Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Sienna with 57k miles. TPMS light came on recently, and I took it back to the tire store where I bought the tires at around 50k miles. They found a nail in one tire and patched it, but then said they couldn't get the TPMS light to turn off. They told me they used their tool to diagnose, and found that three of the sending units had failed, and recommended a $550 replacement. They also rotated the tires.

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, it sounds like maybe they didn't reset the TPMS (is there a button in the car?), and possible they needed to use a tool so the controller can 're-learn' the sensors.

I've never had this light turn on before, tires have been great until this nail. To me it seems unlikely that three out of four sensors would fail suddenly, at the same time that I had a leak.

Are there any other questions I can ask the tire shop on this, to make sure they are doing their due diligence?

Thanks for any advice

·
Super Moderator
4,874 Posts
Ask them to walk around with you and 'ping' each tire with their tool. You should get a response with a hex ID code, temperature, pressure and battery status.

As no sensors have been changed (yet), no relearning should be necessary. Fix the flat tire, reinflate and drive, and the light should go off pretty quickly. You will only need a tool for uploading the 4 codes if one or more need to be replaced.

When a tire looses pressure, the sensor does go into overtime broadcasting the warning. So it is possible that a now nearly 7 year old sensor could have been run down by the experience and need replacing. But I find it really amazing that 3 should die on the same day. Buy a lottery ticket!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn’t have time when I picked up the van to have them show me the test for each tire. I did press the reset button, and the tire light went out. The technician implied that the light should stay on if the sensors are bad. Does the light going out from the reset button indicate anything different?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd say the reset button turning the light off means the sensors are good. They can act up during cold weather as they get older. Average lifespan is about 10 years before the sensors battery dies. Also, what planet are they on? Those TPMS sensors are like 30 bucks each.

·
Super Moderator
4,874 Posts
A solid on light means that low pressure had been detected. A flashing light indicates a fault, and a code might have been stored. Loss of communications with one or more sensors is one of the situations that could trigger a fault and code.

The 'button' is a tricky business. You should verify that all 4 sensors are good and that the 4 hex ID's of these sensors have been properly uploaded to the TPMS ECU. The button is intended to be the final link. If you push the button and the prior steps have not been successfully done, the system can get hosed, and it can be hard to gain back control. According to Schrader (they sell a Toyota 'deconvolution' tool) this should have been fixed by the time the Gen-III vans hit the road, but some still say it can happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts