Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am especially interested in the tow figures. The Sienna minivan should be capable of people and cargo moving prowess. I hope the new hybrid feature does not neuter its former 3500 Ibs cargo hauling ability, I cannot imagine how sluggish it would be if filled with 8 average size folks and their cargo and comes with the current Highlander Hybrid's 4-cylinder 185 horsepower gas engine. It needs to be equipped with a naturally aspirated V6 engine and have at least 300 combined horses.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 4 cylinder hybrid setup from the Highlander is troubling. It’s not speedy when you have a full compliment of passengers and a minivan is even more likely to be loaded up. Would they put in a 6 cylinder hybrid config for the Sienna? We won’t have to wait long to find out now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I imagine it's going to be like a tall Camry with a back with a lot of jagged edges and a face that looks like it wants to attack you. ;)

Have had two prior Odysseys including my current 2018, but I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing how this new Sienna looks and may make the jump next year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just watched the launch video. Specs of interest from the pressroom site (cut and paste):

243 total horsepower and a manufacturer-estimated 33 combined MPG fuel economy
two electric motors working in concert with the high-efficiency 2.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine.
Sienna has no plug
Selectable EV, NORMAL, ECO and SPORT driving modes
(optional) AWD called Electronic on-demand AWD. Instead of a heavy AWD transfer case and space-robbing driveshaft to the rear wheels, this AWD system uses a separate independent electric motor to power the rear wheels
(AWD) Torque distribution then varies with conditions, from 100:0 in constant-speed driving to 20:80 on slippery surfaces.
all versions of the 2021 Sienna are rated to tow up to 3,500 pounds.

Edit:
CNet is reporting that the transmission is a CVT. Official press release doesn't mention transmission either way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
second row seats not removable due to seat mounted thorax airbags. grows from 200.6 to 203.7L and 78.1 to 78.5W.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So same 243HP powertrain as new Hybrid Highlander and Rav4.

No mention of a higher powered 305HP PHEV prime version. Hopefully this will be in the future.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'm hoping Toyota only waits
1 year to introduce a 305hp Prime vesion and we will see it in the 2022 model year.

The 2021 Venza is only going to be available in LE, XLE and Limited trim levels so I'm wondering if they are planning on introducing the SE and XSE trims as Prime models next year like the upcoming 2021 Rav4 Prime which will only be available in SE and XSE trims.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Personally that things is one ugly van, the worst of all the other brands. Trying to hard to make it look like an SUV from the side its almost like the new Highlander on steroids. Also the center console with a shifter in a minivan, takes away from space just for looks of well.

No need to worry if it will come with a V6 gas only any longer as the look of it alone is a turn off to me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like a long Highlander but with the Sienna Grille. Glad we have a 2018, don't like the 2.5 4 cylinder and CVT transmission. Some inside changes look like a nice upgrade/change. We will be keeping our old school 2018 for a long time.

·
Registered
474 Posts
second row seats not removable due to seat mounted thorax airbags. grows from 200.6 to 203.7L and 78.1 to 78.5W.
Apparently you can't remove them nor can you fold them. Guess I will NOT be buying a gen4 Sienna unless/until that's addressed. A minivan is useless to me if it can't carry large cargo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Apparently you can't remove them nor can you fold them. Guess I will NOT be buying a gen4 Sienna unless/until that's addressed. A minivan is useless to me if it can't carry large cargo.

I would be very interested to know how much they market tested this van, did they clinic these ideas "more safety vs lack of flexibility in cargo hauling?" The MPG is great, but this thing is going to be a slug with a compliment of passengers and any kind of hill or passing situation. Gas prices are so low and likely to remain that way for awhile as the economy slowly crawls back, high mpg is going to be lower on the list for a lot of buyers. Like others, I hope that a higher horsepower "prime" model is introduced at some point (likely no sooner than a mid-cycle refresh in 2025 or 2026).

·
Registered
74 Posts

That is correct on the 2nd row seats, can't be removed due to the airbags in the side of the seat. Also if you have a child seat in the second row seats they can not slide up enough to enter the back row without removing the child seat.

Wondering what the payload will be for the new van, probably a lot less due to the extra weight in batteries? Maybe they don't want the 2nd row seats out so you can't load it too heavy. Personally can't see it towing the full 3500 lbs or a bit more like the current generation van.

We definitely will not be looking at the 4th gen Sienna. Unfortunately our 3rd gen will be our last Sienna, and we will be moving on to something else unless we can find a 2020 in the colour and trim we like as a back up to our 2017. Also I just picked up a 2020 Honda Ridgeline for myself to replace my 2018 that was written of a few months ago so maybe no need for another minivan unless the wife wants a 2020 just to have :cool:.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts