Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the blinking tpms light for a minute and then stay sold after that. I've used Techstream to clear the fault code but notice the following as shown below.

Does this mean one of the tpms sensor is not working properly? Do I have to bring my car to auto shop and have them replace the bad sensor? Thank you.

Kiet

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's looking like #4 isn't transmitting. You'll have to figure out which tire that is. Have you had any tire work done lately, or have you just registered the sensors or pressed the initialization switch?

If you have a Discount Tire nearby, they should be able to help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does your Techstream let you run an active test? I had this happened to my Prius one of my sensor wasn’t transmitting signals. I ran a test (forgot what it was) and guess I woke the sensor up. No problem ever since. Hope yours is as simple as my problem was.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's possible to "ping" a "sleeping" sensor electronically, but not by the van itself. Or, by dropping the tire pressure rapidly (about 6 psi I think) a new OEM sensor can be activated. Usually this is only when the sensor is new; I don't believe the OEM sensors ever go back to sleep.

The Techstream list only has one code, for pressure and temperature data not received from sensor 4. It's odd that the battery is listed as "over" but that data may be old, kept in that memory spot until a "low" signal is transmitted. Also odd is the bottom data line of 0 DTCs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies above. I bought this Sienna used and they had install 4 brand new tires prior to my purchase so I'm not sure if the TPMS sensors are new or the original ones. My techstream does not allow me to run any Active Test as the Active button is greyed out. I will try dropping the psi to see if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
It's possible to "ping" a "sleeping" sensor electronically, but not by the van itself.
The other night I was reading thru the TPMS section of the Service Manual for my daughter's RAV4, and they do describe putting the vehicle into the query mode to request data from the sensors. It's part of the recalibrate cycle - at least on the Pacific system. Don't know if all Toyota systems include this function (TRW on the Sienna).

If it did, the system box would transmit a 125khz ping, and the sensors would sound off with a 315mhz response.

TO THE OP: Any recourse thru the selling dealer? Did the system ever work for you, or did they deliver it in this state?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other night I was reading thru the TPMS section of the Service Manual for my daughter's RAV4, and they do describe putting the vehicle into the query mode to request data from the sensors. It's part of the recalibrate cycle - at least on the Pacific system. Don't know if all Toyota systems include this function (TRW on the Sienna).

If it did, the system box would transmit a 125khz ping, and the sensors would sound off with a 315mhz response.

TO THE OP: Any recourse thru the selling dealer? Did the system ever work for you, or did they deliver it in this state?
It was fine until I was driving the car home from the dealership. Halfway through the drive home, the TPMS light came on. When I checked the tire pressure, one of the tire pressure was very low so I had to add air to it. Even after adding air, the tpms light stayed on and still won't go away.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
It was fine until I was driving the car home from the dealership. Halfway through the drive home, the TPMS light came on. When I checked the tire pressure, one of the tire pressure was very low so I had to add air to it. Even after adding air, the tpms light stayed on and still won't go away.
If the dealership installed new tires and one was low on pressure on the way home, that one may be leaking. You might want to check it each time before you drive to see if it is staying up. After bringing all tires up to the correct pressure, reset the TPMS system - I assume there is a button under the dash to do that like there is on my 2014. The TPMS reset has become a menu option on some recent Toyotas.

The sensors don't start transmitting until they sense wheel rotation. Based on my experience from doing my own winter/summer tire/wheel changeovers, I have to drive about three blocks before this happens.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Since you had tire work done, it's possible that one sensor was damaged. It's also possible--you'd get the same error--if they replaced one sensor, but did not register it into the tire-pressure ECU, or maybe they typed in the wrong sensor ID (that happened to me!).

If you do as Geezer said, and press the initialize button under the steering wheel, then the system will "listen" to get transmissions from the 4 registered sensors. If that one doesn't transmit in a certain time (10 minutes?), then you'll get additional errors of ID not received, and initialization incomplete. You still wouldn't be sure if that one sensor is bad, or if it's not registered properly.

Unfortunately, the easiest solution is to have each pressure monitor pinged and "read" with a tool (like by Autel/Bartec), while still on your van. This will identify a non-transmitting sensor, or also tell if one of the registered IDs (glad you have that Techstream info!) is not correct.

With the leaking tire: maybe its a damaged sensor leaking, and that's the one not transmitting, as Geezer suspected?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts