Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. New '22 Sienna XSE, 783 total miles - as I was driving to work today the center media console displayed a Vehicle Alert (which played audibly, as well!), stating that, "A malfunction in the Tire Pressure Warning System has been detected. Do not rely on this system. Contact your dealer in order to have your vehicle inspected immediately." (Picture, below).

The low tire pressure light also illuminated on the dash. Has anyone had this happen, before? I haven't checked the tire pressure, but I'm going to stop at a gas station to check the pressure before driving my 30 mile commute home today! This warning seems more involved than the simple, "Your tire pressure is low, dummy!" alert.

I scheduled an appointment with the dealership for tomorrow at 8am, I'm glad they had a spot for me on such short notice. Do you think I should be overly concerned between now and then? Should I ask them for a loaner vehicle while they have mine? I've never had to take a new vehicle to the shop!

Rectangle Font Electronic device Gas Parallel

·
Registered
763 Posts
This is exactly what happened. Cancelled my dealership appointment. I'll reschedule if it comes back!
Oh, I would go to the dealership anyway. It could be one of those intermittent problems that would pop up next time, in accordance with Murphy's Law, when you least can afford having it.

Reactions: FatherPercy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I would go to the dealership anyway. It could be one of those intermittent problems that would pop up next time, in accordance with Murphy's Law, when you least can afford having it.
You're definitely right. Luckily, I'm dropping it off for an oil change on Monday (inaugural 1k break-in oil change!), and they're going to take a look at it then!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
This is exactly what happened. Cancelled my dealership appointment. I'll reschedule if it comes back!
Yeah, thanks for confirming. Not surprised. My intuition here is there are some very minor / only occasionally seen bugs in the software code that lead to these error messages... something that can easily be corrected with a patch once they devote some coding time to it.

My next prediction is that the dealer service team will tell you they couldn't replicate the issue, couldn't do anything today to address it, but will make a note of it in your file.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Received the TPMS Malfunction notice as well (around 20k miles) and the dealer initially gave me the shoulder shrug and asked if my tires were properly inflated...um, yes they are. After over three hours of "assessing the problem" they said the sensor control connector in the headliner might have been loose since they disconnected/reconnected it and there were no dash indicators on afterwards. One would think that a sensor malfunction would mean replacing the sensors themselves or checking the control software? Dealer said they noted it and if it happens again to take it back and they can reassess. It happened again...not sure if I really want to go back. Lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just this weekend I got an alert from my TPMS that one of the tires was at 14psi. A minute later, the message disappeared and the pressure showed as 31psi in the display. Has that happened to anyone else and if so, did you experience any further issues later on?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just this weekend I got an alert from my TPMS that one of the tires was at 14psi. A minute later, the message disappeared and the pressure showed as 31psi in the display. Has that happened to anyone else and if so, did you experience any further issues later on?
Yes, not quite as dramatic, though. I think one wheel insisted on showing 4-5 psi than it really was, and the this problem magically went away after the dealership examined the van and declared this a "non-reproducible event". They probably secretly fixed it just for the heck of it, because I didn't see a corresponding item on my service ticket.

·
Registered
764 Posts
One of our tires would regularly show bit higher PSI so took some air out and measured manually and all 4 tires within 1/2 PSI of each other. This was while in garage so no sunlight effect.

That tire now mostly same as other tires but every once in a while it reads 1 PSI higher so bothers my OCD!! Obviously there will be variation as tires warm up during driving but hey why that same one tire!! o_O

I would suggest that all owners manually check every so often and not just rely on MID readout.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You are not alone, I have been getting this TPMS malfunction alert multiple times since I got my 2021 XSE since May. Took the car back to the dealer and all they did was clear the code and said they cannot replicate the issue. On my third visit, they finally replaced the TPMS receiver but after a few months, the alert came back again.

A few items also I noticed:
It occurs mostly in hot weather, did not encounter the issue most of the time in Winter
95% occurs when I am driving at a high speed 80mph+

Gadget Gesture Font Display device Multimedia

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also had this happen to me at about 75 mph on a 90 degree day, after driving for a few hours. It did go away after I turned the car off for a few minutes and I haven’t seen it since. I have aftermarket wheels but sensors have been fine since instal. Car and wheels have about 4000 miles on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had this issue come up 10X+ times so far. I want to put some things I noticed here:
  • Happens when at highway speeds for about 45+ minutes.
  • Does seems like heat might be a factor, but hard to tell...
  • Goes away after a day or so.
I took it to my dealer and they replaces a tpms sensor with no luck. They are still working on the issue and have ordered an ECU unit for it. When I went to go pick up the loaner car from them, they thought they had found that the issue was my wireless carplay adapter. They said that as soon as they unplugged it the error went away, but as soon as they plugged it back in the error came back. I have a hard time believing that this could be the problem, but it's possible I guess.

I want to see if others on here have any aftermarket accessories installed to see if there is a common reason across the board. I personally have a wireless carplay adapter that plugs into the carplay USB port, and a video baby monitor that's simply plugged into the 12v outlet. I hope that you'll list out any accessories that you may that are plugged in when the issue occurs in hopes that we can narrow it down.

Or has anyone here actually found a real solution to the issue?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had this issue come up 10X+ times so far. I want to put some things I noticed here:
  • Happens when at highway speeds for about 45+ minutes.
  • Does seems like heat might be a factor, but hard to tell...
  • Goes away after a day or so.
I took it to my dealer and they replaces a tpms sensor with no luck. They are still working on the issue and have ordered an ECU unit for it. When I went to go pick up the loaner car from them, they thought they had found that the issue was my wireless carplay adapter. They said that as soon as they unplugged it the error went away, but as soon as they plugged it back in the error came back. I have a hard time believing that this could be the problem, but it's possible I guess.

I want to see if others on here have any aftermarket accessories installed to see if there is a common reason across the board. I personally have a wireless carplay adapter that plugs into the carplay USB port, and a video baby monitor that's simply plugged into the 12v outlet. I hope that you'll list out any accessories that you may that are plugged in when the issue occurs in hopes that we can narrow it down.

Or has anyone here actually found a real solution to the issue?
I also have a wireless CarPlay adapter plugged in. Carlinkit 3. Nothing else though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts