Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The towing capacity of the 2021 Sienna is rated "up to" 3500 lbs but only if equipped with the "towing prep package" which includes a heavy duty radiator and oil cooler. I'm not finding any such package in the options, though. I do see a hitch but there's no mention of the other two items in the towing prep package. Anybody know what's up? Those with the tow hitch, were the heavy duty radiator and oil cooler also included?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm wondering this as well. I haven't seen any Siennas with the tow hitch or a tow prep package. I've asked dealers about installing the tow hitch, which they said they can do. But they didn't seem to know if all Siennas came with the tow prep package, or if that was an added package.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I looked at this too and I don't think there is a real towing package available. The option seemed to be just a dealer installed option tow hitch. As I recall, the price was only about $200.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I looked at this too and I don't think there is a real towing package available. The option seemed to be just a dealer installed option tow hitch. As I recall, the price was only about $200.
Retail prices are $840 for the hitch receiver and wiring harness, $125 for the draw bar and $20 for the ball.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The price for the hitch is so high that it makes me wonder if it includes the heavy duty radiator, fan, and oil cooler; but Toyota forgot to mention it. I would never pay even half of what they're asking for just the hitch. Another possibility is that all Siennas have the towing prep package standard. I've heard that theory. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll have a look under the hood for the oil cooler. It should be at the base of the oil filter. I don't think I'd recognize a "heavy duty fan and radiator" from a standard one.

I wrote Toyota for some clarification and got an answer but the replier didn't understand my question and gave a nonsensical nonanswer. It's a shame we have to speculate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The price for the hitch is so high that it makes me wonder if it includes the heavy duty radiator, fan, and oil cooler; but Toyota forgot to mention it. I would never pay even half of what they're asking for just the hitch. Another possibility is that all Siennas have the towing prep package standard. I've heard that theory. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll have a look under the hood for the oil cooler. It should be at the base of the oil filter. I don't think I'd recognize a "heavy duty fan and radiator" from a standard one.

I wrote Toyota for some clarification and got an answer but the replier didn't understand my question and gave a nonsensical nonanswer. It's a shame we have to speculate.
According to 2021 Sienna Specifications - Toyota Canada, the towing prep package is standard

·
Registered
8 Posts

I've heard that rumor, too - that the tow prep package is standard in all. I've emailed a couple dealers about it and they haven't responded (I guess they don't know the answer).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd think it's standard as all trim levels claim 3,500lbs towing capacity even though the top two trims aren't eligible for the tow hitch option due to the liftgate sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Canada, I have the limited edition and was able to get the hitch installed and the dealer (even if the website did not allow me to select it).
It does deactivate the kick sensor.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
35 Posts
@ludwigwan you nailed it.

I have been looking at this for so, so long...

I just received email from Toyota confirming what you noted and what another person on this forum noted (another thread) - the TOWING PREP PKG cannot be ordered, it comes with all 2021 Siennas. We only order the hitch and wiring harness (and they disable or remove? the kick sensor).

*** EMAIL FROM TOYOTA TODAY ***
Thank you for your reply.

Per specifications, the towing prep package comes standard, from the factory, at all trim levels. Dealers are able to order the accessory hitch receiver and wiring harness.

You may view all available specifications on our website, including information on weights and capacities.

We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiries.

xxxxx
Toyota Brand Engagement Center

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
126 Posts
Summit Racing is now carrying the Curt hitch for the 2021 Sienna:

You can see the hitch on the Curt website: Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2" Receiver, Select Toyota Sienna
Based on the pics on the website, this hitch looks a lot better than the OEM one. The Toyota one looks like it protrudes more from the bumper. While not hidden, this one looks at least a little more low-profile! Plus installing it yourself doesn't look like a big deal at all, provided pics are really nice. I don't see anything about wiring though, would that be tough to do by yourself?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts