Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towing capacity of all Canadian Siennas (2004-2010) is 3500lb

I felt there is a need to post this info again -- despite similar thread exists in Towing & Hauling forum. Canadian owners keep asking questions, which is an indication that previous thread is confusing.

You can check towing capacity of your Canadian Sienna if you look in the Owner's Manual or in the Electronic Brochure.
The answer is simple: Towing capacity of all Canadian Siennas (2004-2010) is 3500lb.

You do not need to know engine model ID or engine displacement of your Sienna,
you do not need to know model year, model or modification of your Sienna,
you do not need to know additional parts of towing package of your Sienna,
you do not need to search for additional parts in the engine compartment of your Sienna,
you not need to add or install any additional part in your Sienna,
you do not need to know whether towing package is installed in your Sienna,
you do not need to request an additional towing package (in fact, you did not have a choice) --

towing capacity of your Sienna and all Canadian Siennas (2004-2010) is 3500lb (1587 kg).

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Re: Towing Capacity of all Canadian Siennas (2004-2009) is 3500lb

Good idea for a summary. ::thumbsup!::

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

... I could be wrong because my post is based only on the Owner's Manuals and the Electronic Brochures...

Thus, if somebody knows more - please correct me. However, so far I've seen/read nothing, which would contradict those two sources...

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts

The owner's manual does clearly list two different towing capacities, with and without the towing package. The trick is to know that all Canadian second-generation Siennas are (according to Toyota Canada) equipped with this package. The net effect is that:
  • yes, all second-generation Siennas for Canada do have a maximum trailer weight of 3500 lb
  • the way to read the manual is to assume that you do have the towing package.

The manual's mention of the package, without any indication to Canadian buyers that they all get the package without purchasing it as an option, is the source of the confusion.

The brochure is not very helpful in this matter, as brochures routinely list capabilities for the best case, assuming optional equipment. In this case it is the real rating, but that is not a generally safe assumption.

Those Canadians who saved some money by buying a U.S. Sienna - you could have anything. I think that anyone who buys a used Sienna in Canada would be well advised to check whether it is a U.S. or Canadian spec unit.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes, you are right the Manuals for 2004 and 2005 years state:

Towing capacity(trailer weight + Vehicle without towing package Vehicle with towing package
cargo weight) kg (lb.) 907 (2000) 1587 (3500)

...but the Manuals for 2006 and 2007 years state only 1587kg /3500 lb. These Manuals are for both U.S.A. and Canada.

Since there is small probability that some owners of '04 and '05 have bought their Sienna without tow package, I will add a disclamer to the first post:
Owners of '04 and '05, if in doubt, -- please ask Toyota dealer to check your VIN number!
Dealer has access to the manufacturer database! It is your last resource...

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Original post was updated to account for 2010 model year info, which is "no change"!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone, we have an 07 ce awd, a great tow vehicle, we pull somewhat over the 3500# with no problem. We did add a good sized transmission cooler and was pleased to find that Toyota had added an engine oil cooler with the 3.5litre motor; it is a water to oil type, buried under the front exhaust manifold, you can just see the hoses going to it.
I understand that this was not fitted to all Siennas from 08, but became part of the towing package, it would be well worth having if you are pulling near max., maybe someone could check an 08/09 without the tow package to see if it is there? Regards Trevor

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Hey qcktvr,

I see this is your first post to siennachat.com. Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy the site. Why don't you post a pic of what you are towing in the towing and hauling thread... there is a discussion called "show us what you are towing". It is interesting for everyone to see!

regards,

shinesideup

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
No problem....
I'm not really adept at all this towing & hauling stuff. ;) ;D ;D 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi again, don't have any pics of the combination together, but will try and post one when we start camping in July, we pull a Trailcruiser 26RKS using a custom hitch, 1000# equalizer WDH and a prodigy brake controller, furthest trip was to S Carolina in 2007, no problems thro' the hills at all. Regards Trevor

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
qcktvr said:
I understand that this was not fitted to all Siennas from 08, but became part of the towing package, it would be well worth having if you are pulling near max., maybe someone could check an 08/09 without the tow package to see if it is there?
Since the package has never been optional for second-generation Siennas in Canada - the main point of this topic - it seems to me that the question would be just whether or not the oil cooler has been confirmed to appear on each year (2008, 2009, and soon 2010) here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok guys... wade in here.. 2008 sienna LE owner.. puchased right here in the lowemainland of BC Canada... I want o know exactly what I can and cant tow and what my specifc vehicle ratings are... what is the ebst wayt o get this .. I suspect from the VIN? I dont have the window sticker for the van .. pls advise and sorry if this has been coverred already somewhere..

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Door jamb sticker would be a start and gives you the manufacturer's rated capacities as reported to the relevant governing government agencies...

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
coogs said:
... I want to know exactly what I can and cant tow and what my specifc vehicle ratings are...
Accepting the basic premise of this thread - that every Canadian 2nd generation Sienna has the "towing package" ratings - the trailer weight limit is 3500 lb. That leaves the rest of the details...

coogs said:
what is the best way to get this .. I suspect from the VIN? I dont have the window sticker for the van ..
I don't know if Toyota window stickers are actually useful for this. As topspy said, the door jamb sticker provides numbers for the specific unit, including gross axle weight ratings and gross vehicle weight rating. The number which is (always) missing is the gross combination weight rating; that's given in the earlier manuals (e.g. 2004), but perhaps not in the current manual. Someone with a 2007 or newer Sienna should supply that number, or a reference to it; I don't know if Toyota Canada would be willing and able to provide the GCWR number if it is not in the manual, even with a VIN.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts