Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Re: Toyota to recall 600,000 Sienna minivans

Alternate link with MORE DETAILS....

I expect that our Canadian brothers/sisters will have something similar. Those with Siennas in colder climates in Europe and other regions should arrange for an inspection too...

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

==============================================================

Toyota Recalls 600,000 Sienna Minivans
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-new-toyota-recall,0,6193999.story

TORRANCE -- Toyota announced Friday a voluntary recall of 600,000 Sienna minivans because the cable holding the spare tire under the vehicle could break, and the tire could fall from the car.

According to Toyota, corrosion could occur in certain 1998 through 2010 two-wheel drive Siennas that have been operated in cold climate areas where road salt is used.

The salt could cause the cable to rust and eventually break. The spare tire could come loose and fall out of the vehicle.

The automaker, in its statement, admitted they don't have a solution for the problem as of yet.

The recall is directed to Sienna owners in the District of Columbia, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland,

Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

Toyota Sienna owners in California may have their minivans inspected by an authorized dealer.

Owners in other states will receive a separate notification giving details on how to have the minivan inspected, if they desire. The inspection will take approximately 30 minutes depending on the dealer's work schedule.

Toyota has recalled 8.5 million vehicles since November for problems including floor mats that get tangled with the gas pedal and gas pedals that stick, causing sudden acceleration.

Toyota said it was unaware of any accidents or injuries. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it had received six complaints of spare tires falling off Siennas.

Lawmakers remain focused on the spate of recalls affecting the company. Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, and Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., a subcommittee chairman, said they plan to hold a May 6 hearing to look into potential electronic causes of sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles.

Toyota has said it has found no evidence of electronic problems, attributing the issues to sticking gas pedals and accelerators that can become jammed in floor mats.

The Transportation Department has fined the company $16.4 million for failing to promptly notify the government about defective gas pedals among its vehicles. Toyota has until Monday to agree to the penalty or contest it. The fine is the largest civil penalty ever issued to an automaker by the government.

Copyright © 2010, KTLA-TV, Los Angeles

·
Registered
7 Posts

GMPEC said:
Being reported in Canada as well:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/04/16/toyota-sienna-recall.html

I always drop the spare after winter to clean it and check the pressure, but haven't really payed any attention to the cable. I think I will have my own look...
Sa wit on CBC too; and its reported on CarTalkCanada as well.

I also drop the spare (did it last weekend) and so far no issues but to be honest, not really looking for it either.

Pretty common issue on pickups of all brands, so I am not surprised to see it happening with the Sienna.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Recall: 98-10 MY Siennas - Spare Tire Cable

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/04/16/toyota-sienna-recall.html

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-to-begin-voluntary-safety-157049.aspx

Toyota is recalling 870,000 of its Sienna minivans in Canada and the United States because of a potential problem with the cable that secures the spare tire.

The Sienna minivan was not part of an earlier Toyota recall to address accelerator-pedal problems. (Toyota Canada)
In cold-weather climates, road salt can corrode the cable and might cause it to snap. The tire could fall off onto the road and cause a crash.

Toyota Canada said Friday the voluntary recall affects 270,000 two-wheel-drive Siennas from the 1998-2010 model years.

"Toyota Canada is asking owners of affected vehicles to bring their vehicles to their local dealership for an inspection in order to assess the condition of the spare tire carrier assembly," the automaker said in a statement.

Affected Sienna owners will receive a letter in the mail beginning next month, with subsequent notices once a fix has been developed.

In the U.S., the recall affects 600,000 minivans in 20 Midwest and northeastern states. The U.S. government says it has received six complaints involving spare tires falling off Siennas.

The Sienna is not one of the vehicles plagued by sticky-accelerator problems.
When will the recalls end...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Re: Recall: 98-10 MY Siennas - Spare Tire Cable

Get them all out now to avoid another round of bad press later. The current situation is about as negative as it gets, so this doesn't change anything.

·
Registered
290 Posts

I am wondering if it is the cable.....or the little clip at the end that holds that steel cross part that holds the tire that is rusting.
I just had my spare tire off.....cable looked just fine....the that cross piece was rusty......going to paint it.
I will have to look at the clip on the end of the cable...................

I am in Wisconsin......and the vehicle spent its life in Pennsylvania until this winter.....both are salt winter locations.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Every spring I drop the spare to inspect it. While I have it down I shoot the cable and the tube with a bunch of silicone spray. Works great and I've not seen any corrosion. I'm getting ready to do my spring routine soon. I'll have to check it out. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Re: Recall: 98-10 MY Siennas - Spare Tire Cable

Merging this topic/thread with another existing one...

topspy/Mod-Squad

·
Registered
8 Posts

Sure glad I'm in Alabama! ::)

·
Registered
108 Posts

Checked mine; first time it was every lowered. It was a little loose, causing a clunk on rough road I think. Lots of gravel stuck on top of the tire. No rust on the cable, just a little on the underside of the rim. I was impressed with the neat system for lowering and raising it - much less trouble than I expected.

·
Registered
2 Posts

May be someone has a picture of failed cable? I want to know where exactly it breaking. Checked mine, everything is fine.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Family Buggy said:
Every spring I drop the spare to inspect it. While I have it down I shoot the cable and the tube with a bunch of silicone spray. Works great and I've not seen any corrosion. I'm getting ready to do my spring routine soon. I'll have to check it out. ;)
Dropped mine down....looks great....no rust anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts

Had mine looked at on Thursday. The tech even came out to show me what the deal was. At the base the cable may have some rust and the cable may start to fray. Mine had some strainds of the cable that had rusted through. There was lots of cable left to hold the spare tire. They placed the spare in the back of the sienna and secured it down with a ratchet strap. I am OK with this (sort of) It takes up my space to store things..

I would rather not post any pics on the condition of my cable and how the spare was secured at this time.

·
Registered
39 Posts

robo5 said:
...They placed the spare in the back of the sienna and secured it down with a ratchet strap...
Is that the official solution, or is that a stop-gap until one comes along?

·
Premium Member
171 Posts

robo5 said:
They placed the spare in the back of the sienna and secured it down with a ratchet strap. I am OK with this (sort of) It takes up my space to store things..

I would rather not post any pics on the condition of my cable and how the spare was secured at this time.
You are joking... right?

·
Registered
347 Posts

robo5 said:
They placed the spare in the back of the sienna and secured it down with a ratchet strap.

I'm surprised they didn't use black zip ties instead of the ratchet strap. ;D

Seriously though, please tell me this is just a temporary solution until a stronger replacement cable is manufactured?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts

I live in NJ and have not received any recall notice. My Sienna was in the shop yesterday for its free oil change and I tried to kill two birds with one stone. Unfortunately, the service manager said he couldn't even inspect it till I got the official notice from Toyota. Have others actually gotten some sort of recall notice?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts

That's FRACKING IDIOTIC on the part of your service advisor. And I'm trying to be "nice" when I say that. ;D ;D ;D

IMHO....You do NOT need a "notice/letter" from Toyota before they are "allowed" to inspect your vehicle. Not all owners receive notices.....address changes, ownership changes, lost/mis-directed mail, database errors, planetary mis-alignment, wormholes out-of-sync, etc. An example....I've had my 2004 for 6+ years. Toyota has my address. Yet, I STILL haven't received the "recall stickers" to put in my Owner's Manual to tell me the "battery-saver" doesn't work like I think it's supposed to work.

The "notices/letters" are just a communication to alert/advise an owner that there might be a problem and that the vehicle should be inspected and applicable remedies should be implemented. It is not a pass/ticket for you to gain entry.

Take it back. Ask to speak with the service department MANAGER. It is a PUBLICLY KNOWN (& HIGHLY PUBLICIZED BY TOYOTA CORP.) RECALL ISSUE THAT AFFECTS YOUR STATE.

Don't let them jerk you around on this one. And it is an "easy" one too. It's not like they have to drop and rebuild your engine/transmission or something like that. All it takes is for them to lower your spare tire and look at the cable to see if it is rusted/frayed/damaged. Really, it should take all of maybe 10mins after you give them the keys and the service advisor gives you the paperwork.....but give them 30mins because they have to take your car to the holding area, then retrieve your car from the holding area, drive it over to the service bay, inspect it, fill-out their forms (paper/computerized), take the car back to the holding area, coordinate with the service advisor, and then contact you. Of course, this is when they are not busy and don't have other customers/cars in the queue ahead of you.

MORONS....they should have quickly/easily/efficiently done it while you had the oil change. And it's probably something the same lowest level tech (that usually gets delegated things like oil changes & tire rotations, etc) would be doing anyway.

If they give you any further resistance, contact Toyota Corp and complain loudly about the behavior of your dealership and the potential safety/liability risk they are refusing to address for a known issue for which you qualify for an inspection.

You could DIY too, but you'd have to crawl under....

Sorry......it's the moronic academy award winning performances like this one by your service advisor that really upset me and give the GOOD, conscientious service advisors and technicians a bad name.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts