1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
59 Posts
I do wonder about that Porsche recommendation.

You know, my brother had a Volvo station wagon for a while about 15 years ago. He bought it because of their reputation for safety and he had three young kids. It spent more time in the shop than on the road. He often wondered if that's how they got their low accident ratings-- volvo being off the road in repairs more often than on it.

As to the Sienna expected to go more than 200,000 miles-- I certainly expect that out of my new 2011. My 1999 Sienna just turned 298,000 miles and is still going strong.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Any car will last "forever" if the owner is willing to spend $$$$$$ fixing/maintaining it and time finding parts for it....or fabricating them from scratch as they do in Cuba. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But, yeah....I should hope that my 2004 will go 200+K miles. My '85 Honda Prelude & '96 Nissan Maxima both did 270+K before I (YMMV) decided they were not worth "fixing" any more. Both of them were mostly trouble-free (excluding expected wear-&-tear & regular/expected maintenance/replacement items) past 150+K miles.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
topspy said:
Any car will last "forever" if the owner is willing to spend $$$$$$ fixing/maintaining it and time finding parts for it....
Absolutely!

Volvos are fine cars, but when they were running an advertising campaign many years ago about the long life of Volvos in Sweden, they conveniently failed to mention that all brands of cars lasted a long time there, because owners were required to maintain their cars well to be allowed to drive them.

Of course Porches stay in service a long time... who is going to scrap anything that expensive and with that much fanatic interest just because some parts have worn out or they want a newer car that connects with their iPod? I wonder how long a Rolls-Royce lives?

Qest T. Silverclaw said:
This is more confirmation as suggesting Porsche as a 200k+ mile brand is actually more ridiculous than anything else they have ever said AFAIK.
Given some of the crap which CR has published, that's saying a lot.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Any vehicle should make it to 200k with reasonable maintenance.

My pathetic 1984 Buick Skylark almost made it to 200k before the shift linkage broke inside the transmission. This vehicle could be best described as a turd wrapped inside a piece of crap.

This was replaced with a 1998 Honda Civic, which made it to 230k relatively drama free miles, if you ignore the failed radiator which took out the head gasket.

The next vehicle was one of the worst offered by Chrysler: a 2001 Dodge Stratus. Other than the clunking front and the rusting body, it was a relatively reliable vehicle. Sold at 180k because I was completely done with it.

Finally, we get to the 2008 Sienna, which made it to 185k before being sold. Easily the most maintenance needy vehicle I have owned. I treasured the weekends that I didn't have to fix something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2004 Sienna lasted over 200k. If I didn't have the TRAC system, I'd still be driving it today. I had it repaired last year, or so I thought, but didn't last. Don't care to try again. Just bought a 2018.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As with stocks, past performance does not predict future behavior. For one thing, there is a lot more cost cutting in current Toyota's now days, from thinner sheet metal to poorly engineered and tested designs. Case in point, the infamous oil cooler lines on Sienna and Highlander tow prep packages in 2008-2010 that rupture. Or the 9 speed transmission issue. My point is that toyota is no different than other auto manufacturers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Any car will last "forever" if the owner is willing to spend $$$$$$ fixing/maintaining it and time finding parts for it....or fabricating them from scratch as they do in Cuba. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But, yeah....I should hope that my 2004 will go 200+K miles. My '85 Honda Prelude & '96 Nissan Maxima both did 270+K before I (YMMV) decided they were not worth "fixing" any more. Both of them were mostly trouble-free (excluding expected wear-&-tear & regular/expected maintenance/replacement items) past 150+K miles.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good post

2009, 94,000 miles, just put in a new steering rack, water pump, and sway bar end links.
New struts/shocks, brakes, and probably AWD center diff clutch, and annual A/C issue
coming up. Different people "give up" at different times.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Diy maintained vehicles last longer. Lube & service companies often charge for but don't do the work. A lot cheaper too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
does anybody know about awd cars needing to replace all tires,when one tire gets a flat ??

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's true if the other 3 tires have much wear and the flat tire cannot be plugged or patched. The diameters of all 4 tires have to be nearly the same or it will mess up the drive train.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts