Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a problem with TPMS that is stumping me. On Saturday, I had a blade cut into the rear driver tire. The TPMS light came on because the tire would not hold air. I switched out with the spare tire. Today, Monday I got 2 new tires to replace the punctured tire and the other rear tire so that it would be a matched pair. However, the TPMS light continues to stay on. I checked the air on all tires and they are all at 35 psi. I also followed the instructions to reinitialize the TPMS system as outlined in the owners manual and that still did not reset the light. The light remains on. Don’t know why it still on. Wondering if anyone has any ideas? It’s on my 2020 Limited and I have an appointment to take it into the dealer to address the issue. But was wondering if anyone knows something that I am missing so I can avoid a trip to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s always a possibility. Hopefully not. From what I can tell those sensors are part of the valve stem so it’s not something that’s easily broken. But you never know. I was wondering how these sensors work. If they always send a signal or if they only send a signal if it’s low pressure. If the latter, then would the battery run out since I did not replace it for 2 days. Again, I have no idea how these sensors work.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Does the light blink for a minute, or is it just solid "on?"

If it blinks for a minute, there's an error code(s) stored. You can read it by jumpering 3-14 of the OBD port.

If the light is just on solid, then a tire is below the low pressure threshold.

Only ever push the TPMS reset when there are no TPMS warning lights. The reset only changes the set-point and low-pressure thresholds of the system.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Currently at the dealer right now. Diagnoses is a damaged TPMS sensor. They said there’s a crack in the sensor so it’s physical damage and not covered under warrenty. I also have an extended platinum warrenty which is also not covering it. Cost to replace is $257 + tax. Most likely damaged when the tire was completely flat. Oh well. Just waiting for them to finish the fix.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, before anyone mentions it, yes I know that’s highway robbery for TPMS sensor, since I think Discount can change one our for under $100. But just backed up with time so having the dealer do it due to time constraints since I am already here at the dealer and they can get it done in 45 minutes whereas I’ll most likely have to wait a a couple of hours once i get to a Discount tire.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well strange things are happening today. The dealer replaced the TPMS sensor and came out and tell me that the new replacement is also defective since it did not turn off the light. He told me they would have to order a new one which will arrive tomorrow. I told him I can’t wait and then I’m traveling tonight which I am. So I took the car and left. By chance I stop by discount tire where I had the tires replaced and ask them if they had a replacement sensor. They said they do but they wanted to check the car before they would install a sensor. They took the little computer out and re-initialize all the four sensors and reset the TPMS system. And that solve the problem. So the guy at discount told me that the dealer probably did not know that they needed to re-initialize the new sensor when they installed it. So all this ending up costing me nothing except time. Next time I’ll just take it to discount tire to begin with instead of the dealer.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The system isn't that complicated, but one must know the codes to diagnose problems.

If you haven't seen fibber's thread, this Autel machine really worth looking at.

Someone on another board that I play on posted a link to an ebay site with a price on this full feature tool that's well less than half of what I paid nearly 2 years ago. The seller feedback seems good, so it appears to be legit. This even undercuts the ATEQ Quickset price.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Like the comment above, the system isn't that complicated so what's strange to me is that your dealer could not resolve it. If I were in your shoes, I'd think twice about having work done there for things that are actually complicated.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,384 Posts
Just saw this! All I can say is wow...

Probably the compressed and flopping flat tire cracked the sensor. They have a simple plastic shell, so it wouldn't take a whole lot of stress to kill one. The straight fixed angle shaft of the one-piece design probably makes them more sensitive to stress damage as they might not sit flush with the inside of the rim.

That a Toyota dealer couldn't reregister (upload) 4 hex ID codes to reset the system is pretty sad. The dealer actually has two methods:

1) Do it like any tire shop. Scan all 4 tires with a handheld tool like the Autel TS508, then upload the captured codes thru the OBD port.

2) Do it like a Toyota pro: Plug in Toyota Techstream, call up the TPMS page, and overtype the ID of the new sensor to replace the ID of the damage unit.

That Discount Tire let you leave without verifying that all sensors were properly transmitting and that the dash light was out (which it should have been almost immediately if they had pinged it to verify that it was not damaged!) is also sad. They are a tire shop, and should know better.....

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I am stumped as to why the dealer did not know how to initialize the new TPMS sensor. I guess I will not be taking the van to them to do any real mechanic work.

·
Registered
576 Posts
2) Do it like a Toyota pro: Plug in Toyota Techstream, call up the TPMS page, and overtype the ID of the new sensor to replace the ID of the damage unit.
Long story short I ended up with a Foxwell NT510 Elite with Toyota software. It has a TPMS area and had a non-functioning ID Registration section since I bought it. Eager to have such a tool at my disposal I immediately contacted them about developing it. Finally they did within the last three weeks. (I was working on checking their work on our ‘12 Prius v). It programs 4 sensors only, and not the spare. (I was hoping to add a spare).

Suffices to say I paid the piper (Toyota $65) and downloaded the latest Techstream. I could not select the single TPMS ID and replace it, or at least I did not figure out how. And also it only programs the four sensors in a batch, no option for the 5th.

I ended up purchasing an Autel tool and with some “resistance” from the car’s system added a 5th sensor....

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,384 Posts
I ended up purchasing an Autel tool and with some “resistance” from the car’s system added a 5th sensor....
Are you sure you achieved what you think you did? My understanding is that most Toyota systems only hold 4 with the exception of some SUV/Trucks that came with full sized spares. If Techstream indicated 4 slots, there is probably only 4 slots. Try viewing it again and see which hex ID codes are really resident.

Reactions: pjksr02
1 - 16 of 16 Posts