Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I see advantages/disadvantages to both. Can you explain your position a bit better?
More recent tire sealant kits have performed better, but there is one thing that will always be the case with any of these kits.

Your distance available to travel and speed are not on par with a spare tire (and definitely not a full-size spare). If this happens in a major city/town, then yes, you are probably a few miles away from a tire shop. However, apply this to a road trip and having to stop multiple times to check pressures, drive under a certain speed, greatly reduces your ability to actually get to the destination or tire shop.

Add in the other part of this equation... the puncture has to be one that can be sealed and there is no way to find that out until you start the process.

I've been there using a sealant kit to find out the puncture has rendered the sealant useless, with air not holding. So, when that happens, what is my recourse? I have to call AAA or a tow truck and sit there and wait.

Personally, I'd rather have a tool (spare tire in this case) that will guarantee me the ability to keep moving. A sealant kit has no guarantee, it may work in most cases, and then it may not and then you are stuck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't really see the speed and distance being defined as different between the sealant solution and the temp spare tire. I checked the owner's manual, but maybe i'm missing something?

One disadvantage w/ the spare tire option would be if I'm not w/ the vehicle when it needs to be changed out. Other drivers may be physically or uncomfortable doing this change out on the road side.

I'm on the fence w/ both. Originally, I was wanting the sealant repair kit in order to increase some storage space. The dealer had an incoming vehicle w/ the spare option, and I was fine w/ that. In the rare circumstance where there is a catastrophic tire issue, I'll be very thankful for that temp spare.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't really see the speed and distance being defined as different between the sealant solution and the temp spare tire. I checked the owner's manual, but maybe i'm missing something?

One disadvantage w/ the spare tire option would be if I'm not w/ the vehicle when it needs to be changed out. Other drivers may be physically or uncomfortable doing this change out on the road side.

I'm on the fence w/ both. Originally, I was wanting the sealant repair kit in order to increase some storage space. The dealer had an incoming vehicle w/ the spare option, and I was fine w/ that. In the rare circumstance where there is a catastrophic tire issue, I'll be very thankful for that temp spare.
Honestly, not being able to change a spare tire is not something that should be considered. It should be a skill everyone has who decides to drive a car, barring someone who physically can not perform the task. Because if changing out a spare tire is too much, understanding what tire sealant is doing and how well it's holding air pressure, I'd argue is also above their level of understanding.

Being roadside with a sealant kit that you need to stop again with, on another roadside is yet another reason most won't do the steps Toyota outlined above. They will do the first part, drive away and hope for the best.

Also, if you are talking about the time it takes to handle each task, I'm in the camp that says I can change the spare faster than you can get the sealant kit applied and I won't have to stop a second or third time.

Distance and speed do play a role in tire sealant kits if you never used one before. Depending on the puncture your time available to make it to a destination is determined by how well the sealant can hold the puncture at bay.

I've personally seen these kits fail at speed after a very short amount of time, for me, it comes down to a simple thing... do I want an actually proper tire under the car in the event of a flat or a punctured tire filled up with sealant?

I also do understand I am talking from a place or knowing how to do each, if you were unsure then at the very least I would have a backup roadside option to call (AAA) or the Toyota provided one. I will personally be on road trips when our Sienna arrives and I'm not risking a sealant kit when in the middle of the country.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Arguments against the spare tire are that you continually have to lug the weight of it and the tools (jack, wrenches, etc), at least 40lbs worth, even if you never use it. It continually takes up valuable space even if you never use it. If you use a space-saver tire, you've got to dig the tire out of it's space and inflate it periodically. How many do that? That 60psi pressure will decrease to an unusable or unsafe value in just a couple months. The car has to be jacked up to effect a repair and there may be no good or safe area to do it.

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arguments against the spare tire are that you continually have to lug the weight of it and the tools (jack, wrenches, etc), at least 40lbs worth, even if you never use it. It continually takes up valuable space even if you never use it. If you use a space-saver tire, you've got to dig the tire out of it's space and inflate it periodically. How many do that? That 60psi pressure will decrease to an unusable or unsafe value in just a couple months. The car has to be jacked up to effect a repair and there may be no good or safe area to do it.
It goes in the same space that would otherwise be occupied by the sealant kit. Also, you just have to pop the storage cover to check the pressure or inflate it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I guess until enough people have to deal with a flat, opinions will be opinions and maybe they will change their mind one way or another after fixing it one way or another. Report back after a flat repair and whether you wished you done it the other way or you are glad you got what you got to get you back on the road as safe as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts