Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background we have owned Toyotas for years. Except for a 1992 Honda Accord and a !985 Honda Prelude we have been only Toyota.
That is until recently. My 2000 Sienna LE that I bought new and I was looking for a replacement. Sienna still running, starting to have a few problems but normal for this age van. Problems free for many years. I looked at Siennas and did not care for the open rails in the second row floor. My kids always track dirt from sports and I worried the dirt would get in those tracks. Third row for me was harder to open and close than the Odyssey. I ended up buying the Odyssey. I asked everyone I knew with Odysseys (new and old) if they liked them and if they had problems. Everyone said oh no problems ,they liked them. During the 2 months I have owned the 2014 Odyssey I have had check fuel cap twice then the check engine light came on. The Check Engine light was a left over code from the Evap leak. I always tightened down gas cap and that was pressure tested. Anyway , Honda first told me to ignore the check fuel cap light. Not until I got the check engine did they check code and clear it. I assume the problem has not been fixed and will get the Evap code or check gas cap again. There is a TSP on this. After purchasing this Honda I find the owners who I have asked before now say well we have had problems like changing rotors every year etc.! I have never changed rotors in my 2000 Sienna. Luckily I still have my Sienna I can drive while I leave my 2014 Odyssey in the shop. So, I just want to say be careful if you consider the Honda. Not the same quality as the Toyota. I already got a recall in the mail that they put the Odyssey emblem on the wrong side of the hatch! Really??! Because of the money I would lose trading this I am going to try to fix any problems under warranty that come up. Toyota next time....
Another thing if you go on the ODYCLUB . com website you see people talking about their Odysseys with all the problems but still love them. I am used to my cars being problem free. Also the moderate over there DVPATEL is very rude to people.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've been a member of this forum for a while and I own a 98 Sienna. I've owned it since 2006 and I've had to replace a few things on it in the past few years.

Every year I keep looking to possibly upgrade to a newer used Sienna, but after reading about failing power doors, steering rack leaks, VVti oil line failures, door weld issues, rad issues, I start to think that my 98 isn't that bad.

It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that the newer Sienna's have, but it's paid for, I've changed the timing belt 57,xxx KM ago and I have new shocks, struts and lower control arm bushings in it. I replaced the power steering pump this summer, a window switch, put in new calipers this spring and I've replaced some bulbs in ac control unit. The only thing that isn't properly working is the passenger side sliding door. There are only two small rust spots and she runs good. I do all of the maintenance myself when I can.

I don't think the newer Sienna and Odyssey have quality as good as the older models. The Odyssey quality leaves something to be desired. I had a 1994 Honda accord that I sold when I got the Sienna and it had 415,xxx km on the engine when I sold it. I wanted to get a 99 Odyssey, but with the vast number of tranny problems, I came over to Toyota.

I'm even contemplating to switch over to a 2011 Caravan when the time is right. But that will be a few years away once the price of a used 2011 gets to be in line with what I'm willing to spend.

Regards, JC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In general, Honda and Toyota both are known for reliability and their engines last longer (of course this depends on how well you drive and maintain the car). So, if a person X faces a lot of problem with a particular model, it can either be some manufacturing defect, or may be some maintenance issue, or the way he/she drove. Coming to the quality of the vans, I've observed that Odyssey's quality is firmer than that of Sienna, though by a small margin..

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also asked around before making my purchase. One friend went on and on about how great and reliable his Odyssey was. I was sold on it until he told me energetically that he didn't have to have the engine replaced and the transmission rebuilt until 170K miles. I know Honda has had issues in the past 10 years with their transmissions and paint. I like both vans but I feel the Sienna is a better choice for the long run... I hope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts