Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Torklift Ecohitch finished product

99K views 211 replies 87 participants last post by  MasterAviator 
Just signed for a 2022 LE AWD to cart around our brood and tow a little fiberglass camper we have. Won’t have to worry about kick sensor because the LE doesn’t have it! Vehicle should be arriving in about a month, and trying to get a jump start on hitch/wiring harness install - thanks to all who shared in this thread. I don’t trust myself enough to deconstruct the rear end of the vehicle and install myself, so will plan for local shop to do the work. I’m trying to find all the materials that will be needed for the install so I can hit the ground running when I get the vehicle. I’m planning for the eco hitch because it looks so much better, is stainless steel and provides better ground clearance. I will need a 7-pin connector, which looks to be one of the trickier parts on this install. So far, my supply list includes:

Hitch
2021-2022 Toyota Sienna - ONLY trailer hitch that does NOT block kick sensor – with Stainless Steel receiver

OEM wiring harness (thanks Bmac13)

4-way to 7-way adapter
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wiring/CURT/C57672.html

Bracket
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/CURT/C57202.html

Does this look like a complete list?

I am concerned about where the bracket for the 7-way pin will be mounted and have yet to see a solution here.

I also have a P3 brake controller from my prior vehicle that I could transplant, but I’m a little concerned about installing it in a complex vehicle like the sienna and all the necessary wiring this will entail (I did it in my very analog Outback and the cruise stopped working and I couldn’t ever figure out how to fix it, I can only imagine what might happen in a new sienna!). Do any of y’all have experience with wired brake controllers in the gen 4 sienna and/or wireless brake controllers? I’d prefer to use my wired P3 since I’m used to it and already have it, but don’t want to have to mess with a bunch of wiring in the dash, so might be forced to use a wireless controller.

We can’t wait to take delivery and go on our first camping trip. Thanks for sharing/helping!

Agreed, that looks great. I live in Asheville, makes me wonder if I should make the drive to Atlanta to have it done! I have an appointment with the local U-haul here, they said they remove bumpers for hitch installs regularly, so hopefully not too hard…

I still haven’t seen anyone with a 7-way plug installed and where they mounted it…

Ecohitch installed!

Ended up having Tops and Trends in Fletcher, NC do it (they do a lot of after market work). Not sure how much the labor ended up being as we had them add heated seats and backup sensors at the same time (we have the LE and wife wanted them, but only way we could get AWD and 8-passenger), but it was not cheap. End result looks good I think though! Can’t wait to try towing the camper - will let you know how the mpg is affected.

View attachment 55956
View attachment 55957 View attachment 55956

4-way flat: https://www.etrailer.com/Custom_Fit_Vehicle_Wiring/Tekonsha/TK69FR.html

7-way round:

The above 7-way did not come with the wiring for the brake controller or battery, so they had to make the harness, didn’t sound too complicated, just running a wire to the battery and splicing into brake wire.

This 7-way should have everything to install a wired brake controller in the cabin and what I used on my prior vehicle with a Prodigy P3 B:

I ended up not hard wiring a brake controller this time and am instead going to try the Curt wireless controller to avoid all the wiring and mounting inside the cabin - I’ll let you know how it goes.

it appears they just mounted the 7-way plug to the underside of the bumper and it seems pretty secure.