weight in the event of a deflation. If you don't mind having a better ride and getting better tire life, ditch the run-flats and get some real tires.

One question that will be brought up is "what about a spare?" Good question, but over the last 40 years or so, the only time I have needed a spare was for the trailer I was towing. Yes, have had to have a plug or two installed, but have never been stranded on the road, in need of a spare tire.

By the way, I also got Michelin Defenders for my wife's '02 RAV4 and they have also found their way onto my '18 XLE AWD when the original run-flats were basically worn out at 29,000 miles.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have seen many posts about the Run flats only getting 25 to 30K miles. And yes, they are stiffer and make more road noise. I have a tire plug kit, can of Fix a Flat and a small cheap compressor. I recently added a compact spare because we get away from city areas often and not want the reduced range of the run flats when they go partially flat.

I will be replacing ours with Michelin Cross Climate 2 because I want better wet and snow traction and less road noise.

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
412 Posts
I will be replacing ours with Michelin Cross Climate 2 because I want better wet and snow traction and less road noise.
Depending on where you live and drive, consider the Defenders, instead. I have recently seen some 'less than favorable' reviews of the Cross Climates, have not seen anything negative on the Defenders.

·
Registered
‘15 XLE AWD
49 Posts
Don’t have insight on tire wear yet (tho’ I will say the tires mine came with had bald inside shoulders), I just wanna know where AWD vans sell cheaper!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Agree with folks here that most of the tire wear complaints had to do with the original Bridgestone Turanzo run flats (had them on my 2012 AWD) which were simply horrible, horrible tires. 25K-30K was all you'd get. Traction was so bad it was dangerous.

Toyota switched to the Bridgestone Drive Guard, which are much, much better, but still no where the mileage you'd get compared to something like Goodyear Assurance Weatheready or Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus II. After the Turanza RFT went out, I switched to Goodyear Assurance (Tripleguard at the time) and it still had 6/32 left after 80K miles.

Because the van is so heavy (especially AWD), it's crucial to have near-perfect pressure...36psi. Over-inflate and you will have have low spots in the middle. Under-inflate and the shoulders will go bald first.

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
412 Posts
Because the van is so heavy (especially AWD), it's crucial to have near-perfect pressure...36psi. Over-inflate and you will have have low spots in the middle. Under-inflate and the shoulders will go bald first.
I will respectfully disagree with that recommendation. On virtually all of the vehicles I have driven over the last 30 years, I have had the shoulders of the tires wear out before the centers when using the stock (recommended) inflation pressures. When I added 4 or 5 psi, the wear evened out and the tires lasted longer. I could understand that if I was racing around corners all the time, but I don't. Bottom line (for ME), I run mine at 40 psi.

·
Registered
2009 le awd
235 Posts
40 psi in some mastercrafts I have wore perfectly even for me.
I got about 40000 out of some runflats before I put these on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts