Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TPMS Reprogram Clarification Questions

I'm trying to wrap my head around which tools I need to reprogram my TPMS sensors.

I have a 2013 Sienna SE and this past winter I bought winter tires/ wheels and sensors from Costco. Costco installed them and reprogrammed the new sensors into the vehicle. (I have the new sensor ID's recorded for future programming, although not in specific tire location). I have now taken the winter tires off and put the summers back on. So these are my questions:

1. Does this van retain both sets of sensor ID's in the computer and if so can I reset the TMPS system with the button under the driver side console to switch back to the summer tire sensors?
2. If no to the above, the ATEQ Quickset tool with allow me to preprogram the summer sensors back in to the vehicle computer?
3. If they are not stored in the vehicles computer, how do I get the sensor ID's for my existing summer tires/ sensors? Do I need the ATEQ VT31 also to do this?
4. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i'm in the similar situation...

Purchase a set of TRW Sienna TPMS sensors, recorded the Sensor ID's before getting them installed on my summer wheels.
Inputted the New ID's in the ATEQ Quickset and loaded into the cars system, but doesn't work - the light is still on.

My understanding is the new sensor's need a 'wake up', and that I also need the ATEQ VT31?
Sucks that I have to fork out another $200 for this other tool.

·
Super Moderator
4,874 Posts
Deconvoluting TPMS:

1) Your Sienna is equipped with a TPMS system built by Pacific Industries, and is only used on a few Toyota and Hyundai models. It's a relatively basic system. The on-board module only retains the 4 sensors in use, and thus you do have to update the hex ID numbers of 4 other sensors if you intend to use winter tires. Be careful with any dash reset button you find on a Toyota, as they only work for some system adjustment *IF* valid ID numbers of the sensors in use are in the computer. Otherwise it can get caught up in a loop and you need yet another special shop tool to regain control! And I have to admit, I didn't even know it was there on the Gen-III vans until very recently - it's that well hidden!

2) The ATEQ Quickset will allow you to download the existing sensor ID's in use, store them on your PC with the Quickset software, type in the sensor codes of your winter set, and upload them to replace the existing summer set.

3) A VT31 or equivalent tool (I own a Autel TS408) is a great complement and would allow you to pull codes from each wheel, but it's not essential if you recorded the numbers when you assembled your winter tire package.

4) I've done Sienna Pacific sensors twice (2008 and 2015), and had no issues with wake-up. I did however, have Schrader sensors for my Subaru arrive in deep sleep, and had to have a local shop walk around with a VT55 and ping them awake. The service was free, the tip for being a nice guy cost me $10. Don't buy another tool for that - it's a one time issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. So by pressing that reset button once the summer tires were installed and the winter tires id's were still in the computer, I may have put the system in a loop. Hopefully with the winter sensors still close by in the garage I didn't do that.

So if I'm understanding correctly, when the new winter tires were installed the van was uploaded with the new winter sensors and the id's for my summer tires were lost? So I do need the VT31 or Autel TS408 to pull the id codes from the summer tire sensors. And then I need ATEQ Quickset tool to upload them to the van.

·
Super Moderator
4,874 Posts
Thanks for the response. So by pressing that reset button once the summer tires were installed and the winter tires id's were still in the computer, I may have put the system in a loop. Hopefully with the winter sensors still close by in the garage I didn't do that.
Exactly how it may react seems to be a mystery, but you might have gotten away with it given the other set of tires was close by. Time will tell!

So if I'm understanding correctly, when the new winter tires were installed the van was uploaded with the new winter sensors and the id's for my summer tires were lost? So I do need the VT31 or Autel TS408 to pull the id codes from the summer tire sensors. And then I need ATEQ Quickset tool to upload them to the van.
Correct, unfortunately. But again, as much fun as it is to have your own pinger, I ran this game for nearly 10 years before moving beyond the simple Quickset as my only tool. Slip a tire store tech a $10 and ask him to ping and record your 4 tire ID numbers.

Oh, and print out your sensor ID numbers! My computer recently took a permanent, trash can inducing, life altering dump in a thunderstorm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually found a guy that does work out of his own garage and he said he'll pull the id's for me for no charge so I'll make it worth while for him. Saves me having to buy the TS408 for now.

I should receive my ATEQ Quickset tool today so I'll use that to hopefully pull the winter ID's from the vans computer and upload them to the software. If not I have a picture and print out of them anyways (now, thanks for the tip), just not in the specific wheel location. Then I'll go see the guy to get the id's pulled from my summer tires. I'll upload those into the software and then into the van. If all goes well I should be back in business this weekend. I'll report back with an update once its done.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
4,874 Posts
Don't worry about the tire corner location with the Pacific system. It only uses a single antenna, so has no idea which sensor is which.

Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So everything worked out as expected. I received my ATEC Quickset tool and pulling the winter id's from the vans computer was easy. The guy I went to see was using the MaxiTPMS TS508 and was able to read the id's from my existing summer tires no problem and he actually reprogrammed them back into the van for me too. The TS508 does it all. Took him less than 5 minutes. The TPMS light went out after driving a couple hundred feet. Thankfully I hadn't put the system into a loop. I then downloaded the summer id's from the van into my ATEC quickset tool and software and printed all the id's as well just in case. So I have both sets of id's properly loaded into the Quickset tool and software and I'm all set for an easy change back and forth going forward. Thanks again fibber2 for your help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
turned out my situation was 3 out of 4 sensors I bought were complete shit.
stupid me, didn't have the ID's read before getting them installed (so I would have found out if they are working or not vs. writing the ID's before install) and I also wasted money on the install and balance.

So much for trying to save money buying the sensors online, now it's gonna cost me much more to get the sensors from the dealer now (which hopefully don't sell China imitation sensors) and pay again for the install to hopefully get it right this time.

fck it, I'll leave the light on LMAO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts