Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I own a Canadian 13 Sienna base (V6 FWD). I cannot easily determine whether I have the tow prep package. No labels, etc.
Can I visually determine that?

Thanks,
Yury

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
For the U.S., the two prep package consisted of: "Engine oil cooler, heavy-duty radiator and fan". It was optional and seems to be rare on the 2013 U.S. spec base and LE Sienna and became standard on all U.S. Sienna grades for the 2014 model year.

The engine oil cooler is mounted on the "front" (side nearest the bumper) of the engine. The attached photo from fibber2 is for a gen 2 Sienna but the engine oil cooler is in the same place on the 2011+ Sienna.

I would think that Toyota customer service could tell you if you supply the VIN.

A transmission cooler is standard on the U.S. spec Sienna and not part of the tow prep package - don't know about the Canadian. The trans cooler is at the bottom of the radiator and the oil hoses run from it to the transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the info. Yes, the engine oil cooler is there, I can see everything as per the picture.
I also found a Canadian spec brochure for the year 13 and it simply states 3500 lb towing capacity for all V6 models. No asterisks or anything.
Tow prep. package is not mentioned at all.
4 cyl model gets a dash...I guess that drivetrain can barely move the van itself not to mention a ton and a half trailer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In the US Brochures for 2011-13, (not sure about 2014) the towing prep package is standard for SE, XLE and Limited. Optional for LE and base. I'm not sure if the Canadian specs differ.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ yes, they do...the towing capacity is simply listed as 3500 for all trims (except the ill-fated 4 cyl). Tow prep package is not even offered as an extra.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I read another thread which suggested 2015 AWD models (USA) might not have the oil cooler and thus the 3500lb tow rating.... and would then be rated to tow 1500lbs.

Just checked under the hood of my 2015 AWD LE purchased in N.C. yesterday...and there is clearly in place the Oil cooler housing and lines as helpfully illustrated in this thread.

I expected not to find it, but happy I did, especially since I was not aware of this issue until I had already purchased the vehicle. I would understand if the AWD hardware was not "tested" or rated for heavier towing....the GVWR difference alone certainly wouldn't account for a 2,000 pound difference...

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Good to see my powerpoint slide is still making the rounds!

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
My pleasure!

Hey, as my wife is getting serious about a new van, maybe you guys will get to teach me a few things!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m glad to have that diagram on the slide, we have been searching for info on if our 2008 Sienna CE has a tow prep package but just got conflicting info. We don’t have what’s in that picture so we may have to get it installed before we get a pop up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JUST FYI. I purchased a Toyota Sienna LE 2016 that was a REntal Vehicle or Fleet Van for Avis. NO TOW PACKAGE ON THESE!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
ust FYI Y'all. I purchased a 2016 LE Sienna thinking they all have the TOW PREP. They do not! Mine was originally a Fleet or Rental Van so they must of ordered a quantity of them without the tow package knowing they would sell thgem off at 65 or 70K miles. SO FRUSTRATING!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I have been using this link in my search for the right Sienna... pretty useful.https://www.toyota.com/owners/vehicle-specification
That is a very useful website but, from my experience, it can not be used to determine if a generation 3 Sienna has the tow prep package when it is standard equipment on a particular Sienna trim or when it is standard equipment on all Sienna in a particular model year. The VIN lookup shows only packages that are optional.

I just looked up every 2011 through 2013 Sienna currently on ebay motors and found only one that shows the tow prep package. Look up the following VIN to see how it is listed: 5TDKK3DC8BS152049

The tow prep package is not listed on the VIN lookup for my 2014 Sienna Limited FWD because it was standard equipment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know the thread is petering out, but I've now been hassling with toyota's customer service for three weeks trying to get a comprehensive list of those cars with the tow package... More when i have something to update, hopefully.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reached out to Toyota for my 2008 Toyota Sienna LE AWD 3.5L V6 and they told me that I didn't have any of the items. I am trying to figure out what I have and what I need any suggestions would be extremely helpful. I haven't been able to look at the photos, as the Sienna Chat Forums is having trouble with my login information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, hoping you might have an answer, 2014 Sienna AWD, I cant figure out if tow package was included. Asked the dealer that looked it up by vin and he didnt find anything suggesting tow package . I told him I saw that it may have been standard for 2014 and he would not commit to anything???

That is a very useful website but, from my experience, it can not be used to determine if a generation 3 Sienna has the tow prep package when it is standard equipment on a particular Sienna trim or when it is standard equipment on all Sienna in a particular model year. The VIN lookup shows only packages that are optional.

I just looked up every 2011 through 2013 Sienna currently on ebay motors and found only one that shows the tow prep package. Look up the following VIN to see how it is listed: 5TDKK3DC8BS152049

The tow prep package is not listed on the VIN lookup for my 2014 Sienna Limited FWD because it was standard equipment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, hoping you might have an answer, 2014 Sienna AWD, I cant figure out if tow package was included. Asked the dealer that looked it up by vin and he didnt find anything suggesting tow package . I told him I saw that it may have been standard for 2014 and he would not commit to anything???
I went through all of this when buying my van. The most conclusive thing I did was talk to the parts department - not service, or sales. Parts can pull up your vehicle by VIN and see if the oil cooler/ transmission cooler is there. I spent hours talking to service and sales departments at multiple dealerships ( who would base their answers on window sticker specs. I've got the original window sticker for my van and tow package isn't listed). It took a parts department person seconds to input my VIN and see that my van did indeed have the coolers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great to hear of towing success stories. We are getting set up to tow our recently purchased '83 13' Casita with our recently purchased '17 Sienna LE AWD. The trailer has been gutted of virtually every system over the years, so it should be a pretty light tow.

I have been trying to find out exactly what parts are in the Sienna Towing Package and have heard several conflicting lists. The local dealer parts guy refused to divulge any part numbers (Toyota policy), but he looked at his parts diagrams and said the Towing Package for my 2017 consists of a larger radiator ($310) and 180 Amp alternator. He had no idea if the larger radiator was a direct replacement. He said Toyota stopped installing receiver hitches because of approach angle liability problems. Although Toyota.com did sell a receiver hitch and 4-flat trailer connector kit, those are apparently not part of the Towing Package anyway. (And you can get a killer extra high capacity DrawTite hitch and Tekonsha wiring harness on etrailer.com for a lot less money.)

RockAuto and others list a CSF 3823 replacement radiator with expanded 1.25" core that is explicitly listed for Tow Package and non-Tow Package Siennas. I have one ordered... It appears to be a direct bolt-in. There does not appear to be different hoses for the towing radiator...

The Siennachat group has many detailed posts about upgrades of all kinds. High transmission fluid temps are an observed concern on this site, and may provide incentive to change ATF more often, and slow down in very hot weather. Aftermarket transmission coolers with thermostatic valves are a popular install, although having too low a fluid temperature is also possibly damaging. This may be why the transmission fluid cooler is water-cooled; to warm up the fluid in cold weather?

Speaking of slowing down, that's all we have to do to increase the safety margin for towing anything, and being easier on the car. Engine braking on the downgrades so we don't need the brakes at all, etc. The only penalty for slowing down is a slightly longer trip.

I mean, if we're reading on the road, we can get in an extra chapter before we hit camp.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts