Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to the Sienna family, just bought my used 2004 CE a few days ago. I bought it knowing it would need front tires. I live in a small town, not many options, local Walmart had nothing in stock so I ordered some in. When they arrived today I went in to have them installed. The guy asked some obvious questions, including do you want new valve stems? I said yes, not having any idea the van had TPMS. Hey, I'm just the customer, they are the "pros" right?

So an hour later I leave and halfway home suddenly there is a TPMS light on the dash. Oh crap. So I turn around and go straight back. The service manager says the technician did not remove TPMS and install regular valve stems. Rather, the van must have an "indirect system". So he takes this little hand-held device and goes around to each wheel, performs a procedure and declares it done. The van was idling the whole time and still had the light displayed, so he checked the air pressure and found them to be high (UGH). So he resets the air pressure and the light is still on. Then he gets out this book, and we go through this reset procedure. Eventually I leave with the light off, but once again before I get home the light is back on. So I call and tell him that, but say I am not coming back today.

So, oh wise and knowledgeable ones, what is the problem, and how do I solve it? Did the technician remove TPMS sensors and replace them with standard rubber valve stems? Or is this system "indirect" as he said, and if so, how do I go about getting things right again? I am leaving soon on a long highway journey and since I now know that the van has TPMS I sure don't want to drive the entire time staring at that little amber light!! Please help, thanks!

·
Registered
553 Posts
As far as I know there are no TPMS sensors in your tires. What I would do is make sure all tires are inflated to the correct pressure , check owners manual or drivers side door jamb for the pressure. THEN reset the system. I believe I did it only once since I have had my 06LE and the procedure is outlined in your owners manual as well.
Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 8.03.24 AM.png

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 2004 is an indirect system, uses the ABS sensors to detect a decrease in the rolling radius of the tire. After resetting from inside the van it must be driven for a period of time for the system to
"learn" the baseline readings. Needs to be mostly straight line, it took 20-30 minutes on our '04.

·
Registered
142 Posts
every time i rotated my van's tire, front to rear, rear to front, same side, and i always get the TPMS light on dash after driven about 10 miles on highway, what i've found and done right after i rotate, make sure all tire have same psi, and then proceed by pushing the reset TPMS button

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
The responses are correct: The "Direct Read" TPMS was introduced on the Gen-II vans in 2007. You have ABS rotational reading indirect TPMS, and thus NO sensors in the wheels.

Air them up and follow the reset procedure.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I will add to this. If the light is on you can reset by just pressing the reset switch and light goes out. The light will come back on after a bit. To do a full reset. Set tire pressures and press and HOLD the reset button until the light flashes 3 times and goes out. Light must flash 3 times and goes out after.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for your kindness and knowledge! I have a sick kitty to take to the vet but after I deal with that I will follow your suggestions and drive the van for a bit to see if the light (hopefully) does not come back on again. Thank you!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just to add a little to the already great responses...

When you check your tires and adjust to the correct pressure, do so in the morning before driving the van at all. You want to set them when "cold". Then do the full TPMS reset as described in the manual.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
What size tire? Check all that they are the same size.

This isn't an AWD? We have an AWD, and on the way to a place 30 mi away had a tire blow out. The runflat got me to Walmart, and they only had a regular non-runflat as a replacement. On it went, light was off as I left, then came on as I was driving. Even adjusted to proper pressure all around in the morning, the light would come back on. If you mix non-runflat with runflat this could cause the light to come back on as noted.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What size tire? Check all that they are the same size.

This isn't an AWD? We have an AWD, and on the way to a place 30 mi away had a tire blow out. The runflat got me to Walmart, and they only had a regular non-runflat as a replacement. On it went, light was off as I left, then came on as I was driving. Even adjusted to proper pressure all around in the morning, the light would come back on. If you mix non-runflat with runflat this could cause the light to come back on as noted.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
No, it is the base model CE and not AWD. And the tire size is original, 215/65-16. Knowing that I needed two new tires when I bought it, I kinda wanted to bump that OEM size up to 225/60-16 or even 225/65-16, but I'd have had to replace all four at once to do that and that just was not in my budget right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much everyone for the great advice and tips. This morning I did the reset procedure then drove 45 minutes to an appointment. Light never came back on. It did not make a reappearance on the way home either. I also went on Amazon and ordered myself a very nice air pressure gauge, since the one I had is just one of those cheap stick ones. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to add to the fun, don't forget to add air to your tires when you are hauling extra passengers and/or cargo on your trips. Tire pressure should be proportional to the load on the tire. The sticker inflation pressure is for two people, usually, and that is one point on the curve and the minimum pressure for that car with that tire.. The maximum tire pressure is on the sidewall along with the maximum tire load, that is the high end of the curve. But this curve is not a straight line, and we need to add even more psi to accommodate a little more weight. (A Continental Tire engineer verified all this information for me.)

It is far safer to run tires slightly overinflated than underinflated even a little; underinflated tires flex and blow out, squirm and lose control, hydroplane more readily, and eat gas and tread faster. I usually run 2-4 psi over sticker for my usual stuff, and will go to full max. pressure when hauling heavy stuff, just like my F-350 pickup.

Another common low tire pressure mistake is when we change to tires with higher maximum pressures, like 44 psi to 51 psi.and still follow the sticker pressures. The 51 psi tires need more tire pressure to stay on that curve. Most tire people don't seem to know that.and usually underinflate 51 psi tires.

All of which makes a self-resetting TPMS a good thing. A lot of cars have procedures for resetting the TPMS at home in the Owners or Service Manual; it seems to be different for different years of Siennas. I am gonna have to go look mine up again!

A side note: check out the Nokian WR Gen4 tires, they are a high-performance all-weather option for Siennas with a higher load rating. Discount Tire has them for a good price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts