Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I do reading several chats or reviews about it. But I am curious, some says ( i saw it on the utube too) something like this.".......after I changed to amsoil, the shift like butter, bla bla pudding ,jello etc ..." My question, whats going on before they've replace their siennas with amsoil? My " new" 2015 sienna has shifted very smooth/ perfectly fine. And Im sure the 1 owner has never done anything on it since all services had done in tyt dealer diligent ly. Its 50k now. On utube, the tyt ws is so...dark bla bla...but I havent seen the amsoil one after they have used it for years! Or maybe they had the counterfeit tyt ws in their system? Or Im the lucky one with tyt ws in its system?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just stick with Toyota WS. Toyota engineers designed the transmission and they decide what proper fluid works best with their transmissions. I doubt anyone at Amsoil would know better than the engineers at Toyota who designed it. Not saying that Amsoil is not good, just saying that I would trust the Toyota engineers when it comes to the fluids for their own transmission.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that too. They will Not suggesting something that is bad to their own vehicles. Do they make money from it, off course they do and so do other brands too. I've read someone used mobile 1 atf into their tyt! If im not wrong, into their Tundra; the crazy thing, its not written on the bottle that suggested compatible with tyts, he/ she did it based on the fact that tyt WS comes from the same company as mobile1(exxon)😱😱. I think those ppl are hoax/ fake news, nobody will jeopardize their transmission based on that believe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Amsoil is performance oriented while oem fluids are for daily drivers where you don't do a lot of hard driving. It is not "snake oil" though. You can be as skeptical as you want. My 2015 SE has a slight whine like a supercharger when I drive and I will be draining the transmission and going with Redline or Amsoil myself when the weather gets warmer for smoother shifts and hopefully quiet down the whine. Most of my vehicles run Redline and I tested out Amsoil on my last daily driver and it's every bit as good as what people report on youtube and all over car forums around the world. It's more noticeable in manual transmission cars.

Don't do it because the Internet says so though. If your vehicle is fine in your opinion, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New here with a new to me 2013 Seinna XLE FWD. I traded my 2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (I needed the room for a long term gradual move) for it and I have done 7 transmission fluid cold drain and fills on it during the 8 years I owned it. It has the same engine and transmission as the Sienna. I always used MAG 1 full synthetic low viscosity multi-vehicle ATF. The transmission at 77000 miles shifted faster and smoother than it did at 21000 miles when I bought it.

I just did 3 ATF drain and fills on the Sienna (89000 miles) using the same MAG 1 ATF. It greatly improved the transmission performance. It now shifts smoother and puts down more power with less gas. Although most of the improvement is due to fresh ATF, I also think, based on experience with the RX, that MAG 1 is an excellent substitute for WS at a far better price and it is full synthetic, unlike WS. FYI Mag 1 is made by Warren Distribution, one of the largest private label oil refiners in the US. All the Private Label Brands Warren Distribution Makes, If You're Interested They also make Gumout.

I also think the Sienna had the original ATF fill and that the fluid level was a bit low. When I worked on the RX it always drained about 2 quarts and 8 ounces of fluid. The Sienna drained 1 quart and 18 ounces. Although the AWD RX holds 6 more ounces ATF, that is a huge difference and I am not sure that increase is reflected in the drain pan capacity, it may be in the trans cooler. On each drain and fill I experimented adding a little extra ATF and each time it shifted better. On the third fill this Sunday morning I added 2 quarts and think I found the correct level. I was able to inadvertently chirp the tires leaving a traffic light and that had never happened before in the 2 weeks I owned this vehicle. I cannot feel it shift gears. I will drive it this way for a few weeks and do a 4th drain and fill, while thinking about the ATF level.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Get and ODB II reader to read the trans fluid temp and change it correctly so you can ensure you have the correct amount of fluid. What you have done so far just guaranty that it is not at the correct fluid level.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You need to do it right with a temp reading.

Don't guess when it comes to the proper level cause these trannies are rather picky.

Too little fluid and you'll burn it up

Too much fluid and it'll foam, then you'll burn up

Once you know you have the correct level, you can do simple drain and fills measuring exactly what you take out (assuming you don't have any leaks).

As for Amsoil, I'm a big fan of their motor oils as my shop is a distributor (still don't think it's worth the money though), but when it comes to tranny fluid, I prefer to use OEM (or whatever is closest to it)

I've found in past builds that certain Synthetic ATF's tend to be too slick for clutch packs, causing premature wear.

Also, I'm quite leery when it comes to companies that claim to be compatible with all fluid types.

It wasn't too long ago when both GM and Toyota caused a $#!t ton of confusion when they claimed that their then new fluids (DexIV, Type IV, etc) were backwards compatible with all transmission types when they actually weren't :rolleyes:

Lots of failures came after that....

Best to just stick with whatever was originally put in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Back in 2011 or 2012, I had a Toyota dealer fill my 2010 Tundra transmission with AMSOIL ATF. They did the entire procedure with their fluid exchange machine. I think the Tundra was at about 50K miles at the time. I did a drain and fill on it about 3 years ago and the AMSOIL that came out looked perfect. Truck is at 103K miles now. I hope to do another drain and fill this summer. I will more than likely do this to my 2018 XLE but we only have 17k miles on it so far.

I use AMSOIL for everything. My Harley and Honda generator too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone used idemitsu ws in their toyota. It seems very promising compare with other multicars atfs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts