Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tire pressure light on the dash of my 2004 XLE AWD just started flashing. Along with it, the ABS and VSC lights came on.

The tires are all good pressure, and the light is flashing, not solid like it's been when there's been a tire pressure in the past. I assume this means there's an issue with one of the tire pressure monitors, so I used an OBDII app, but it's saying there are no errors.

How do I find out if the problem is indeed a wheel speed sensor? And if so, which one is defective?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Xle comes with TPMS units in the wheels? My 06 LE is a passive system. If the xle has a unit in the wheel some auto stores can check them individually .The batteries in those sensors are usually good for 10 years. I have an Autel brand tpms reader that I use for my other vehicles. If you are a costco member they will test and install one . I find their price to be reasonable.

·
Registered
444 Posts
No sensors in our Limited. I believe OP understands this as asked about "speed sensors".

Had some kind of error when we had 3 runflats and 1 non-flat. It was many many years ago and I don't recall if it was flashing or solid.

Best bet is to get one of those cheap Techstream clones and pull the codes.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
There are no TPM sensors in the wheels of the Sienna prior to 2007. 2006 and prior used the ABS brake wheel speed sensors to calculate tire pressure differential. If one is bad, it would likely show up as an ABS issue (brake light solid on) as well.

Did you follow the instructions for the reset button on/under the dash?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no TPM sensors in the wheels of the Sienna prior to 2007. 2006 and prior used the ABS brake wheel speed sensors to calculate tire pressure differential. If one is bad, it would likely show up as an ABS issue (brake light solid on) as well.

Did you follow the instructions for the reset button on/under the dash?
Yes, I tried the reset right when it happened, but the tire pressure light continued to blink.

ABS and VSC lights came on at the same time. Since the 2004s use wheel speed for tire pressure, ABS, and VSC, I'm almost positive it's a wheel speed sensor. The question is, which one? It's not that difficult to replace, but since my OBDII program doesn't show an error, I have no idea which sensor is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an update, I took a long trip yesterday, and after about 15 minutes the tire pressure, ABS, and VSC lights all turned off. I used the cruise control for an hour, stopped using it, and a while later noticed the lights were back on. The next time I tried to use the cruise, the cruise error light came on and it wouldn't work.

All this leads me to believe it's a wheel speed sensor, but it would be nice to figure out which one it is before I start pulling them all at random.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't know all the years, for sure. My 2009 a couple years ago, in Northern Mexico, with unbalanced tires, suddenly the ABS and VSC lights came on. Scotty Kilmer had a video on this. The traction control has to be calibrated at dead center, if it detects it is not, the VSC light and ABS light comes on. Kilmer gave a method to calibrate it, but it did not work for me, so I just drive it. These newer systems are very complicated and information is hard to find.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was able to purchase repair manuals for our ‘99 GS400 and ‘04 Sienna from Toyota Materials Distribution a long long time ago. I’m not sure if they still sell it, but www.helminc.com has taken some of the duties. There is a way to tediously download the manual from Toyota TIS. It used to be $15 for two days but now it is $20 for two days:

And instructions how to download/print to .pdf each document one by one:

I don’t have a OBDII dongle. I ended up buying a Mongoose Pro. I can purchase two day access to the most current Techstream software for $65 if I need to diagnose something with the tool. There are also hack copies out there. The PriusChat Forum has a lot of people going that route...

From what I’ve gleaned you’re gonna need to find PIDs for the speed sensor outputs and watch them while driving to figure out if/which one is failing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts