Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2011 FWD LE. Earlier today, I was looking at the tires thinking wow they are really low tread and was thinking I just put on a set two years ago. I went back and checked my maintenance file and found the following:

Firestone OEMs - 0 to 52k miles, 52k miles on the set
General Altimax RT 43 - 52k to 103k miles, 51k miles on the site
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia, 103k to 134k miles, 31k on the set

I haven't replaced the Bridgestones but probably will before the snow flies in a few months. I thought a set of SUV highway tires would have much better tread life than what I'm getting. My tires have consistently been rotated every 7500 miles since the day we brought the van home new.

Is it unreasonable to think I should be getting 60k out of a set of tires on these vans? Any suggestions for a particular tire that will last with the next set?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't buy Falken tires. Use the tread wear number on the tire to compare.
PS I just look at my tread wear number. 780. Probably old age will get them first.
PSS Michelin Defenders looks like they'll last (I've never used).

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Is it unreasonable to think I should be getting 60k out of a set of tires on these vans?
Yes, that seems unreasonable. I would be thrilled to get 30,000 miles from a set of all 18" season tires in 3-season use on our Sienna. I'm at 85,xxx miles and am on my 2nd set of all season tires in 3-season use and my 2nd set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 for Winter use. My first set of Blizzaks lasted about 15,000 miles and three 5,000 mile winters before they were worn to 5/32" which is when they have lost their sticky tread layer. My current Michelin Premier all-season tires will just barely make it to November when I put on my snow wheels/tires I'll be buying my 3rd set of all-season tires for the Sienna before next Spring and my 3rd set of Bridgestone Blizzaks before Winter of 2020 starts. That means I will have purchased 3 sets of all season tires and 3 sets of Winter tires by the time I get to six years of ownership and before 100,000 miles not counting the several tires I've replaced due to them being ruined by road debris.

It could be worse. I've had high performance Z/W/Y speed rated summer tires wear out on other cars before 10,000 miles. I regard tire mileage warranties as fantasy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is it unreasonable to think I should be getting 60k out of a set of tires on these vans? Any suggestions for a particular tire that will last with the next set?
60k miles? Not possible. BUT, you should be making use of the manufacturer’s thread life warranty.

I had a set of Michelin Defender XT’s (the XT is the Costco version) on my 2008 FWD XLE. They lasted about 53k. Costco honored the 90k warranty and I got a replacement set for less than 60% of the cost of a new set.

Michelin does not make a Defender in the proper size for my 2017 AWD XLE, and I wasn’t going to put the Defender LTX tires on (they definitely look like truck tires and only have a 70k warranty). Therefore, I’m on a set of Conti TrueContact Tour tires with an 80k warranty and better review ratings, so we’ll see how they last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I regard tire mileage warranties as fantasy.
You are using the wrong metric for tire mileage warranties then.

Sure, it is a fool’s errand to think that a tire will last the full warranty mileage, especially for minivans. But that isn’t the point.

The point is that the replacement set is prorated in cost as long as you didn’t do something out of the norm (i.e., never get an alignment or didn’t follow the rotation policy). Most sellers limit the new set to the same tire make/model as the old set.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
60k miles? Not possible. BUT, you should be making use of the manufacturer’s thread life warranty.
The problem with getting tires replaced under tread wear warranties is the requirement that the tires be worn down to 2/32" or less of tread depth before pro-rated replacement will be discussed. I could do that if I drove only in dry desert conditions but too often I find myself driving in torrential rainstorms in which such low tread depth is extremely unsafe. That's why I regard tread wear warranties as a scam.

To further complicate matters, a full set of tires has often not made it to the end of their useful lives without at least one of them being ruined by road debris. I'm on a "roll" this year having had three all-season Michelin Premier tires on the Sienna ruined from being punctured by nails/bolts near the tire shoulders. I received compensation for all three ruined tires under the road hazard warranty but now I'm riding on tires with widely varying tread depths with the resulting potential safety issues. I'll be replacing all four all-season tires including the ones that still have acceptable tread depth (more than 4/32") to get a matched set after I mount my winter wheels/tires in November.

Yeah, I'm more cautious that most people.

Speaking of torrential rain, we just had another torrential rainstorm this morning - weird for Kansas in August - and more heavy rain is expected later today. You could say it's been raining "cats and dogs" all year. Here is a photo of one of those cats taken by my next door neighbor in his backyard last Thursday.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just to add some data points... I got less than 30k out of the factory tires, and the Continental TrueContact tires that I replaced them with are just about dead at 30k again. This is pretty consistent with the life I saw on the Odyssey van I had before the Sienna. Driving style has a lot to do with it I think.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on my Sienna when I got it. I do notice that most/all Siennas have more wear to the edges of the tires than in the middle even running a higher PSI in them. This is normal IMHO.

Personally I would like a nice square edged tire for my replacement next time. Keep in mind that the treadwear number is set by the manufacture not by the government.

Also another note. When was the tire made? There is a 4 digit code on the tire. EX. (1318) This would be made the 13th week of 2018. This is important. Most tires will have a shelf life of 5 years. Make sure you have fresh tires. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nothing but happiness with my Michelin Defenders, 2011 FWD XLE. On my 2nd set, found them cheapest at the dealership oddly enough

I extend the rotation schedule visually rather than going by the odometer. IOW I rotate maybe 2-3x during the lifecycle. Even wear, quiet ride and above adequate performance with various weather year round (Ohio). I don’t carry much weight nor haul and our fine state is pretty flat most places, so those factor in I’m sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't buy Falken tires. Use the tread wear number on the tire to compare.
PS I just look at my tread wear number. 780. Probably old age will get them first.
PSS Michelin Defenders looks like they'll last (I've never used).
Michelin defender tires are the best.
I’ve had it for more than four years and have been driving to North Carolina Nd New York and Key West from Columbus and back. I still have very pretty decent treads on them.
I always have them balanced and rotated almost every two thousand miles. Bought mine from sams Club and they give free balance and rotation till the life of your tires!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback. I had initially gotten my hopes up after reading these posts as I had forgotten about the tread life warranty but as someone pointed out, you need to be down to 2/32 for a replacement. Winter driving season starts right around Thanksgiving and I think it's not responsible to be driving on anything in winter with less than 4-5/32s of tread.

Maybe I will need to check out the Michelin Defenders next time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2011 FWD LE. Earlier today, I was looking at the tires thinking wow they are really low tread and was thinking I just put on a set two years ago. I went back and checked my maintenance file and found the following:

I haven't replaced the Bridgestones but probably will before the snow flies in a few months. I thought a set of SUV highway tires would have much better tread life than what I'm getting. My tires have consistently been rotated every 7500 miles since the day we brought the van home new.

We have a 2008 Toyota Sienna FWD Limited with 17 inch tires. I purchased Continental True Contact 225 /60 R17 99H SL Tires in fall of 2016 at Discount Tire. I plan to replace them before winter. I currently have 55K miles on them and there is still about 1/8 in of tread left. These have 800 Treadwear rating. They have worked well for us in all weather conditions. We live in the Chicagoland area. https://www.continentaltire.com/product/truecontact-22560r17-99h

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have used Bridgstone and Michlen.My vote is for Michlen I drive a 2005 SIENNA LE,used for work,baught NEW,has 145000 on the clock,used in south FLORIDA,

·
Registered
10 Posts

I’ve owned a 2011 XLE FWD Sienna since new, and have 195k miles on it. Short tire life is one of just a few things I don’t like about this vehicle. I have figured out that you will maximize your tire mileage by rotating the tires every 5,000 miles, and rotate them front straight back to rear, and cross the rears over to opposite sides on the front. I am of the opinion the simple rear suspension on these does not keep the rear tires aligned well to the pavement, resulting in excessive wear on the outside edges. The last set of tires I purchased, the 5th set I have purchased, are Michelin Defender T+H’s. They are wearing better than any other tire I have tried, but I only have 15,000 miles on them. I did notice a significant improvement in ride and handling when I installed these over the previous set, which were Michelin Premier LTX’s. Here’s my specific tire experience: OEM tires: 44,000 miles (I think these were Firestone’s). 2nd Set: Michelin Primacy MXV4’s: 45,000 miles. 3rd set: Michelin Primacy MXV4’s: 46,000 miles. 4th set: Michelin Premier LTX’s: 45,000 miles. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check out the Nokian WR G4; they call it an All-Weather tire. It's a 51 psi tire, has a 104 load rating, extra sidewall reinforcing, and should be great in all conditions with the winter snowflake label on it..Not enough miles to say anything about that yet, but they do handle nicely on dry pavement. I have always run my tires 2-4 lbs higher pressure than the sticker, and fill them to the limit when hauling heavy loads. They handle better this way, and should last a little longer. But that being said, I have never gotten full mileage out of any set of tires, Michelins included. Michelins have usually been my standard choice, but the Nokians on a heavy-hauler Civic were great tires. Having had my bacon saved by excellent tires several times, I don't begrudge the money we have to spend on better-performing tires..

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do not select tires by mileage or long wear. I read multiple reviews and look for tires with the best traction, stopping and wet performance.

Looks like you live is a snow area. If you are not going to run separate tires for winter this is what I'm putting on next. They do better than all season, do well in snow and can stay on all year.

Toyo Celsius CUV -- offers year-round versatility plus winter-weather safety in one.
Mountain Snowflake qualified for severe snow conditions

·
Registered
47 Posts
I do not select tires by mileage or long wear. I read multiple reviews and look for tires with the best traction, stopping and wet performance.

Looks like you live is a snow area. If you are not going to run separate tires for winter this is what I'm putting on next. They do better than all season, do well in snow and can stay on all year.

Toyo Celsius CUV -- offers year-round versatility plus winter-weather safety in one.
Mountain Snowflake qualified for severe snow conditions
Similar here, I buy tires based on traction/dry grip, rain, and tire noise. Safety first.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Similar here, I buy tires based on traction/dry grip, rain, and tire noise. Safety first.
Of course, all factors need to be considered when selecting a tire, but would you ignore the mileage ratings / wear reviews for similarly performing tires? It can very much be a tie-breaker.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Of course, all factors need to be considered when selecting a tire, but would you ignore the mileage ratings / wear reviews for similarly performing tires? It can very much be a tie-breaker.

I take mileage ratings/ wear reviews with a grain of salt considering we all drive our vehicles differently, environment, how much driving, etc all into consideration...In the last 20 years, I've never driven any tires down...they all seem to crack even before I get to wear the tire treads down half way ranging from Goodyear, Falken, Firestone, Nitto, Michelin, Continental, etc to name a few.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts