Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
FYI, I just noticed this on the nhtsa website (http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/documentList.do?docId=10V160&docType=RCL&fromPublic=true) so it looks like there might be a fix coming soon:

Safety Recall for Sienna Spare Tire Carrier Cable

Phase 1 Owner Letter Started: Oct. 12th Owner Letter Est. Completion: Late November, 2010 Covers 1998 to 2006 model years Approx. 439,000 vehicles

Phase 2 Owner Letter Starts: early Nov. (anticipate starting 11/5) Owner Letter Est. Completion: Late December, 2010 Covers 2007 to 2009 model years Approx. 115,000 vehicles

Phase 3 Owner Letter Starts: early Dec. (anticipate starting 12/3) Owner Letter Est. Completion: mid-January, 2011 (anticipate 01/10/2011) Covers 2010 model years Approx. 23,000 vehicles

·
Registered
617 Posts
So 2004-2006 vans are not included?

michelb said:
FYI, I just noticed this on the nhtsa website (http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/documentList.do?docId=10V160&docType=RCL&fromPublic=true) so it looks like there might be a fix coming soon:

Phase 1 Owner Letter Started: Oct. 12th Owner Letter Est. Completion: Late November, 2010 Covers 1998 to 2006 model years Approx. 439,000 vehicles

Phase 2 Owner Letter Starts: early Nov. (anticipate starting 11/5) Owner Letter Est. Completion: Late December, 2010 Covers 2007 to 2009 model years Approx. 115,000 vehicles

Phase 3 Owner Letter Starts: early Dec. (anticipate starting 12/3) Owner Letter Est. Completion: mid-January, 2011 (anticipate 01/10/2011) Covers 2010 model years Approx. 23,000 vehicles

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Ummm... doesn't "1998 to 2006 model years" (the target for Phase 1) include 2004-2006? ???

tcp said:
So 2004-2006 vans are not included?

michelb said:

To me, the two interesting parts of this recall are:
  • there is a long-term solution, although without a schedule
  • the Defect Notice has a nice detailed description and chronology, which is a refreshing change from the usual chatter on the web

·
Registered
67 Posts
michelb said:

Um, there is nothing new here. The parts you quoted state that they are merely continuing to send out first phase letters informing owners to come in for an inspection. The final fix has not yet been "implemented".

What is important to note is that they already have their permanent fix. For some reason they are choosing to hold off on actually implementing it. For what reason I do not know. If you look at the following:
http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2010/V/RCDNN-10V160-4765.pdf

Look at page 5. They have already outlined their permanent solution. It seems reasonable enough. For whatever reason, they just aren't doing the repairs yet. I'm not sure what the benefit is of having owners come in the first time to have their vans inspected and then come back again for the repair. Perhaps the parts for the "splash guard" they are talking about aren't ready yet?

But that letter is actually dated July 12th. So 4 months later we're still just going through the inspection motions.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Here's a picture of my tire cable as I was taking the van to get rust proofed at "Rust check". My spare tire is really rusted. I've posted pictures of that too.

Regards, JC.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Call BEFORE you go to your dealer!

I got the recall notice, and out of concern for safety, made an appointment for Satursday at 7am to have this addressed.

After waiting for about 90 minutes, they came to tell me that they did not have the "compound" in stock, or the replacement cable. I'm simply baffled!

Call before you go, ask if they actually have what they need, save your self some time.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Somehow I bet most dealerships act the same way. The don't understand the concept of wasting peoples time!

Next time I would contact the service manager directly and speak with him to make sure they will have what you need. Tell him you make $500 an hour and you really can't afford to be sitting around a dealership waiting room wasting time! :eek:

I'm avoiding going in for this recall. Time time is worth more than their "UPSELL" of what my van needs.

Regards, JC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a follow-up to the dealership issue, I was stil fuming when I got home, so I called the General Manager (who was in at 9am on Saturday), and shared the issue. He was surpirsed, and asked to do some research and call me back.

He called about 90 minutes later, with his service manager in the office, and apologized again.

They offered to call me when the mechanism came in (one would be earmakred for me), and they would come to my home, pick the van up, perfrom the replacement and drive the van home washed and detailed.

That is impressive service and follow-up and exceeded my expectations. Still a frustrating expereince, but they made it right.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
rstanek,

Sounds like the service may be good after all. Let us know if they follow through on that. I know it can be frustrating.

Regards, JC.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Nice recovery by the service manager, but fixing problems after the fact is still much less desirable than creating them in the first place. I have had a similar experience with one of the local dealers, which thought it was perfectly reasonable to schedule me in for work and not notify me that required parts had not arrived, then expect me to come back again a few days later.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Keep in mind that Toyota service departments are really busy right now....and have been for the last few months. There are only 1200 dealerships, total in N. America. When you do the math, it's a tough job out there right now for services advisors/writers. We're all human, including them...mistakes happen.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Sure, mistakes happen, and I can forgive a lot if appropriate corrective actions are taken. On the other hand, in some cases there appears to not be even be an attempt to do the job correctly, and that's hard to excuse.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Re: Call BEFORE you go to your dealer!

rstanek said:
After waiting for about 90 minutes, they came to tell me that they did not have the "compound" in stock, or the replacement cable. I'm simply baffled!

Call before you go, ask if they actually have what they need, save your self some time.
From my understanding on this the "compound" was in short supply at the beginning and as far as the complete assembly. I don't think the dealer can stock it but I am not sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well...

Received notice of this issue in May...inspected shortly after...cable/mechanism needs to be replaced...spare tire still sitting around in the back...holiday travel and all seats in use...storage space lost with spare...dealer unable to say when fix/parts will be available...

As per my earlier post, waiting over 6 months now for a recall fix is totally unacceptable. This is not rocket science.
Toyota should be embarassed.

By the way...I am a wonderful rolling advertisement when our friends ride in our van and ask about why the spare tire is still in back...word of mouth, lack of action and facts can undo a lot of commercial advertising hype...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've sent a request in regards of how long I will have to wait to get the van I bought for big dollars a year and half ago.

Apparently they are now sending letters to canadian owner to get their spare tire cable fixed, finnaly.

To conclude, my expectation were way too high when we bought our first toyota product. Its not a whole of a lot different than what the other manufacturer have to offer, thats true for the product and the attitude.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts