Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 LE
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda lost faith in my X-Ice tires after slipping in rain lol. Now I am thinking of buying tire stocks for snow season. I have one concern. Can you drive the Sienna at highway speeds with socks on? Highway rides are what make me my most money. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Pretty sure can't drive at high speeds with socks but wait for confirmation from others.

Would suggest getting all weather tires like Cross Climate 2 or General All Weather.

One of our vehicle uses WeatherGrips which have been fantastic year round.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Playing the devil's advocate: Could it simply be a case of driving too fast for the conditions?

Bridgestone Blizzaks come up the best in wet wx performance in this fairly exhaustive test. I like this type of testing because the driver doesn't know what tire is being tested.

Handling:

Braking:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I use AutoSocks when they are required in the mountains here, they have a 30-35mph max speed. Pretty much all traction devices do.

Snow tires are NOT Wet Weather tires. I also swap to snow tires in the winter for all the mountain driving I do and they perform notably worse on the 50F wet seattle roads than my all-season/summer tires do. There is no magical "do it all" tire, you end up having to optimize for the most important thing at the current moment.

·
Registered
2021 LE
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use AutoSocks when they are required in the mountains here, they have a 30-35mph max speed. Pretty much all traction devices do.

Snow tires are NOT Wet Weather tires. I also swap to snow tires in the winter for all the mountain driving I do and they perform notably worse on the 50F wet seattle roads than my all-season/summer tires do. There is no magical "do it all" tire, you end up having to optimize for the most important thing at the current moment.
So true, my X-Ice tires are doing pretty bad in wet Seattle roads. But I am looking forward to the snow this year

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I don't know, I will check it tomorrow. So in case I keep driving them in the summer, in the worst case scenario they could blow up?
They will not 'blow up' Maintain proper pressure is key. If you run them in the summer they will wear out premature as they are not designed for warm climates.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Oh yeah winter tires wear FAST, especially on hot dry roads. I got a set of X-Ice tires mounted on 17" rims from TireRack and I just DIY swap them every spring/fall. I get my tire rotation as part of that and both sets of tires last A LOT longer as a result.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts